PDA

View Full Version : Strip cards - acceptable cuts

Archive
09-29-2001, 11:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Tim Sedlock</b><p>I recently won an auction on eBay for a 1923 W515-1 Babe Ruth strip card - item number 1007174445. The seller was RFT55@aol.com who does have 5 negative feedbacks. The name of the company is Legends of the Game and they are located in Lewiston, IL.<BR><BR>He also sells on Yahoo and goes by brock0899 - 13 negative feedbacks. And he has yet another e-mail address he uses for paypal/pay direct which is WeRIndns@aol.com. I might have been a little weary of purchasing the card had I known originally if the two were one in the same.<BR><BR>Anyway, before the auction was over I e-mailed them and asked for dimension of the card (L X W) and their reply was (2-1/4" X 1-3/8") and this is what the 2001 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards lists it as.<BR><BR>I received the card today and it does look nice, but actual measurements made by me put it at (2-3/16" X 1-5/16") - and probably a hair over for both the L and W. It appears that the card is barely under 1/16" short both ways. If I submitted this card to say SGC would they consider it gradeable or does anyone think they may find the cut unacceptable??? Otherwise the card looks real nice in terms of corners and wear. Let me know your thoughts.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Tim<BR>

Archive
09-29-2001, 12:38 PM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>The only price guide i have that lists that set has the size at "2 3/8 x 1 5/8" someone else has a w515 ruth on ebay right now,maybe you could ask them to measure the card...i have 5 w515's that arent trimmed(vg/ex condition bought indirectly from original owner) i could measure for you,around monday night if you want me to....but i would say,look to see if the card looks like its been trimmed recently,if it has that little "bat ear" i think they call it,that would result from trimming,but with strip cards its hard to tell,im sure the grading companies have some leniancy(sic?) with them ....let me know if you need the measurements,John