PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dan~The result of obsession with certed cards!

Archive
08-21-2002, 11:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian C Daniels&nbsp; </b><p><BR><BR> <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1852720511&ssPageName=ADME:B:RECO:US:2" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1852720511&ssPageName=ADME:B:RECO:US:2</a><BR><BR><BR>suggested retail value= $1.00 cost of cert= $12.55

Archive
08-22-2002, 10:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>Without a better scan of the card (it is quite fuzzy in the picture), it sure looks 100x better than any PSA 2 I've seen from the pre-1941 era. A bit of a tilt, but the corners look sharp, and the centering is not all that bad.<BR><BR>Maybe there are some creases/wrinkles that are not visible -- maybe someone barfed on the back of the card. But from the scan provided, that card has the eye appeal of something a lot more than a PSA 2. I don't think there are that many fools out there who send in a 1975 card expecting to get a PSA 2 back.<BR><BR>For what it's worth.

Archive
08-22-2002, 10:55 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian C Daniels</b><p>I think it has a complete horiuzontal crease across it and the guy probably had it graded because he is in love with Tom Seaver! Ever gone to a show and met Tom Seaver??? What a bitch he is!

Archive
08-22-2002, 11:45 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>...but, I am the sme with some of my lower-valued Christy cards. I have them placed in holders for display purposes and preservation purposes only. And, in my case, if they are more recent cards with lower values, I try to find ones that are of an 8 or 9 or 10 grade, not a 2.<BR><BR>Of course, I have a few Grade-1 cards, but they are the older ones...like American Caramels with paper missing on the back which still present well up front. And so on... But, I plan on making a large display of Mathewson items for Safeco Filed here in Seattle when they get their HOF Museum and "First Five" areas completed. That's my reason for wanting a nice, presentable, UV-protected holder...and, in some cases the grade is important but not critical.

Archive
08-22-2002, 11:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>....

Archive
08-22-2002, 01:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Bruce Moreland</b><p>I have a '74 Topps Seaver card, in PSA-3, sent in by me. It has a crease t/b through the center of the card.<BR><BR>It's possible that the crease didn't exist at the point I sent it in, but I've done dumber things, so maybe I didn't see it.<BR><BR>I sent in 120 1980 Topps commons and I had a very good offer on them before I even got them back. People want the high-grade stuff because they are trying to have the best sets in the PSA set registry.<BR><BR>I know this place is about pre-war, which is fine. I think it's kind of goofy to do PSA-graded large modern sets, but everyone has their thing.<BR><BR>bruce<BR>

Archive
08-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>What war are we typically talking about?<BR><BR>WW One? or WW Two...or the one Bush is fighting now? I honestly never thought about that phrase until now, since I collect Christy spanning all times, but certainly enjoy the older cards a little more...(like the Nadja Caramels Matty that Brian BcD will probably take from me this week. whine.)<BR><BR>I don't have that one yet, Brian. Be nice! &lt;whine again&gt;

Archive
08-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I think most collecting folks think of pre-war as pre '41....since there was the gap between '41 and '48 when very, very few sets were produced...pre WW1 would be a narrow focus but I know folks that do that too....still when I think of pre-war it is pre-'41....bestest ....

Archive
08-22-2002, 03:18 PM
Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>Are Pre-War (Armageddon)<BR><BR>I collect Pre-Vietnam War, myself.

Archive
08-22-2002, 08:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian C Daniels</b><p>could mean before you got married! tee hee hee