PDA

View Full Version : A Striking Question

Archive
05-17-2002, 12:05 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian H&nbsp; </b><p>Without getting into the politics or spin of it (whose fault it is etc)-- what (if any) effect would a baseball strike have on vintage card's value/prices etc.<BR>I know that cards of Ichiro and Sammy would be hit hard but what about the stuff we like?<BR>Any ideas?<BR>

Archive
05-17-2002, 08:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>Brian H-<BR><BR>I think that when there are strikes in present day baseball, that many people turn toward the history of baseball and conjure up false memories about the purity of the game and lack of greed. Ultimately, a strike would benefit the vintage card hobby, in my humble opinion -- if for only bringing some of the modern collectors back into the hobby's history.<BR><BR>Of course, believing that the players of the 1900s, 1910s and 1920s were not money-hungry and greedy is a pipe dream. Though the salaries have increased exponentially over the last 85 years -- the constant war between players and owners over money has been omnipresent since professional baseball's inception.

Archive
05-17-2002, 12:09 PM
Posted By: <b>jeff</b><p>but they never went on strike!<BR><BR>gotta love 'em, those cuddly pre-war stars.

Archive
05-17-2002, 02:35 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>The last strike hit the modern card market pretty hard. The vintage card market slowed down some as Baseball in general was looked down on for a bit but not as much as the recent cards.

Archive
05-17-2002, 05:45 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>If the players association was smart, they would strike in June, not August.<BR><BR>I believe the July All-Star game is in Milwaukee this year. If so, there is NO WAY "Big Daddy" Bud is going to risk seeing a wittle frown on his wittle girl's, wittle face because she couldn't host the AS game in HER brand new park just like Daddy promised.

Archive
05-17-2002, 05:49 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>But the players don't have the cahones to do it.

Archive
05-17-2002, 07:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>and i was up in the berkeley Hills(snazzy neighborhood), looking at yard sales. At one house, i was told the young man of the house had just sold all his baseball cards for $1, and all his football cards for $1. Also, that the cards were representative of all decades of baseball and football history, and in the finest condition he could purchase. <BR><BR>I remember thinking first that he was carzy, and second, should I kill myself now, or wait till i got home?<BR><BR>It may affect some people's collecting, but it doesn't affect MINE.

Archive
05-18-2002, 12:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Hodes</b><p>The reason that the strike is being discussed for October (not during Bud's little lovefest in Milwaukee) is that that is when the players stop getting paid (except for the post-season players -- but we don't think about that much here in Chicago).<BR><BR>I did read rumors about the players blowing off the AS game because of the man who allegedly acts "in the best interest of baseball" -- but the thinking was that this game is for the fans even if it is being played in Bud's park.<BR><BR>If you could short the Pit you could make a killing on the strike.

Archive
05-18-2002, 12:58 AM
Posted By: <b>ty_cobb</b><p>I don't believe there is any real connection between<BR>card value and the impending strike that wouldn't<BR>correct itself over time. There's going to be some<BR>short term pain for those who have overextended their<BR>budget though! I would expect prices to drop in the<BR>fall.<BR><BR>It's a myth to think these things never happened<BR>before though. In 1909 Elmer Flick was holding out<BR>with Cleveland, and Hal Chase's contract negotiations <BR>with the Highlanders were going badly. Cubs management<BR>sent a series of acrimonious letters to Johnny Kling<BR>regarding his holdout, insinuating that his behavior<BR>was influencing the rookies to ask for too much as well. <BR><BR>They always trot out the sob story about the overpaid athletes. The media scabs like Rome lap it up, the owners love it. <BR>Selig , as dictator, does what he does to please family and his business cronies. Its all about money and <BR>influence. That athletes are involved is secondary<BR>to him, might as well be hogs or cattle.

Archive
05-18-2002, 01:25 AM
Posted By: <b>vorthian</b><p>&lt;&lt; (except for the post-season players -- but we don't think about that much here in Chicago). &gt;&gt;<BR><BR>I've been a die-hard Cubs fan since 1982 and this year is not looking good. We were spoiled with MJ and the Bulls, so I guess it evens out. <BR><BR>As for the pit, I wish I could place "put contracts".