PDA

View Full Version : A little help

Archive
03-28-2002, 02:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Doug Allen</b><p>I am attempting to identify players appearing on what appears to be an early world tour team. The obvious players are Evers, Carey, Vaughn and Daubert. I am guessing the year at about 1914/15. Does anyone have rosters from these early world tour teams?

Archive
03-28-2002, 08:40 PM
Posted By: <b>benge610</b><p>Doug, sorry I can't provide factual rosters but I am aware of a tour consisting of White Sox and Giants players; December of '13 in Japan; February of '14 in Cairo, Rome and Paris; ending on Feb 26, '14 in England. Of course, in January of 1914 ML players w/10 years experience could become free agents; so it wouldn't be surprising to see some Feds on either of the Giants/Sox rosters for the tour.<BR><BR>This was the last world tour that I am aware of until well after the war (possibly '21 or '22 or so earliest).<BR><BR>I know it's not much, but a start. I'd be looking for obviously familiar faces (Chief Meyers, Ed Walsh, etc.) to see if my theory holds water.<BR><BR>Good luck and I would be interested in your findings.<BR><BR>Ben.<BR><BR>bengehler@avenew.com<BR>

Archive
03-28-2002, 10:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Doug Allen</b><p>They are not barnstormers since they are wearing "National" and "American" league shirts.

Archive
03-29-2002, 09:48 AM
Posted By: <b>benge610</b><p>maybe you've got a group of barnstormers.<BR><BR>Ben.<BR>

Archive
03-29-2002, 06:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Brett Domue</b><p>This information is from a copy of the program for the World Tour: National and American League Teams from October 1913 -&gt; March 1914 US, Japan, China, Philippines, Australia, Ceylon, Egypt, Italy, France,England.<BR><BR>"White Sox" World Tour Team<BR>Manager Jim Callahan<BR>P Jim Scott<BR>CF Tris Speaker<BR>C Jack Bliss<BR>P Joe Benz<BR>CF Germany Schaeffer<BR>SS Buck Weaver<BR>3B Dick Egan<BR>RF Sam Crawford<BR>P Walter Leverenz<BR>1B Tommy Daley<BR>C Andy Slight<BR>LF Steve Evans<BR><BR>"Giants" World Tour Team<BR>Manager John McGraw<BR>2B Larry Doyle<BR>P George Wiltse<BR>1B Fred Merkle<BR>CF Mike Donlan<BR>SS Mike Doolan<BR>LF Lee Magee<BR>RF Jim Thorpe<BR>3B Hans Lobert<BR>C Ivy Wingo<BR>P Bunny Hearne<BR>P Red Faber<BR><BR>Umpires<BR>Bill Klem<BR>Jack Sheridan<BR><BR>Others of note<BR>Charles Comiskey<BR><br><br>Brett Domue<BR>okeedokee@pipeline.com<BR><a href="http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/wantlist.htm" target=_new>http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/wantlist.htm</a>

Archive
03-29-2002, 07:43 PM
Posted By: <b>benge610</b><p>Ben.

Archive
03-29-2002, 08:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Doug Allen</b><p>Thanks for the attempts....I am familiar with tha World tour team...this one has be going because four definites are Evers, Carey, Vaughn and Daubert and these just don't match up.

Archive
04-14-2002, 11:12 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>The t206museum said on a previous post that they have access to it - maybe they would check for you. In going through my old issues, I found loads of detailed info about various ML player teams travelling the world. This was a big deal apparently.