PDA

View Full Version : E91A question

Archive
09-03-2002, 03:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>Does anyone know how many and which of the E91 Set A "fake designs" actually depict the player named. Seems Plank and Reulbach have been identified as taken from actual photos. Any others? also, are any known for certain as NOT depicting the player named? Any info appreciated..........Todd

Archive
09-03-2002, 04:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Andy Baran</b><p>I believe that all of the cards in Set A depict the actual ball player, but I could be wrong, as I don't own any of the cards. It is my understanding that the images from Set A were then used for Sets B & C, thus none of the photos in those sets depict the actual player. Is this correct? Pete Calderon could probably provide a more detailed answer.

Archive
09-03-2002, 04:46 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Here's a link to Pete's site for e91<BR><BR><a href="http://www.caramel-cards.com/e91.html" target=_new>http://www.caramel-cards.com/e91.html</a><BR><BR>Jay

Archive
09-04-2002, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>It has always been my understanding that the "A" set was created off photos of the named players. Some look like the intended players more than others. <BR><BR>I have seen photos of a few of the player's poses that were used for this set but I can't say this for all 33 cards in the "A:" set but I'm always looking.<BR><BR>

Archive
09-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>for the info. Seems like Set A should be valued higher than the others, since at least those may not be "fake designs". Doesn't appear to play out that way in the market though.<BR>Regards...........todd

Archive
09-04-2002, 09:29 PM
Posted By: <b>BcD</b><p>The set is historically tagged as ugly and like the T-207 set will always be undervalued.the additional irony is that you almost never find one of these in better than "true" or "real" "EX". Only a handful have been graded by any grading service of respect higher than nearMint and even of those they are very few.

Archive
09-20-2002, 10:15 PM
Posted By: <b>brian parker</b><p>Sorry for such a delayed response--been away from the keyboard for a good long time and just catching up to this. I have researched and written an article that I plan on sending to VCBC about this set. With my research I discovered photos of 21 of the 33 cards in the E91 set that I believe the artist used when creating these cards (but only in regards to the player's face--the bodies for the most part seem generic). A further eight player's cards were not exact matches, but in my eyes appear to be accurate depictions of the player due to facial characteristics. The final 4 cards in the set either did not seem to match the photos I had for the player, or, as in the case of one (Daniel Shay), I was not able to locate his photo.<BR><BR>I believe the set (especially the E91A subset and the holdovers in the E91B) are undervalued, because of how they have been tagged with the "generic" label. Perhaps the article (when my rear gets into gear) will open some eyes to a set that many collectors would rate just a notch above most of the strip card sets.<BR><BR>Brian

Archive
09-21-2002, 12:50 AM
Posted By: <b>brian parker</b><p>By the way, the three cards that to me did not appear to be a close representation of the player were Brown, Devlin, and Chance.<BR><BR>Brian