PDA

View Full Version : T5's

Archive
08-31-2002, 01:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Wade&nbsp; </b><p>Does anyone ever see these come up for auction? I have been looking for the Wolter in this set for 3 years now and I have never even seen it. For that matter, why is it you never see the common players from some of these harder/rarer sets? I only see HOF's up for auction it seems, is this because the commons are in everybody's type sets? Wade

Archive
08-31-2002, 01:14 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Just like with the T3's, you chose your favorite player from a list. I would guess that far fewer commons were distributed, but, on the other hand, kids tended to handle their favorites more, so they are probably more difficult to find in good condition.<BR><BR>I have a T5 Bris Lord that is one of my favorite cards. If you ever see Ed Reulbach, let me know.<BR><BR>When I went through my '71 Topps collection (bought as a kid) a few years ago, I found a near-perfect Nolan Ryan, simply because in '71 I didn't know who he was and he was never "chosen" on any of our teams. We used to play a game where we swatted a paper-wad ball with baseball cards. Needless to say, my Mantle and Mays cards didn't survive with much gloss.

Archive
08-31-2002, 01:19 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Just because a player was on the checklist, doesn't mean his card exists. I don't know what the tobacco compnay did with the ones that they printed and didn't sell, but perhaps they trashed them. <BR><BR>Since Pinkertons are just glossy photos that were attached at the top only to the mount, it would have been no great financial loss to throw away any pre-printed photos, saving the mats.

Archive
08-31-2002, 01:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p>Hi Wade<BR> Because the T5's were premiums, fans chose the most popular players of the day, who we now know as hofers. Finding certain commons of this issue can be next to impossible, because so few were probably ever ordered only a handful still survive today. It's too bad they are one of the few "true" cabinet cards. I have only seen a few show up in auctions over the last 3-4 years and only one was a real common.<BR><BR>PS I'm sure Leon has one. later brian

Archive
08-31-2002, 01:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Wade</b><p>I appreciate the responses to my questions. I originally thought that because I only collect Harry Wolter memoribilia that I would have no trouble getting all, or most of his stuff. I was wrong. It is very interesting that because his stuff is scarce, I have started to try and piece a type collection together, when funds allow. I had absolutely no itention of ever doing this, but the enthusiasm of this boards members has drawn me into this era of cards. I appreciate all of the information that the members of this board share, and if anyone ever happens across any Wolter memoribilia, please let me know. Wade

Archive
08-31-2002, 02:49 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>As always I am eager to help in any way I can. With that being said I have tried to stay focused on exactly what I am going for. I have not delved into cabinets or foreign issues yet....probably my next endeavor...best regards

Archive
08-31-2002, 03:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>13 of them with about half being hall of famers and half commons. I bought a lot of 7 in a recent Mastronet auction and they were Toledo players........the mounted ones are very tough to pick up anymore. Anyone with any for sale, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!

Archive
08-31-2002, 04:32 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Do you mean as opposed to the "Pinkerton postcards"?<BR>

Archive
08-31-2002, 05:19 PM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>the postcards are vintage but approx. 10 years later and probably not produced by pinkerton. they are frequently sold on ebay as t-5's but are not the real thing and are worth about 10-20% of catalogue value of the real pinkerton "cabinets"<BR><BR>

Archive
08-31-2002, 05:46 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Pinkerton.

Archive
08-31-2002, 07:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>How can you tell if a card is a Pinkerton postcard, or a genuine Pinkerton removed from its mount?

Archive
08-31-2002, 08:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p>Paul,<BR> A T5 is an actual photo attatched to a mount. The Pinkerton vintage reprints are actual postcards.<BR> be well brian