PDA

View Full Version : MAGIE "error" card - is it real?

Archive
06-03-2002, 06:06 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>The ones I've seen (via scans) so far have all had the "I" to the left and raised above the other letters. With such a rare variation, it's hard to believe there was another printing with the "I" lower and all the letters left the same: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1832100250" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1832100250</a><BR>

Archive
06-03-2002, 10:23 AM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>I compared it to scans I have and the lettering alignment is the same.<BR><BR>The "I" may seemed raised because when setting type the letters with curved bottoms like "O", "G", "U", "S" actually go below the base line the type is set on and sometimes "visually" the letter to the left appears to be raisd but actually isn't. Notice the "I" and the "E" are along the same baseline. <BR><BR>I would vote "real" on this card.

Archive
06-03-2002, 01:21 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>The only way to prove it authentic is by examining it in person. Otherwise, it's speculation.

Archive
06-03-2002, 02:26 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>I thought the nature of Scott's post was to encourage other's opinions, that is why I responded. I think we all realize what is said here is just going to be just that, one person's opinion.<BR><BR>I would hope no one goes out and bids on something solely based my opinion alone. Based on my 2 decades of vintage collecting and the posted image in question I will stand behind what I said. <BR><BR>I welcome the input if someone else can prove my opinion wrong or make counter points in regards to what i said.<BR><BR>Care to speculate on why it may NOT be real?

Archive
06-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>i took a look and it certainly looks legit, the seller and his father are long,long time collectors and very knowledgable, having bought and sold and amassed a large coolection. i would attest that they would stand behind anything they sell and are quite reputable.<BR><BR>scott

Archive
06-03-2002, 03:40 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Thanks for the responses - it didn't hit reserve though. I'm surprised the seller didn't have it plasticized (new term I'm coining) by PSA or SGC...or SCD. It certainly would have gotten a bid from me.

Archive
06-03-2002, 04:03 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Peter, my post was my (correct) opinion to Scott's initial, titled question, and was not a response to your answer. I think you're a smart guy who and have always admired you knowedge and insight about printing topics.