PDA

View Full Version : Someone once said... (request for help)

Archive
04-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Tbob</b><p>...that if something looks too good, it probably has some problems with it, or something like that. I recently bought some M116s in EXMT and NRMT from a noted Florida dealer on ebay and I was amazed at the variance in length sizes. I saw on the board a while back that Scott B. and Frank (I think) had mentioned that the Sporting Lifes are all over the board when it comes to lengths, I hope this is so as half measured the standard 2 3/4" but about 35% were 2 11/16 and the rest were around 2 5/8. Any comments here? I have a bad feeling that someone may have used an exacto on them, hope I am wrong.

Archive
04-02-2002, 08:16 PM
Posted By: <b>vorthian</b><p>&lt;&lt; I recently bought some M116s in EXMT and NRMT from a noted Florida dealer on ebay and I was amazed at the variance in length sizes. &gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Broadway Rick's reputation isn't that stellar - be careful.

Archive
04-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I won several of those cards myself. I got a refund on the short card when I confronted him about it being trimmed. He tried to give me a song and dance about it was from Lipset's personal collection and questioned my knowledge about vintage cards (little did he know I used to ride his arse all the time at shows in the 80s, lol). It's amazing how many dealers with bad reps 15 years ago are still in business.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
04-02-2002, 08:54 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Have a great story about BRSZ-1, BRSZ-2, etc.....but will save it for the club back at the hotel at the Nationals.....these stories are soooo much better over a frosty mug.....regards all..

Archive
04-03-2002, 09:01 AM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>I could swear that some months ago Broadway Rick posted these cards saying he won't grade them because he doesn't trust their opinion. Talk about the pot, calling the kettle black - just my opinion. I had a couple of people ask me about these cards and I couldn't recommend them to anyone. <BR><BR>Say all you want about variation in size and some is legitimate but 1/8th of an inch? VERY RARELY and never describing a group of cards, all in high grade.<BR><BR>Loen - Coming to the National? The first frosty mug is on me.

Archive
04-03-2002, 09:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Tim</b><p>Yet, I too have a BRSZ-2 story on a trimmed M116. And the list goes on...

Archive
04-03-2002, 09:08 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p> I too have a story with ole BRSZ-xx on a '32 US Caramel Lazerri.....but will save it for a cold mug back at the hotel at the Nationals....regards all

Archive
04-03-2002, 09:22 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I f'd that up....nothing like a double post....sorry folks.......

Archive
04-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>and sent mine and one of Jay's to SGC - we'll see what they say.

Archive
04-09-2002, 11:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian C Daniels</b><p>He plays the numbers game just as Uncle festberg does. Just sell everything and anything at deal with the % of stuff that comes back later. He has lots of coin so the returns are no big deal and he can financially afford the bad press as well becuse he does enough right deals to make it worth his involvement in the business for the past 20 years.........heck,he bought Pete Roses Rolls Royce 10 years ago.......I have bought 200 tango egg cards and many many high grade,( got them graded years later)"E" cards from him.....he will take advantage of the ignorant collector. frankly ,he is a nice guy!

Archive
04-10-2002, 09:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>with Brian. He is an engaging person when you see him in person. I've bought a few high dollar items from him and made some money on them but I would be concerned with anything I buy as to authenticity and measurments. All the NM/MT M116's (as friggin Tbob) will tell you seem to be a little short. They are/were just too good to be true. I would still buy from him though given the right circumstances. He is not an overt crook or anything. Like many dealers, he takes artistic license with descriptions from time to time.........and some omissions of pertinent information (like measurements or notifications that a card may be short). Caveat Emptor--the motto of ebay!

Archive
04-10-2002, 05:21 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>The one I sent to scott is the only one of the m116s that I bought that was not short. Fortunately, it was also the best condition card of the group, which was nice considering Abbiticchio is usually hard to find in high grades<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
04-10-2002, 06:27 PM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>i also bought a few, 2 were way oversized!, 1 was small, but exactly the same size as my g/vg card i was upgrading. my experience with m116's is that certain cards come predictably certain sized, chief bender(not cheif as every psa slab says :)) is always short, i have had 4 or 5 from different sources and in different grades and have seen others on ebay, and they are all quite short, i believe it had to do with the positioning on the small sheets. i have most of the m116 set (HEY I NEED 9 MORE HELP!!!) and the sizes are all over the board, are some trimmed? maybe i dunno, i examine them all and size them and such, but i feel there is a larger variation here, than any other set.<BR><BR>keep slamming rick, maybe all of his stuff will go dirt cheap. it can't all be bad. just a numbers game. i remember when hagers reputation got so bad, no one would bid on anything, the vg/ex lots were dirt cheap and its hard to screw with them without notice, i bought lots of those group lots in the mid 90's for a song! and they were fine.<BR><BR>scott

Archive
04-11-2002, 07:30 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>now that made me laugh...I'll have to meet the guy this year at the Nationals......I purposely did NOT meet a few people at the Nationals last year because of my dealings with them.....he was one of them....regards all

Archive
04-11-2002, 10:22 AM
Posted By: <b>BcD</b><p>is still around and selling other stuff on e-bay Scott!<BR>Like most demons....he will out live us all!