PDA

View Full Version : 1936 Bowman Baseball?

Archive
07-23-2002, 02:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.&nbsp; </b><p>"In 1936, Bowman Gum offered the first bubble gum picture card series to enthusiastic millions of sport fans...."<BR><BR>Anyone know exactly which issue this is referring? My understanding is that Bowman, originally known as Gum, issued cards in 1939 under the Play Ball moniker. <BR><BR>However, I am unsure which issue the 1936 is. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Archive
07-23-2002, 03:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Chris Stufflestreet</b><p>You're right...Gum, Inc. issued its first set in 1939. In '36, the main sets were the 1936 Goudey (which was rather limited in distribution) and the tail end of National Chicle's 1934-36 sets, Diamond Stars and Batter-Up. Also available were larger-sized premium cards, which were available by turning in gum wrappers.<BR><BR>At that time, during the worst part of the Great Depression, there really wasn't a need for another card manufacturer. In fact, no baseball card set was issued on a nationwide basis in 1937.<BR><BR>You can see descriptions of many of the sets I mentioned through my Vintage Cards web site:<BR><BR><a href="http://www.geocities.com/chrisstufflestreet" target=_new>http://www.geocities.com/chrisstufflestreet</a>/<BR><BR>

Archive
07-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Obermeyer</b><p>Marc,<BR><BR>Where did that quote come from?<BR><BR>Jeff

Archive
07-23-2002, 04:23 PM
Posted By: <b>jay berhens</b><p>I'm not positive, but I think the Gum Inc Wild West Gum cards were made before 1939. There may beother non-sport issues that pre-date their baseball issues.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-23-2002, 09:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>From the reverse of their 1955 Bowman advertising sample cards -- so that is straight from the company, seemingly indicating that they issued baseball related cards in 1936. In fact, they were proclaiming the 1955 Bowman set as their 20th anniversary baseball set. <BR><BR>I probably have the most complete (and frankly, useless) collection of 1955 Bowman advertising back cards/sheets out there, and I don't think I've really explored the origins of this detail before. Tomorrow I will post the entire quote from the reverse of these cards.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Marc S.