PDA

View Full Version : old judge question

Archive
03-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Posted By: <b>john</b><p>can someone tell me how much a light image affects the grade of an old judge.If a card is described as exmt condition but has a light image what grade would it actually be? If anyone has any scans of ones actually graded that would apply to this please send them along.Thanks<BR>John

Archive
03-24-2002, 04:36 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I don't collect Old Judges, but do regularly deal with photographs. I usually give two descriptions: one for the image itself and one for the overall photograph (the physical item). Such as "the photograph grades Very Good due to corner creaes. The image is Mint." Or "The photograph itself grades Near Mint, but the image has some fading." Naturally, providing a good image will help the potential buyer assess the photograph. As someone who regularly buys and sells photographs, it is often not possible to give a single grade that accurately describes the item's state. And what is important will vary from collector to collector. For me, the image quality is foremost and technical grade is less imporant (unless it's a bargain, I avoid high end/expensive photographs if the image is light our out of focus, even if it is in otherwise high condition.)-- while for others how it would be graded by PSA is most important. In other words, it's a personal decision.<BR><BR>I don't have a picture, but there was a profesionally graded Old Judge King Kelly with a rare pink image. It had a high grade (perhaps ExMt), but the image was very light. Despite it's rarity and high grade, it did not sell for much. It's fair to assume this was due to the bad image.

Archive
03-24-2002, 07:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>For almost all Old judge collectors the photo image is the most important factor in deciding on the quality of an Old Judge card. Faded images or misdeveloped pink images are not desireable. Some grading services, SGC comes to mind immediately, don't seem to penalize cards for faded pink images. Personally, I believe this is wrong but it shows that there are a variety of opinions.

Archive
03-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>what could possibly be as important as the photograph?

Archive
03-25-2002, 08:51 PM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>Thanks for the input. The Kelly card sounds familiar to me.If anyone else has any examples that would be great.The main reason i asked is because one was for sale,described as exmt with light image,and i just wanted to know out of curiosity how a card like that would be graded.Seems like it should be no better than good no matter how the rest of the card is,because that seems like a major problem to me.John