PDA

View Full Version : Card Size Variation

Archive
09-14-2001, 11:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot (pro9)</b><p>I've got a theory on why some issues have a very consistent card size (such as t206) while others have significant variation. Issues that have crop marks on the sheets should have a consistent size, as the crop marks were also used when cutting with the guillotine, while those without crop marks would not. Thus, if the proofs from an issue did not have crop marks, it would stand to reason that neither would the sheets and the size could have a large variation. Similiarly, the t206 proofs do have crop marks, and the issue has a consistent size. Thoughts???

Archive
09-14-2001, 11:46 PM
Posted By: <b>David Rudd</b><p>Fascinating question. I don't agree with your theory, however. I beleive that on the T206 proofs, the crosses were not placed there to aid in the cutting. I beleive they were placed there to make sure that the colors were aligned. <BR>Also, I don't think we can say which cards used no crosses on all their proofs. In any given issue there will be different kinds of proofs-- some possibly with crosses, some without. There may be T206 proofs without crosses (maybe even those cards BMW was selling). Other issues, unknown to us, may have had proofs with crosses.<BR>Having said that, I don't know why there differences in size variations. It may come down to the care and skill of the printer, and the printer's need for consistancy in size (due to packaging needs?).

Archive
09-15-2001, 10:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>The crosses were put on to align the colors, BUT they were also used to line up the guillotine for cutting.

Archive
09-15-2001, 01:07 PM
Posted By: <b>David Rudd</b><p>Hello Elliot, could you or someone else give a short list of issues where the sizes are consistant and those where the sizes vary greatly?

Archive
09-19-2001, 03:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>Elliott, my T206's seem to be all over the map as far as size - is there an allowable variance on these, or do you just have to get a good magnifier and use your own judgement?

Archive
09-19-2001, 06:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Vognar Julie</b><p>Even with my small collection of T206's, I have two jumbos. A Chase which is big all over, and a Vic Willis throwing which is just TALL. I mean, isn't that how the PSA 8 Honus Wagner got to be a PSA 8 Honus Wagner? Didn't think it was a secret...<BR><BR> Julie

Archive
09-19-2001, 08:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot (pro9)</b><p>is that the Jumbos were created when the sheets that were being printed were larger than normal. This would result in either the top or the bottom row (or the left or right side column) being larger than normal. My experience is that a larger than normal percentage of jumbos are off-centre (do you agree???) due to the larger sheet size. Any other theories as to the existence of jumbos?