PDA

View Full Version : Untitled

Archive
09-13-2002, 09:51 PM
Posted By: <b>David&nbsp; </b><p>I don't know what the 'book price' for this item is, but why would you pay this amount of money when you can get a Greenberg mint signed index card for $30-50 bucks. I always laugh at that '1 of 1' stuff, when there are probably at least a thousand Greenberg autographs out there. <BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1857704657" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1857704657</a>

Archive
09-13-2002, 10:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>....

Archive
09-13-2002, 10:10 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>It's essentially an oversized trading card with a Greenberg signed index card or cut. The fact that it's a trading card is why it has such a high price tag (My contention has always been that trading card collectors are a touch goofy).<BR><BR>The funny thing is that it is cheaper for Playoff to buy a Greenberg autograph than get Mike Piazza or Mariano Rivera under contract.

Archive
09-14-2002, 07:57 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>The autograph cards are the only ones that have any legitimate value, since at least they are WHOLE. There is added value because of the scarcity of the card itself, and sometimes because of the scarcity of the autograph (but as David pointed out, not in this case). Personally, I think combining vintage with a modern piece of cardboard is a confliction that ruins the idea of collecting the autograph.<BR><BR>I will digress here at the end - I'll never forget the first time I saw a pack of "non-card" cards. I was in one of those "sports memorabilia" stores in the mall and saw a pack of cards for something like $8. The proprietor explained that it might have a "game-used bat" card inside. When he explained what that meant I was stunned. My first thought was "why would anyone cut up a perfectly good bat?". Next thought: "why would anyone pay for a sliver of ANYTHING?". Now we're all used to this ridiculous marketing ploy and it doesn't seem as odd...but IT IS. <BR><BR><br><br>

Archive
09-14-2002, 12:30 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I want to note that I'm not a fuddy duddy (I'm not that old yet), and think that the Topps and Fleers of the world issuing autographed cards is a good idea. Some of the cards are neat looking and it is a good way for a normal person to safely buy autographs. For my old newsletter, I once asked James Spence what he thought of the cards authenticity wise. He said that he saw a few problems, but most looked legitimate to him. If I bought a pack and pulled a Willie Mays or Johnny Unitas autograph I would be as tickled pink as the next person ... I just thought that price difference between the Greenberg 'authorized' matted index card and a normal Greenberg index card you could matt and frame yourself (with a picture too!) was striking.

Archive
09-14-2002, 12:34 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>If anyone wants to read the 11-08-2001 interview with James Spence (PSA/DNA), below is the link<BR><BR><a href="http://www.cycleback.com/nov8.htm" target=_new>http://www.cycleback.com/nov8.htm</a>

Archive
09-14-2002, 08:13 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>I must sheepishly confess that I bought a "bat card" of Johnny Evers the other day on ebay. It was the blue background variety (the others I have seen have all been the yellow background or Chicago variety). I have the T206 already but the blue Evers has always been a fvorite of mine, besides the Crab was a helluva ballplayer. A chip of his bat to boot? Well, to each his own...

Archive
09-16-2002, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>...there was a poster a while back that confessed to having bought a Joe Jackson bat card - he made it sound like a reasonable and affordable alternative to owning a Joe Jackson card and I succumbed. <BR><BR>This card sat on a shelf for about 6 months and just failed to emmanate any nostalgia. I kept expecting Joe's ghost to tap me on the shoulder and whisper baseball lore while I played on the computer, but I guess I got a chip of dead wood from that bat. Anyway, I sold it and don't miss it at all.<BR><BR>Now, the Britney Spears "swatch" is a whole different story...yeah, Britney, keep talking to me.<br><br>