PDA

View Full Version : oldest former major leaguer turns 100 today

Archive
06-26-2002, 02:53 PM
Posted By: <b>John(z28jd)</b><p>Happy 100th birthday to Ralph Erickson who pitched for the best team ever,the Pittsburgh Pirates, way back in 1929-30. He's the most vintage baseball player there is.Would be nice if the Bucs won the 9,000th game tonight in their major league history....anyone know of any ralph erickson cards?

Archive
06-26-2002, 03:11 PM
Posted By: <b>John Wojak</b><p>There was a big article in the Sunday New York Daily News about Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe (he caught and pitched), a former star in the negro leagues and boyhood friend of Satchel Paige, who will turn 100 some time very soon. I believe the article said his birthday is July 7. He is the oldest known negro leaguer, and is apparently a fixture around Comisky Park, where he has a standing open invitation to attend games on the house.

Archive
06-26-2002, 04:26 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>Radcliffe goes to a lot of White Sox games and has a seat in the section behind home plate. I was thrilled to meet him and his is one of the few autographs I own.<BR><BR>Sadly though he is in a wheel chair now. I think he is pretty darn alert for a man his age. I don't think he is signing autographs anymore but I could be wrong.