PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Coach's Corner

Archive
07-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>It seems like every week Coach's Corner comes out with a new multi-page auction in SCD listing a single signed ball of Oscar Charleston or Josh Gibson. This week is the exception. No Charleston or Gibson, but a very nice single signed Eddie Gaedel, and, as if that wasn't enough, a single signed Jesse Burkett.<BR><BR>And every week people are paying good money for this stuff. Not the $10,000 you might expect for one of these gems, but still several hundred dollars each. And every week, SCD dutifully reports the results of these auctions without any comment on the remarkable bargains.<BR><BR>Have any of you purchased anything from Coach's Corner? Is this stuff legit? Have I missed a bunch of great opportunities?? Thanks.<BR><BR>Paul

Archive
07-18-2002, 07:43 AM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>No, SCD only uses their editorials to criticize other sources, like ebay, for selling what should be high priced autographs for what they think are "too cheap" of a price for them to be authentic. When others do it, it's because the auographs are unreliable. When an SCD multi-page advertiser does it - it seems to be OK with them. Hmmmmmmm.<BR><BR>BTW - They also have a multi-page advertiser running an auction right now that is offering some high $$$ vintage cards that, judging by the scans posted on the auction house's web site, are definitely reprints. My opinion folks.

Archive
07-19-2002, 08:44 AM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>it is probably fake.<BR><BR>Eddie Gaedel signatures sell for thousands -- if and when they are available, and those are for simple flat signatures. I believe two (legitimate copies) have been sold in the last five years.<BR><BR>The people that purchase autographs like those are either a) very clueless or b) very similar to the people on Ebay/Yahoo who purchase PRO or other third-teir company graded cards in the hopes of making a windfall in a crossover to PSA/SGC.