PDA

View Full Version : A ? about cabinet cards and grading services

Archive
12-14-2001, 12:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Chris</b><p>Does anyone know why the grading services do not grade cabinet cards? I always assumed it was because the size of the cards made slabbing them too difficult/costly, etc. Lately though, it seems like larger cards are being graded. Surely it cant be that hard to make a piece of plastic to hold a Turkey Red can it???

Archive
12-14-2001, 01:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>I collect a lot of different cabinets so I'd like to see them grade them but I think it's a matter of supply and demand. The standard 2.5x3.5 cards are so prevalent that PSA, SGC, etc can have the equipment pretty much standardized to handle large demand for that size. The vast majority of the cards in the SCD catalog fall into the normal sized holders or the larger holders for cards like exhibits, 64 Topps Giants. Unfortunately, Old Judge Cabinets, T3's, W600's and other 'standard' sized cabinet cards are lots bulkier and there just aren't as many out there. Who knows, maybe someone will belly up and do it down the road. I would think the cost to grade would have to be quite a bit higher to match demand to be able to pay for the equipment. On another note.....at this year's National, the wonderful folks at PRO were grading autographed 8x10's with a similar type of holder as the cards for the 8x10's so someone has the equipment out there. Don't feel too comfortable sending anything to them though!

Archive
12-14-2001, 01:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Chris</b><p>Hopefully the "real" grading companies (I dont count PRO in that group!) will decide its worth the effort. Personally, I wouldnt mind paying a little extra to get my cabinets slabbed.

Archive
12-14-2001, 02:35 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I suspect that accuracy of authentication/identification/dating is a big issue for the grading card companies-- as, unlike most regular trading cards, there is a wide, wide variety of oscure and unique style cabinet cards of obscure players. If you think PSA has troubles labelling an Old Judge or E90-1, wait until they try labelling some obscure cabinet card, like Jaime's ... My personal hope is that, other than the possibly with cataloged cabinet cards (Old Judge, etc), the grading card companies don't grade cabinet cards, cdvs, stereographs, etc. While some may disagree with me, I think wishing to apply '1-10' or '1-100' grading systems used on 2001 Inserts to a unique 1865 carte de visite or cabinet card, is silly and shows a misunderstanding of vintage photography and what it's about.