PDA

View Full Version : Okay you hairy bozos, let's try this again

Archive
08-19-2002, 01:21 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>For those who now or in the future have a wire photo or newservice photos (for the most part, there were no wire photos before 1935), all the information I need is the year of the photo and the name on the stamp or caption.<BR><BR>For example:<BR>1972 AP Wirephoto<BR>1989 AP Laserphoto<BR>1935 Pacific & Atlantic Photos<BR>1959 ACME<BR><BR>Please be exact in what it says, because, for example, UP and UPI are not the same company.<BR><BR>In an attempt to pique your interest in this 'awesome and groundbreaking' projoect, two of the above examples are not possible, meaning the date and the issuer are not compatable.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>David-- email address linked above<BR><BR>p.s. Don't take offense about the hairy bozo comment, I was talking about the other guy.<BR>

Archive
08-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>So as to not confuse anyone, I AM looking for info on photos made before 1935. While there were newservice photos before 1935, sending them via wire ('wire photo') wasn't widespread before 1935. Instead of sending the image overnight via wire, the real photos were most commonly sent by train to the local newspapers-- which will explain the lack of timely photos in old newspapers.

Archive
08-19-2002, 03:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Patrick McMenemy</b><p>David:<BR><BR>During the past year I have picked up two Ira Thomas photos by Paul Thompson.<BR><BR>The first photo is just a 5" X 7" photo of Ira in a catcher's stance in which he is wearing a white hat with horizonal stripes and white sox with one wide dark horizonal stripe. On the top of the back of the photo in pencil is: "Thomas C. Phila. Amer. In addition, there is a blue ink stamp below the pencil notation, which has the following inside a rectangle:<BR><BR>FOR YOUR USE ONLY<BR>NOT TO BE LOANED, RESOLD<BR>OR SYNDICATED. CREDIT LINE<BR>MUST BE GIVEN AS FOLLOWS<BR>PHOTO BY PAUL THOMPSON<BR><BR>The second photo shows Ira and Connie Mack in the dugout. I saw a very similar photo taken from a slightly different angle, which was attributed to Charles Conlon in a Mastro Catalog, which described the photo as being taken during the 1911 World Series. My photo is autographed by Ira Thomas. In addition to the same stamp mentioned previously this 6 1/2" X 8 1/2" photo has a typed notation on the back this says, " ATHLETIC'S STRATEGY BOARD. MACK AND IRA THOMAS. There is a pencil check mark above MACK and in the top right corner the number 18 has been crossed out and a 14 is written just below the earlier number. In this photo Ira has a dark brim on this cap and two black horizonal stripes on his sox. Hope this helps. Patrick.<BR>

Archive
08-19-2002, 08:11 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Patrick, thanks for the info I've already copied it down into my notebook.