PDA

View Full Version : 19th Century Baseball Reference Books

Archive
03-27-2002, 07:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Jaime Leiderman</b><p>Just purchased David Nemec's Great Encyclopedia of 19th Cent. ML Baseball for my newly started collection.<BR>Already have Preston Orem's 1840-1881 Baseball book.<BR><BR>Any others worth purchasing?<BR><BR>Jimmy

Archive
03-27-2002, 10:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards Vol.1 and major auction catalogs such as the Copeland auction, the Halper Auction,etc. I would also save all Mastro, Lipset, Hunt, Smolin and Sloate catalogs. Also, get a copy of the Cartophilic Society Listing for Old Judges.

Archive
03-27-2002, 11:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Jaime Leiderman</b><p>Thanks Jay<BR><BR>From the auctions, I'm only missing 1 or 2 Mastro catalogs and some Lipset inserts.<BR><BR>Someone wants to trade catalogs?<BR>

Archive
03-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Posted By: <b>James</b><p>When was the first Mastro Auction anyways? I believe I have one for November 1997 auction. Is that the "first issue"???

Archive
03-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Hodes</b><p>SABR has two books that profile 19th Century stars (mostly non-HOFers) both are quite interesting. <BR><BR>Also there is a book by Faber that applies statistics to rate the players of the 19th Century and arrives at the conclusion that Bid BcPhee (who was not yet a HOFer when the book came out) was the greatest 19th Century player.<BR>While I certainly didn't agree with this conclusion it was both interesting and edifying to see how Faber got there.<BR><BR>There are also good fairly recent Bios of: John M Ward (2 of them), King Kelly and AG Spaulding..<BR><BR>Nemec, who you mentioned has 2 very good books: his encyclopedia of 19th Century Baseball and a very good book on the old American Association called, I think, "The Beer and Whiskey League."

Archive
04-03-2002, 07:07 AM
Posted By: <b>Jaime Leiderman</b><p>Does any of the SABR books have a Ross Barnes bio?<BR>Trying to find more info. on him, but little so far.

Archive
04-03-2002, 09:51 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>There is a brief bio in the book Nineteenth Century Stars put out by SABR in 1989. The website doesn't list all the books that are available for sale, so not sure if they still have any left. This is a great book and bios on all HOFers along with all the major players of the day.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
04-03-2002, 10:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Jaime Leiderman</b><p>Thanks Jay!<BR><BR>I've seen both SABR 19th Century books on eBay many times, but none this week.<BR><BR>Jimmy