PDA

View Full Version : Wagner Cigar Box Insert on ebay

Archive
09-01-2002, 02:36 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Any opinions on this? I saw one of these on ebay previously, but I thought it was a knock-off of a modern metal sign. Were cigar box "inserts" really made, or, if real, is it more likely that it's simply the top cut out of a box, with the back-side skinned?<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854894397&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854894397&rd=1</a>

Archive
09-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Not legitimate

Archive
09-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p>Hi Scott<BR> It looks like the inside panel of the Cigar box lid.<BR>It is identical to the cigar label sold in Sotheby's Copeland collection auction, item #413. I beleive I have seen the whole box at auction before, but can't find it anywhere. thanks brian

Archive
09-01-2002, 02:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p>David<BR> You and I must have been typing at the same time. I agree the image and colors aren't as crisp as the label, and the back should look more like the top, but I don't have a picture of the original so I was being cautious. Why do you think it's a fake?<BR> thanks brian

Archive
09-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>The story on this is item is as follows. A few years ago, a man who created reprint signs, created a sign (tin I think) based on the Wagner tobacco label. The sign was not an exact reprint, as he changed some of the text and the font was not an exact duplicate. A couple of years, a person in or near Ohio made laserprint reprints of the reprinted signs, making them appear like some sort of trade card and sold them at flea markets.<BR><BR>Even he man who made the reprint signs even said these cards were fakes, because they duplicated his own unique font and text embeslishments.

Archive
09-01-2002, 03:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p>Thanks David.<BR> So there never was an actual box lid which resembled the label. I've been thumbing through alot of auctions catalogs only to find every other player(Young, Jennings, Brown etc.) on a box lid, but Honus. The seller also has quite a few negatives and neutrals. be well brian

Archive
09-01-2002, 03:18 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>There was no printing directly on the lids, but the labels (on thin paper) were pasted on them and often elsewhere on the box.<BR><BR>The day's funny is that, when asked this 'card', Rob Lifson said something to the effect that if it was real he would eat it.