PDA

View Full Version : opinions on this Matty autographed ball, please?

Archive
07-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1842679339" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1842679339</a>

Archive
07-10-2002, 10:27 AM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>A light signature and a bad digital photo make it very difficult to render any meaningful assessment.<BR><BR>If you are interested -- ask the seller if he would sell the ball to you with a 100% complete money-back guarantee if your autograph authenticator of choice would agree it is an authentic signature.<BR><BR>As a general rule -- deceased HOF signatures on Ebay have notoriously bad %'s for forgeries...

Archive
07-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Posted By: <b>scott (runscott)</b><p>If he can operate a digital camera, he can do better than this. Also, the alarms go off when I see a long-winded explanation of the player's feats, prior to a description of the product.<BR><BR>I wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole.<br><br>--------------------------------------------<BR> Disclaimer<BR>Slab your own disclaimer - please cut from any legal document and place in screw-down. Refer to whenever you have issues with my posts.

Archive
07-10-2002, 11:34 AM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I never understand (rather, I do understand) why people selling a Ruth, Matty, Cobb or similar autograph on eBay say "LOA from forensics expert included, with matching holograpms" and never mention who is the expert.

Archive
07-10-2002, 11:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>Don Frangipani (sp?) FORGET it......he's a central character in the Operation Bullpen thing. He was issuing all those FORENSIC examination certificates on balls. I'd agree with earlier poster on getting escrow or something confirmed prior to completing the deal and getting some 3rd party authentication on the ball--either PSA/DNA or Mastronet or someone. NONE of those are ENTIRELY failsafe, however, just what you feel 'comfortable' with. A REAL Mathewson ball should be into the tens of thousands if it was clean, so that's a big chunk of change to plunk down on something you're just not sure of or that the seller won't authenticate.

Archive
07-10-2002, 12:16 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>If I were to buy a Mathewson autograph (which I won't unless I find a richer wife or Henry takes a second job before the next Mastro auction), I would feel safest and most confident if it was a check, contract or similar official, preferably holographic document.

Archive
07-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>Call up Jim Stinson at (941) 697-4829. He is a noted collector/dealer that could probably help you out.<BR><BR>Even Jimmy Spence might have a lead -- though he doesn't usually deal such high $$$$, he might have access to a check: (570) 943-7788 <BR><BR>Yes, actually it looks like Jimmy has a Mathewson check available, but he has it priced at $13,000:<BR><BR><a href="http://jspence.com/eshop/item_detail.chtml?itemid=1013212&catid=496&cats=3&showdesc=no&showdealers=no&startrow=51&cf_id=155516297936689" target=_new>http://jspence.com/eshop/item_detail.chtml?itemid=1013212&catid=496&cats=3&showdesc=no&showdealers=no&startrow=51&cf_id=155516297936689</a><BR><BR>Most checks I have seen have been closer to the $8,000 range.

Archive
07-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>If he'll take a Dan Mathewson check for a Christy Mathewson check, I'll do it...as long as he frames the Dan Mathewson check and puts it up on the wall, too, in a frame, and doesn't cash it...

Archive
07-10-2002, 08:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Ben Dover &amp; Wile E. Coyote</b><p>...NG! The signature copied onto the ball in slow motion, from an incorrect example (a forgery copied from a forgery unless the forger's eye/hand coordination is ZERO). Anyway, before even going into the multitude of problems with character formation of the signature itself, the look, vibes of the ball and ink is SO bad to begin with, it's not even worth going into. Maybe it's the Mathewson of Earth 3. He's the only Matty that spells his first name "Christe"!

Archive
07-10-2002, 09:37 PM
Posted By: <b>W.M.</b><p>A good rule of thumb is if you did not see the person autograph the object it is probably fake.

Archive
07-11-2002, 12:14 AM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p><BR>&lt;&lt; The ball comes with the postmarked authenitcation letter which matches the ball and letterhead. &gt;&gt;<BR><BR>&lt;&lt; Your are bidding on a very rare autographed baseball by the great Christy Matthewson &gt;&gt;<BR><BR><BR><BR><b>Comments:</b><BR><BR>Two "t's" in Mathewson and an alternate spelling of "authentication." Perhaps the seller really DID mean to write both words incorrectly. After all, there has to be SOME value to a "Christe Matthewson" autographed 1960s-80s era baseball, doesn't there?