PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Seen Trimmed Honus In Mastro's Auction?

Archive
11-06-2001, 11:05 AM
Posted By: <b>Tomato Juice Junior&nbsp; </b><p>Oh the horror...and such weasel language like I have never seen! <BR>Has a Piedmont back too! Where is Scott Elkins when we need him?

Archive
11-06-2001, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Mr. Juice, While I haven't seen it in person, I was given large/detailed scans of the card and do not see a problem with with it('weasel language' not withstanding). I would have happily sent your the scans, but, strangely, you did not leave your contact information.

Archive
11-06-2001, 07:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Vognar Julie</b><p>Is every Old Judge in the world suddenly creeping out of the wooodwork?<BR><BR> Julie

Archive
11-07-2001, 06:08 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>This card does have a skew to it, but it has very rough edges - I can't think of any motivation for trimming a card in that manner other than to disguise a fake, which this doesn't seem to be. Also, the "upside down" partial image at the top of the card leads me to believe that it was hand-cut from printers scrap. I would love to hear theories from the experts.<BR><BR><a href="http://catalog.mastronet.com/catalog_lot_information.cfm?lot=17656#image" target=_new>http://catalog.mastronet.com/catalog_lot_information.cfm?lot=17656#image</a>

Archive
11-07-2001, 10:56 AM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>I don't see any trimming on the card. What I thought was interesting is the poor print job. Way more black then we are used to seeing.<BR><BR>Could the lack of Piedmont backed Wagners be due to no other reason then that a batch was printed poorly and rejected. <BR>

Archive
11-07-2001, 12:42 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I think that Scott's and Pete's similar theories that both Piedmonts were scraps/poor print jobs sounds good. Though, the Mastro auction I beleive suggests that the card came from a pack, meaning the card was actually issued and not just tossed out at the printers.<BR><BR>Lastly, while not wishng to start up the big debate again, the appearance of a new Piedmont with a larger(?), irregular cut and a slight misprint does support, though not prove, the popular consipracy theory about a certain card.

Archive
11-07-2001, 02:13 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Just wondering - that would seem to be a harder thing to determine than who the extra image is (it's Wagner), which Mastro doesn't mention. Also, this image, while incomplete, is still much clearer than the ones I've seen left by wet sheets. Do you all think the Weimer of Charles' with the extra image was caused by a wet sheet, or by a duplicate printing of the black ink?

Archive
11-07-2001, 02:58 PM
Posted By: <b>mike mullins</b><p>Looks to me that the card may have been handcut, but certainly not trimmed (at least not in the last 80 years or so). The letter backing it up is pretty solid evidence too, along with the fact that the card came in a big lot and not "found stuck behind a drawer in gramma's attic". I guess sometimes a Wagner is just a Wagner. <BR><BR>mike