PDA

View Full Version : Big Dealers on ebay

Archive
01-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Cy</b><p>Can someone shed some light on this question?<BR><BR>I see some of the big dealers placing hundreds of overpriced cards on ebay(pre-1950 and post-1950). A very minimal amount get bids. And the ones that do get bids cannot even begin to pay for the fees that should be charged to them. <BR><BR>My question is this. Does anyone know if these guys get special treatment on fees? Is it possible that these guys don't have to pay the placement fee?<BR><BR>Someone please enlighten me.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>Cy

Archive
01-14-2002, 06:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>This doesn't address all of the situations, but here are some things I do know.<BR><BR>1) Ebay has a Free Listing Day every few months. The last time Ebay had a Free Listing Day (end of December), Mike Wheat listed nearly 2,000 cards.<BR><BR>2) Ebay typically allows items to be relisted for free (provided that they actually do sell at some point). So, sellers can potentially list things quite a few times before they actually sell. I'm not sure how many free re-listing are allowed. Ebay promotes this, though, because their stock price is a function, to some degree, on the number of items listed on their site in a given time period. Thus, when items get re-listed, it looks better for them.<BR><BR>Marc

Archive
01-14-2002, 11:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>The relisting fee is reimbursed if you sell the item, if not you still pay the posting fee. This is one time only.<BR><BR>I would be surprised if businesses were given any special treatment. Ebay seems to have enough non business sellers that I don't think they need to. If I was in business I certainly would list occasionally on ebay, it is a great resource for people in your market. The listing fees are like an advertising expense expense. If you do sell something than it is working for you if not don't continue.<BR><BR>Just my thought.<BR><BR>Lee

Archive
01-15-2002, 05:40 AM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>Consider the Mike Wheat example I mentioned before.<BR><BR>He listed over 1,900 cards on Free Listing Day. He listed his inventory <i>at the same price he listed items in his online inventory</i>. Thus, the minimum bid was what you could purchase the item for directly from Mike.<BR><BR>I'm not sure how many items he sold, but if he sold 200 - 300 cards, he just moved 15% of his inventory at a price higher than the cards were listed for sale. Makes Ebay a sound investment for him (esp. if you also consider that he may give small discounts on items in his inventory)