PDA

View Full Version : February 2024 pickups

bocca001
02-04-2024, 09:42 AM
I just obtained this 1929 Sacramento Senators (PCL) 14 x 14 broadside schedule, with the team pictured. Some of the more notable players are Dolph Camilli, Meryl Hoag, and minor league legend Tony Freitas. There are others who played a bit in MLB or had long PCL careers. There is also a Bucky Harris, but it is not that Bucky Harris. Many of the players will be familiar to Zeenut collectors.

I thought it was interesting that the team was playing home games in both Sacramento and Stockton (a historically significant California League town). Guess they were doing all they could in the middle of the Depression to earn $$.

ValKehl
02-04-2024, 07:47 PM
Marc, I believe the Great Depression began at the end of the Summer of 1929.

Topnotchsy
02-04-2024, 10:06 PM
1953 Kansas City Monarchs photo with Ernie Banks. Originated from the scrapbook of Pancho Herrera.

bocca001
02-05-2024, 06:59 AM
Marc, I believe the Great Depression began at the end of the Summer of 1929.

So true. They were just getting ready.

bocca001
02-08-2024, 05:26 PM
I do love broadsides and have always had a hard time finding anything Giants. This one comes from a fellow collector who received it damaged, but had it repaired and matted (and wrapped in plastic at the moment). Given what it looks like damaged, I'm glad to have it in it's current condition. Still need to put a frame around it.

doug.goodman
02-08-2024, 05:29 PM
I do love broadsides and have always had a hard time finding anything Giants. This one comes from a fellow collector who received it damaged, but had it repaired and matted (and wrapped in plastic at the moment). Given what it looks like damaged, I'm glad to have it in it's current condition. Still need to put a frame around it.

Beautiful

CarltonHendricks
02-09-2024, 01:01 AM

Wow is that neat and rare...die-cut...glad to see you pieced it together and made the most of it...and kept it original...I've got some like that...

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q70/924/qus8Kw.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poqus8Kwj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q70/923/PzX9yY.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnPzX9yYj)

UKCardGuy
02-09-2024, 02:05 PM
Picked up a brochure for Mickeys Holiday Inn. (Sorry about the sideways photo)

Vintagedeputy
02-10-2024, 04:44 AM

Fixed it for ya!

CarltonHendricks
02-10-2024, 01:54 PM
Fixed it for ya!

V nice congrats

UKCardGuy
02-12-2024, 01:13 PM
Fixed it for ya!

Thanks Jim.

Scott Garner
02-22-2024, 03:49 AM
After several years of collecting, I finally completed two additional framing projects that I have envisioned.

The 1st is the original 1999 Alvin, TX Nolan Ryan Day Proclamation that was posted at the event.
In 1999 Nolan Ryan, Alvin's favorite son, was inducted into the HOF in Cooperstown.

Troy Lewis, the acting Mayor of Alvin in 1999, gifted this Proclamation to a very close personal friend of mine, Ron Vender in Ontario, Canada.
At one time, Ron had one of the very best advanced Nolan Ryan collections in the hobby. I acquired it from Ron over 10 years ago when he changed his collecting focus to vintage hockey.
Go figure, he's in Canada! :D

The second project is focused on HOF Dizzy Dean and his brother Paul "Daffy" Dean that pitched a no-hitter in 1934.
The photo was purchased many years ago from net54 good guy Mike Knapp.
I loved the image from the first time I saw it and knew that eventually it would end up framed and on my wall.
The image was taken after Paul Dean's wedding in late 1934.

The final needed piece was a vintage fountain pen cut of the Dean brothers, which was recently offered on the BST by Moonlight Graham Joe.
Thanks Joe for allowing me to complete this project.
I hope you love it as much as I do. :)

edtiques
02-22-2024, 04:02 AM
Just picked up these 7 pins.

02-22-2024, 04:42 AM
After several years of collecting, I finally completed two additional framing projects that I have envisioned.

The 1st is the original 1999 Alvin, TX Nolan Ryan Day Proclamation that was posted at the event. In 1999 Nolan Ryan, Alvin's favorite son, was inducted into the HOF in Cooperstown.

Troy Lewis, the acting Mayor of Alvin in 1999, gifted this Proclamation to a very close personal friend of mine, Ron Vender in Ontario, Canada.
At one time, Ron had one of the very best advanced Nolan Ryan collections in the hobby. I acquired it from Ron over 10 years ago when he changed his collecting focus to vintage hockey.

The second project is focused of HOF Dizzy Dean and his brother Paul "Daffy" Dean that pitched a no-hitter in 1934.
I loved the image from the first time I saw it and knew that eventually it would end up framed and on my wall.

The final needed piece was a vintage fountain pen cut of the Dean brothers, which was recently offered on the BST by Moonlight Graham Joe.

Incredible. Thanks for sharing, Scott!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

perezfan
02-22-2024, 10:50 AM

The 1st is the original 1999 Alvin, TX Nolan Ryan Day Proclamation that was posted at the event.
In 1999 Nolan Ryan, Alvin's favorite son, was inducted into the HOF in Cooperstown.

The second project is focused on HOF Dizzy Dean and his brother Paul "Daffy" Dean that pitched a no-hitter in 1934.

Awesome Scott...

Beautiful framing/matting, and I've always loved that photo of the Dean Brothers with their spouses as well. Such a fun image, and so great that Mike made it available to you.

Tell us about the vintage glove that sits next to the Walter Johnson Southland Bronze. Would love to hear what it is, and any story behind it.

Great stuff!

gunboat82
02-22-2024, 05:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/btPFiF4h.jpg (https://imgur.com/btPFiF4)

bat_master
02-22-2024, 09:17 PM
It's not often that I add to my personal collection but I was fortunate to add two to the wall so far this month.

1940-44 Hillerich & Bradsby Al Simmons A's/Red Sox Game Used Bat

1942-43 Hillerich & Bradsby Joe Gordon New York Yankees Game Used Bat (MVP Era)

Scott Garner
02-23-2024, 08:07 AM
Awesome Scott...

Beautiful framing/matting, and I've always loved that photo of the Dean Brothers with their spouses as well. Such a fun image, and so great that Mike made it available to you.

Tell us about the vintage glove that sits next to the Walter Johnson Southland Bronze. Would love to hear what it is, and any story behind it.

Great stuff!

Thanks Mark!
FYI, I have posted this glove before on net54.
It's a circa 1939 D & M Johnny Vander Meer endorsed glove.
I had A1 Glove Repair pump some life into it when I bought it.
It's was a toughee for me to find, FWIW

jpop43
02-23-2024, 08:19 PM
This month saw the acquisition of two vintage gloves that I have literally been pursing for decades. The first of which was this really high-end, c. 1953-1955, Spalding Model 1121 with Phil Rizzuto signature endorsement…

jpop43
02-23-2024, 08:23 PM
The second glove was this split fingered, Model JR46 made by Olympic Sporting Goods Co. of NYC…A Peerless Brand. It is a very rare, made in the USA, Jackie Robinson model glove.

Mark
02-24-2024, 12:02 PM
It's not often that I add to my personal collection but I was fortunate to add two to the wall so far this month.

1940-44 Hillerich & Bradsby Al Simmons A's/Red Sox Game Used Bat

1942-43 Hillerich & Bradsby Joe Gordon New York Yankees Game Used Bat (MVP Era)

Tim
those are beauties. How long is the Simmons bat? It looks like a nice one.

Vintagedeputy
02-24-2024, 08:03 PM
Today’s pinback button finds.

mrreality68
02-26-2024, 07:41 PM

Love it

Great pick up Gary