PDA

View Full Version : SBC...

Archive
01-04-2002, 12:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Bruce Moreland</b><p>I think it's deceptive to say it's in NM/MT+ condition when, unless SBC is very different from SGC, an 86 is NM+.<BR><BR>bruce<BR>

Archive
01-04-2002, 09:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Elliot&nbsp; </b><p>standards higher???? I think not. I guess that wavy top cut is from the factory. At least the seller is correct...RAZOR sharp corners. I wonder why it's been left in a SBC holder all this time.<BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1058204160" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1058204160</a>

Archive
01-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>Bruce --<BR><BR>I believe the seller described the corners as Near Mint to Mint+, not the overall condition of the card. You are correct, however, that an SBC 86 would be commensurate with a grade of NM+<BR><BR>To the best of my knowledge, SBC is not the same grading company as SGC. Also, based on current grading standards I would not say that all SBC encapsulated cards are graded conservatively. Although I do think that some of the early SBC grades were better than some of the early PSA grades -- particularly on T206s.<BR><BR>Grading standards have changed considerably since the early 1990s. Some SBC cards are graded accurately, some are not. I do not think it is completely fair or accurate to compare SBC graded cards to those cards graded during the past year or two. A better comparison would be to compare SBC grades to early ASA or PSA grades. Using that barometer, SBC standards were pretty strict.

Archive
01-05-2002, 12:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>My point was more the wavy top cut not being factory made, but yet the card was encapsulated.

Archive
01-05-2002, 01:04 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>Elliot --<BR><BR>If you are truly curious why the card is in an SBC holder and was "awarded" an 86, place a call to Krause Publications and ask for Joe Merkle. I believe he is still a consultant for SCD grading.

Archive
01-05-2002, 01:24 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I think we are seeking a slight optical illusion from the shadow of the holder insert on a bowed card.

Archive
01-05-2002, 01:33 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>the reverse side appears to match the front. There does not appear to be an optical illusion like there was on that Ichiro bat.