PDA

View Full Version : T207 Buck Weaver

Archive
07-04-2002, 05:08 PM
Posted By: <b>jeff</b><p>I'm not very knowledgeable about T207 printing locations & backs, but this claim that "no advertisement = red cross advertising" seems fishy to me:<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1841250073" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1841250073</a><BR><BR>I may be displaying my ignorance here, but isn't this just an Anonymous back, plain and simple?<BR><BR>And regardless of whether it "ought" to be a Red Cross back or not, it seems like a Magie error with the "i" completely erased -- worth a little extra if you buy the story, and nothing more.

Archive
07-04-2002, 05:46 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>looks like another dealer making a wishful claim and then saying 'no gaurentees' just to try and drive the price up on an already exprensive card even without the claim.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>first of all let me state that ed is a very respectable dealer, albeit a little dreamy about this item. it is in fact an anonymous back weaver and not a red cross back, but i betcha it'll bring $1000+. any weaver t207 is tough. if you don't buy it. come to chicago and i'll have a nicer one for 2K.<BR><BR>scott

Archive
07-04-2002, 09:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Hodes</b><p>I'm with Scott, the T207 Weaver is on most want lists and whatever the books price it at is probably way low.<BR>The seller probabaly should have noted that George Weaver is "Buck' Weaver, the most sympathetic of the Black Sox.

Archive
07-05-2002, 11:05 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>Not even close. Anonymous back.<BR>If you want the Weaver Red Cross back it will cost a mortgage on your home. Wish I had it...

Archive
07-07-2002, 07:39 AM
Posted By: <b>scott (runscott)</b><p>thanks for disseminating your knowledge.<br><br>--------------------------------------------<BR> Disclaimer<BR>I apologize in advance if the above post has in any way offended anyone other than a specifically identified target. I also apologize in advance if reading the above post has been a waste of time for someone whose time is worth more than mine.

Archive
07-07-2002, 12:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p>I emailed the seller, Big Ed, who seems to be a real nice guy. He thanked me for the info & explained that he had received several emails on the subject, probably from other board members. <BR><BR>Scott, I know quite a bit about T205& 07's but the tough cards had already been listed, so I didn't want to duplicate others post. I appreciate your constant postings as they keep the board from being stale or boring. Finally played Golf today for the first time in 3 weeks thank God, hope you will be back soon. <BR>be well brian

Archive
07-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p> I always thought the blank Anonymous back T207 (Louisiana Factory Number) was thought to have come in packages of "Coupon Cigarettes".<BR> Seller just made a mistake thinking that Red Cross was the only Louisiana brand. Im not sure he knew it was Buck either, as He never mentioned "Buck", and I cant see selling it not useing the name "Buck Weaver" somewhere. Oh well. Nice card Frank

Archive
07-07-2002, 09:55 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>There are actually two different Anonymous backs on the T207s and each is printed in black ink. The Lousiana back is Factory 3, the Virginia back is Factory 25. Factory 25 backs are ONLY on the flip side of the scarce T207 cards. Factory 3 backs supposedly are on not only the scarce cards but all the commons, in fact every card in the set is possible. At least that is the general belief that has been given credence over the years but I don't buy it. There are certain cards which have never been found (or at least never been reported to be found which isn't the same thing, I know) with a Factory 3 back. <BR>10-15 years ago it was believed that the Anonymous 25s were the rarest of all the backs (not counting the Red Crosses) but now most collectors I have talked to believe the Red Cycles are tougher than Broadleafs or F25s, but I think their desirability and eye appeal probably makes them more sought by collectors, who knows?