PDA

View Full Version : Wire Photos of the World Unite!

Archive
08-17-2002, 11:58 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Hello to all,<BR><BR>I am currently working on a small history/guide to wire photos and newservice photos. At this time I am researching and gathering information. One of the most important parts that I hope to accomplish is an extensive guide to the stamping on the back, both of organizations (ACME, UPI, Detroit Free Press, Hollywood Studios, European Services, etc) and of individual photographers (Conlon, Burke, etc). <BR><BR>To this end, if anyone wishes to participate by provide information on the stamping/other details on their wire photos, it will be both welcome and useful. In general, what I would need is who (UPI), when (1945) and a description or picture of the stamp. So to not confuse things at this point, I am only asking for information on Original wire photos.<BR><BR>Also, if anyone has any insight or experience in this area, I am happy to chat. Joe Phillps, the baseball glove expert, used to work at a Dallas Newspaper (and ProSet of football cards fame)and filled in my head.<BR><BR>Best wishes<BR><BR>

Archive
08-18-2002, 12:26 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>If you can get ahold of Mike Jasperson, he should be very helpful. His father was as sports writter for newspapers in Philly and Minneapolis, among other places. About 90% of the wire photo collection I sued to own came from him and they were all photos from late teens to early 60s<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
08-18-2002, 12:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian H.</b><p>Jay-<BR>"Sued to own" or used to own ?<BR>Too good to pass up.<BR>Best,<BR>Brian

Archive
08-18-2002, 12:32 AM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>That's a novel way to get a collection (If people can tease me about my spelling, I can tease others about theirs). Thanks for the lead, Jay.

Archive
08-18-2002, 12:51 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>better be careful what you say or I might use you. <BR><BR>:-p<BR><BR>Jay