PDA

View Full Version : T206/HOF question?

Archive
09-21-2001, 12:17 PM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>This is more of a hypothetical question,and with the new hall of fame voting rules next year,its more of a longshot than in the past,but if Bill Dahlen made the hall of fame,and he has pretty good numbers for his era,2400+ hits,1594 runs,1200+ rbi's,587 stolen bases,and he was a shortstop...assume he made it,what do you think that would do to the value of his t206 brooklyn variation card?in the 2 price guide i have this card is about 6x the value of commons,i dont know if this would translate to 6x the value of "common" hall of famers?....can anyone think of a similar case happening recently,maybe with george davis,vic willis?...i know with bid mcphee,not too many people thought of him as a possible HOF'er and when he made it his old judge cards skyrocketed,though i know the dahlen/brooklyn isnt as rare as them...i'd like to hear what people think? John

Archive
09-21-2001, 09:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Doug Allen</b><p>My thoughts are that similar to rare backs like Uzit and Drum there are multiples paid for the rarity vs. a premium paid for the HOF status. In other words the Dahlen card would naturally go for more since it is rare; but although a premium could be demanded for the HOF status it would not be a multiple like it currently demands as a common. That sounds confusing. Example. Dahlen currently may sell for $200 vs. a normal common that sells for $30 in the same condition. If he reaches HOF status I think it could demand $300 to $400; but not a 6x multiple of a less scarce HOFer.

Archive
09-21-2001, 11:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Doug Allen</b><p>It actually comes with many different backs. They are as follows:<BR>American Beauty, 350 subjects (with frame line)<BR>Broad Leaf, 350 subjects<BR>Carolina Brights<BR>Cycle, 350 subjects<BR>Drum<BR>El Principe De Gales<BR>Old Mill<BR>Piedmont, 350 subjects<BR>Polar Bear<BR>Sovereign, 350 subjects<BR>Sweet Caporal, 350 subjects, factory 25<BR>Sweet Caporal, 350 subjects, factory 30<BR>Tolstoi<BR>

Archive
09-22-2001, 10:30 AM
Posted By: <b>john</b><p>thanks Doug....by the way,do you(or anyone else) know which brand backs the dahlen/brooklyn comes with? ....i think mine is piedmont,might be sweet cap,but i dont have it in front of me....thanks,John

Archive
09-22-2001, 07:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>In my experience, a vintage player getting elected to the Hall of Fame causes a very very minor bump in prices. There are some collectors who only collect Hall of Fame players, thus increasing demand slightly.<BR><BR>Even with autographs, Hall of Fame status doesn't seem to confer much change in price. A player's stats seem to dictate how their career is viewed, and thus the demand side in autographs. For example, the only time that a player's autograph shows a huge increase in value with a Hall of Fame election is when the supply of signatures is very low (i.e. died young), or when it was not an expected election (like an umpire). Most turn-of-the-century stars have their "Hall of Fame electability" factored into the price. As a modern example, the prices of Nelson Fox's signatures have changed only slightly after his election, even though he has been deceased. His signature has always been at a premium due to the expectation he would be elected one day.<BR><BR>Cards work in much of the same way. It is only the type collectors (HOF players only) that really affect the demand-side of the price.

Archive
09-22-2001, 08:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Doug Allen</b><p>In the past few weeks (2) Vic Willis cards in Exmt or better condition sold for over $300 on eBay and low grade examples with creases sold for around $50. This is a lot more than commons sell for. Even though his cards sold for more than typical commons before he was elected they never sold for that much money.