PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone ID this 19th Century Piece?

Hankphenom
02-13-2024, 05:27 PM
Anyone seen one of these before?

Vintagedeputy
02-13-2024, 06:28 PM
Such an incredible piece, Hank. There’s got to be more than just one out there, but I would venture a guess and say yours is probably the finest one in existence. That thing is beautiful.

Hankphenom
02-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Such an incredible piece, Hank. There’s got to be more than just one out there, but I would venture a guess and say yours is probably the finest one in existence. That thing is beautiful. Thanks, Jim, I'm thinking maybe it's part of a game with a playing field board that you move the players around on. At the show, Joe T said he'd never seen it before and that surprised me because he's seen just about everything.

aelefson
02-14-2024, 04:47 AM
How big is it? It reminds me of the 1890s Boston Globe baseball game supplement so maybe it is from a different newspaper? The B120 numbering reminds me of some trade cards from the 1800s where a retailer could order generic ones and then stamp them with their own advertisement. If this is roughly the size as a trade card, I would lean towards that. If it is larger like the Globe supplement then it might be another newspaper's insert. Cool item regardless.

Alan

Hankphenom
02-14-2024, 07:47 AM
How big is it? It reminds me of the 1890s Boston Globe baseball game supplement so maybe it is from a different newspaper? The B120 numbering reminds me of some trade cards from the 1800s where a retailer could order generic ones and then stamp them with their own advertisement. If this is roughly the size as a trade card, I would lean towards that. If it is larger like the Globe supplement then it might be another newspaper's insert. Cool item regardless.AlanThanks, Alan. It's 7&1/2X10. I found one pictured as part of a baseball lot in a REA auction, but the link to the auction itself was dead. The similarity to the Globe supplement is striking, so I think you're right about it being a similar supplement in another paper.