PDA

View Full Version : Trader0318 auctions are open to public

Archive
01-03-2002, 09:24 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>Elliot know is your chance to get a card from trader0318, his auctions are open to the public, nice low minimums. Scott had a nice run in with him last night.

Archive
01-03-2002, 10:25 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Okay everyone - laugh at me. I was going to use bin on the '33 #144 Ruth and get it graded, but Lee reminded me about the guy. A few minutes later he responded to my request for a clearer scan with: "Hi....thats the best scan we put up on it. It gets a little dicey on the really old cards, handling them over and over, we avoid that if we can. We keep them in secured storage till item ships. Its a very nice Goudey Ruth...."<BR>

Archive
01-03-2002, 12:38 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>...is receiving the "card" once you win it!!??!!

Archive
01-03-2002, 02:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>His auctions are still private---I think it just takes a while before they are listed that way. The guy has been in business for 30 years, but nobody seems to know him. It's tough to tell with the poor scans, but the cards (the two '33 Ruths) seem to be off. On the green Ruth the hat doesn't extend into the border like it usually (but not always) does, and the colors on both seem to be off (but it could be the scan). Also, the previous buyer backed away from the purchase (the Yellow Ruth)---could it be that he wanted to have it authenticated. Scott, did you ask him if he would send it directly to a gradng company?

Archive
01-03-2002, 08:05 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Irrelevent to the question of authenticity, the cards don't appeared to be graded accurately.

Archive
01-03-2002, 08:30 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Told him I was going to send it to SGC and it looked small - would he refund my money if SGC said it was altered. He just said it was a nice card and that it was real. It looked EX to me, which would have been a good value if graded that way by SGC, but I think the best rule is to only buy high dollar cards from dealers you know or friends. There is something fishy about this seller, but someone else can figure it out.

Archive
01-03-2002, 08:32 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>There's no reason to bid on an item if there's little or no chance you'll receive it. Real, fake, reprint, great deal, bad deal, whatever...just my opinion!

Archive
01-03-2002, 08:49 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>If I'm not going to receive the card, I at least want it to be authentic and accurately graded.

Archive
01-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>David --<BR><BR>I think that your thoughts on this matter demonstrate one of the biggest problems with some Internet auctions. All too often, the bidders become involved in second-guessing the authenticity or exact condition of a card or group of cards. Perhaps a better strategy would be to assess the legitimacy, knowledge and trustworthiness of the source. In many cases, I believe the integrity of the seller says as much or more about what is being offered than anything else.

Archive
01-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Though the bidder has the obligation to judge what is pictured in an auction, I largely agree with your assesment. The reason I bid in certain auctions is 1)they know what they are doing and 2)if there is a mistake, it's fixed.

Archive
01-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>that when I wrote the single sentence at 11:49 pm, I was making a joke. Whether or not it was funny, when I was writing the joke I honestly thought, "I bet Michael W. will take this as serious."

Archive
01-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>David,<BR><BR>Actually, my response was meant to be a general assessment of some Internet auctions. I don't know if it was targeted to your second post so much as your first one.

Archive
01-04-2002, 05:53 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>No problem. As noted, I agreed with your assesment.