PDA

View Full Version : Ebay lot #1816412402

Archive
04-02-2002, 11:44 PM
Posted By: <b>brian parker</b><p>Does anyone else think this card is a reprint? The front looks didn't make me do a double take, but the printing on the back looks too fuzzy, it seems too white (and artificially stained to tone it down some), and there is a scuff above the 'Mecca Cigarettes' in a place where perhaps it said 'reprint. I had an original one up for auction recently, and just happened across this, and am kind of upset that it is almost as high as what mine went for ($200). And mine didn't have any tea stains. Any thoughts?<BR><BR> By the way, I suggest never drinking tea over a vintage card--you might spill some and your card will end up becoming a reprint.<BR><BR>Brian

Archive
04-02-2002, 11:47 PM
Posted By: <b>brian parker</b><p>Here is a link to the card:<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1816412402" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1816412402</a>

Archive
04-03-2002, 12:23 AM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>...that "light rub" should be amended to "obvious alteration."

Archive
04-03-2002, 12:30 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I've owned tons of 201s and that back looks comepletely wrong. Color and ink don't look right at all on the back, paper too white and ink too dark.

Archive
04-03-2002, 07:19 AM
Posted By: <b>BRIAN</b><p>I agree with Jay. I have a complete set including several dupes, and none of them have the same dark bold heavy print on the back.The factory designation looks especially blurry, which I have never seen before. be well brian

Archive
04-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Eric</b><p>I have a near complete set of original T201 cards plus a reprint set and the card in this auction is a reprint. In the scan of the reverse side of the card (towards the lower right corner) is an obliterated or "rubbed" mark. This is where the reprint information was written and has been erased by someone.<BR><BR>I'd steer clear of that card!

Archive
04-03-2002, 08:15 PM
Posted By: <b>brian parker</b><p>Thanks for all your input. I was 99.9% sure that this card was a reprint. I own (and am in the process of selling) the complete set and the back of this card was obviously all wrong. I was hoping some other knowledeable folk like yourselves would respond so that when I sent the link to this board to one of the bidder's (the one who had bid in my T201 Cobb auction), it would be apparent to him that the general consensus was that it was a doctored reprint. He thanked me for the heads up, and perhaps we have gained another reader/participant for this board. Thanks again,<BR><BR>Brian