PDA

View Full Version : a little off topic..... cards cut from sheets and grading

Archive
09-10-2002, 10:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Ronald Haynes</b><p>I realize that this may be a little off topic for<BR>this group, as I am sure there are (almost) never<BR>pre-war cards cut from "uncut sheets". What do<BR>grading companies do about cards which are cut<BR>from uncut sheets? Does PSA, BGS, SCD etc... grade<BR>these like any other card? For example, consider<BR>a Gretzky O Pee Chee rookie cut from a sheet<BR>using top quality modern technology. Can the<BR>grading companies detect this? If so, will they<BR>grade the card? <BR><BR>

Archive
09-10-2002, 10:40 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I know that Beckett graded 1957 Topps cards cut from sheets, when they were told by the submitter that they were cut from sheets.

Archive
09-10-2002, 10:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>how do you suppose they got to be cards in the first place?

Archive
09-10-2002, 10:50 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>If your question is specifc, I can tell you that OPC Hockey and Baseball cards would be about the most difficult cards to deceptively trim and cut from sheets. Anyone who owns an old OPC knows why.<BR><BR>Personally, I don't have a problem with graders grading cards cut from sheets, as long as they label them as being cut from sheets. Whether or not a card cut from a sheet is of equal or less value is a question that should be left up to the informed buyer, not the seller or grader.

Archive
09-11-2002, 01:14 AM
Posted By: <b>B C Daniels</b><p>graded a trimmed from sheet entire T-204 set of which the lowest grade was "80" about four years ago and it sold ( the set) in the mastro auction for giant coin! I remember bailing out at $30k. This price of course now looks like a bargain!

Archive
09-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Craig</b><p>Just a thought, but is there any chance that someone videotaped that cutting? In my mind, that would be an amazing thing to see ( a bit nerve-wracking as well). It's hard to believe that someone wouldn't want to catch that on tape.

Archive
09-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Ronald Haynes</b><p>Hello all, thanks for the replies.... You<BR>are write about the O-Pee-Chee "cutting", the rough<BR>cuts are quite infamous. I have been told that <BR>the cards were not actually "cut" from the sheets<BR>at the factory. In fact, instead of using a "blade",<BR>a wire was used, in much the same way a "old fashioned" cheese cutter works.... can someone<BR>verify this technique?<BR><BR>Cheers:)<BR>R Haynes

Archive
09-11-2002, 12:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Ronald Haynes</b><p>I hate looking at messages I post for fear of what I will see!!!

Archive
09-12-2002, 03:25 AM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I once owned the 79 OPC Set in Uncut Sheets (3 sheets). Though nice looking, it was not in a state that anyone would be cutting mint cards off it. The Gretzky, somewhere in the middle if I recall correctly, was clean other than it had a wrinkle. <BR><BR>To be honest, I don't know what critereon the companies use to grade OPC cards, and, to be honest, don't particuarly care. Due to OPC's natural fro boarders (though the degree varies), how to grade these cards is as much of a philisophical question as a technical one. Some would say that an old OPC can't be Mint unless it has clean/sharp edges, and others will say if it has a clean/borders edges it's not an OPC. And they may both be right! Personally, I find the rough edges to be half of the charm of the issues. It's kind of like Rube Waddell. If Rube had an education, he wouldn't have been nearly as interesting.

Archive
09-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I sent in a '60s baseball card that was blank-backed, too large, and came from a series of uncut sheets that were sliced up in the '90s (I believe that was the story). SGC sent it back with a note that there was evidence of trimming. I guess so!

Archive
09-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Albie O'Hanian</b><p>BGS and BVG will grade OPC cards cut from sheets. Check out the number of BGS and BVG cards there are in early 1980's OPC. Many are cards sold from the same dealers. Apparently PSA does not grade these cards. Also, the W series cards in high grade that were cut from sheets recently are being graded by SGC.