PDA

View Full Version : vintage photo question

Archive
07-01-2002, 12:01 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>What's the difference between a photogravure, CdV, Cabinet and other early photos?<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-01-2002, 12:43 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>A cdv is a miniature cabinet card, about the size of a Topps baseball card. Both the cdv and cabinet have a paper photographic print pasted to a sheet of cardboard. A photogravure (aka rotogravure, aka gravure) is a print on paper(not a photograph)that was often used to make high quality reproductions of photographs. Photogravures used to make the images images in some magazines and papers, but were also for higher quality prints. For example, there are photogravure cabinet cards, with a photogravure print pasted to the cardboard sheet instead of a photographic print.

Archive
07-01-2002, 02:06 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Jay, I mean this less as cheesy self-promotion than as a potential source of information to meet your needs-- but you migh consider buying the small guide: 'Early Baseball Photographs: a collector's guide.' It covers all the different early photographs and related (i.e. photogravure), incuding how to identify and date them (pick-up lines, romantic restauraunts, etc). I know that you are into Indian memorabilia, and the book applies just as well to that area. The same types and variety of photographs were used, whether it was baseball, Indians, football or politics.

Archive
07-01-2002, 04:01 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>any tips or hints on general price ranges for gravures?<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-01-2002, 05:46 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>All other qualities the same, a gravure will usually be less expensive than a real photo, and intended for commercial production. It is, however, a high quality printing process that can produce great images, and can be valuable. It is an old fashioned process, not used anymore expect in the fine arts.