PDA

View Full Version : looking for "catcher gear" OBAKs

Archive
03-18-2002, 07:15 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Are there any other than Fournier?<BR><BR>Also, here's a "Charles Nelson Riley" OBAK (just add plastic-rimmed glasses)<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1811904370" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1811904370</a>

Archive
03-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>he needs some curly hair and and nifty scarf he used to wear all the time on Match Game.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
03-18-2002, 11:52 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Obermeyer</b><p>Scott - I assume that you're looking for players (like Fournier) who are wearing chest protectors, masks, shin guards, etc. I can tell you that in the 1910 set there are no other players with this type of gear... but there are a number of players wearing what appear to be catchers mitts:<BR><BR>Berry (SF)<BR>Brooks (Spokane)<BR>Brown (Vernon)<BR>Custer (Seattle)<BR>Fisher (Portland PCL)<BR>Fournier (Sac)<BR>La Longe (Sac)<BR>Lewis (Van)<BR>Mitze (Oak)<BR>Orendorff (LA)<BR>Rapps (Portland PCL)<BR>Shea (Seattle)<BR>H. Smith (LA)<BR>Spiesman (Oak)<BR>Thomas (Oak)<BR><BR>Note that the Spiesman is pretty cool because he is in a catcher's crouch.<BR><BR>I don't have any 1909's, and I've only got 61 of the 1911's, so I can't tell you for sure about those issues.<BR><BR>Hope it helps... <BR><BR>Jeff<BR>

Archive
03-18-2002, 12:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Parker</b><p>Jeff has done a great job with the 1910 set, and I will try to provide the same with the 1909 and 1911 set. The list should be complete in the 1911's--but I am missing a handful in the 1909's so there might be a hole or two in that list. By the way, the cards I am missing to complete the 1909 set are Fisher-Portland, Fitzgerald-Sacramento, Graham-Sacramento, Raymer-Sacramento, Shinn-Sacramento, and Whalen-Sacramento. Just in case someone has one, please respond on the board--I'd love to finish off this set!<BR><BR>1909<BR><BR>Cameron-Oakland<BR>Lalonge-Oakland<BR>C.Lewis-Oakland<BR>Berry-San Francisco<BR>R.Williams-San Francisco<BR>W.Hogan-Vernon (chest protector only)<BR><BR>1911<BR><BR>Abbott-Los Angeles<BR>Grindle-Los Angeles<BR>H.Smith-Los Angeles*<BR>Mitze-Oakland*<BR>Pearce-Oakland<BR>Tiedeman-Oakland (chest protector and glove)<BR>Kuhn-Portland<BR>Murray-Portland<BR>LaLonge-Sacramento*<BR>Thomas-Sacramento<BR>Berry-San Francisco*<BR>Ryan-San Francisco<BR>Schmidt-San Francisco<BR>Brown-Vernon*<BR>Sheehan-Vernon<BR>Shea-Seattle*<BR>Spencer-Seattle<BR>Hasty-Spokane<BR>Lewis-Vancouver*<BR>Spiesman-Vancouver<BR>Dashwood-Victoria<BR><BR><BR> All of the above only have glove pictured unless otherwise designated. The astericks indicate same card front design as those listed on Jeff's 1910 list. The nice thing about the 1911 set is that there is biographical write-up on the reverse so that you can confirm whether the player is a catcher.<BR><BR>Brian Parker<BR>

Archive
04-23-2002, 04:24 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Thanks for the great list! I've started an SGC-graded "catcher gear" type set (5 so far). My favorite catcher gear card isn't vintage: 1973 Munson - fortunately one I pulled from a pack as a kid still graded at SGC84! Players I didn't like (Pete Rose) ended up on the dart board. I still have my '71 Rose, filled with dart holes.<BR><BR>I just got the Tiedeman and a Fournier upgrade (thanks Bill), so in the OBAKS I just need that Fisher!<BR><BR>Please check out the "catcher gear" page on my web-site and let me know if you can supply scans of cards.