PDA

View Full Version : National League Signed baseball --who am I ??

Directly
02-29-2024, 05:54 AM
National League Signed baseball --who am I--any guesses, thoughts? National baseball Bill White Pres. era baseball--if not thanks for looking!

roarfrom34
02-29-2024, 06:01 AM
Willie Mays; no comment on the authenticity or lack thereof

Directly
02-29-2024, 08:23 AM
I think your right, compared with other Mays autos online--thank you.

doug.goodman
02-29-2024, 11:52 AM
It's unquestionably Willie.

I have no opinion as to it's authenticity.

Here mine, which I know is real and was signed on July 17, 1982, for comparison.

ooo-ribay
02-29-2024, 03:37 PM

I think it’s unquestionably someone forging Willie. :cool:

doug.goodman
02-29-2024, 04:17 PM
I think it’s unquestionably someone forging Willie. :cool:

Rob's opinion is good enough for me

Directly
03-01-2024, 07:03 AM
Are all signed baseball for sale like this Mays auto forged? guess ill send it in , nothing lost nothing gained. --Thanks to all.

ooo-ribay
03-01-2024, 08:30 AM
Are all signed baseball for sale like this Mays auto forged? guess ill send it in , nothing lost nothing gained. --Thanks to all.

I’ll be interested to hear an “expert” opinion. To me, everything about “Mays” looks wrong. Then again, if it’s a recent signature, he is nearly 93 years old.

Georj
03-01-2024, 11:12 AM
I always thought the Willie Mays signatures with the circles to dot the i's were fake. Is that not true? I have one with the circles but always thought it was a secretarial

Polarboy
03-01-2024, 11:58 AM

Here mine, which I know is real and was signed on July 17, 1982, for comparison.

Interesting! I have a similar styled signature, but I thought he stopped using this method in the 70’s!

(Btw: This signature is unauthenticated atm, hoping it’s real though!)

Vintagedeputy
03-01-2024, 11:10 PM
National League Signed baseball --who am I--any guesses, thoughts? National baseball Bill White Pres. era baseball--if not thanks for looking!

Although its fake as hell, its one of the most recognizable signatures in sports. Did you really not know who it was supposed to be?

Kaneen
03-01-2024, 11:33 PM
I’ll be interested to hear an “expert” opinion. To me, everything about “Mays” looks wrong. Then again, if it’s a recent signature, he is nearly 93 years old.

No opinion as to authenticity of the OP's Mays, but it is 100% not a recent signature. Mays is in no shape to sign, and has had failing eyesight for years. This card was signed at one of his final public signings in 2011, a MAB show over a dozen years ago. On his first attempt to sign the card, he butchered it so badly (nearly missing the card) the promoter let me have him try again on this second copy I had with me. This was the best he could do, and that was years ago. I would doubt he is even able to sign at all these days.

https://www.sportscollectors.net/photos/124577.jpg

doug.goodman
03-02-2024, 03:41 AM
I always thought the Willie Mays signatures with the circles to dot the i's were fake. Is that not true? I have one with the circles but always thought it was a secretarial

I assume you're talking about the one I posted, and while I was not completely present at the moment that it was signed, here are a couple pictures taken from right next to me.

If mine is "secretarial" than the secretary looks to have been either Frank Robinson, Bob Lurie or Mike Sadek (I think).

rlevy
03-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Early 60's auto, on the back of my father's business card. Big circle here. Not sure entirely of its relevance to this discussion however:).

Rick

Cliff Bowman
03-02-2024, 09:20 PM
Here's mine, which I know is real and signed July 17, 1982.

I assume you're talking about the one I posted, and while I was not completely present at the moment that it was signed, here are a couple pictures taken from right next to me.

If mine is "secretarial" than the secretary looks to have been either Frank Robinson, Bob Lurie or Mike Sadek (I think).

I don't doubt your story one iota and the Giants did play a home game against the Phillies on that date, but what puzzles me is Mike Sadek was released in August 1981 and the only two players who wore #3 in 1982 for the Giants were Jeff Ransom and John Rabb, for obvious reasons the player wearing #3 cannot be either of them. The mystery is who is that in the #3 jacket?

doug.goodman
03-02-2024, 09:40 PM
I don't doubt your story one iota and the Giants did play a home game against the Phillies on that date, but what puzzles me is Mike Sadek was released in August 1981 and the only two players who wore #3 in 1982 for the Giants were Jeff Ransom and John Rabb, for obvious reasons the player wearing #3 cannot be either of them. The mystery is who is that in the #3 jacket?

It was old-timer's day, that's why Mays was there. Which doesn't explain Sadek (if it's him)...

ooo-ribay
03-03-2024, 10:47 AM
It was old-timer's day, that's why Mays was there. Which doesn't explain Sadek (if it's him)...

Stand by for the definitive answer….

(Sadek’s kid sells on ebay)

ooo-ribay
03-03-2024, 11:27 AM
Sadek’s kid is cool.

Cliff Bowman
03-03-2024, 12:15 PM
Sadek must have shown up for the Old Timer's Game after being out of the Majors for less than a year :D. ETA, apparently the Giants retired #3 after the 1982 season for Bill Terry because no one has worn it since Ransom and Rabb in 1982.