PDA

View Full Version : Gehrig Ruth with Father Flanigan 1927

bigfanNY
12-17-2023, 08:06 PM
Anyboy recognize this picture. Bought it out of a box of sports related pics many years ago. Mostly cut from magazines books etc. I belive that is where this oriinates but would like to know origin if possible. I always thought a nice picture

Thank you
Jonathan

bobw
12-17-2023, 10:16 PM
From Getty...

(Original Caption) Babe Ruth, the home-run king, hasn't forgotten his days in an orphanage; for during his visit here he went to see Father Flanagan's boy home. The Bambino was accompanied by Lou Gehrig, both complimented the hOme on its good work, and told the boys not to be ashamed that they were being raised in such a institution. photo was taken at Father Flanagan's Boys' Home, shows a few of the Institution's inmates; and, left to right, Captain Joseph Beneach, the Home's bandmaster, Lou Gherig, Father Flanagan, and Babe Ruth. (Photo by George Rinhart/Corbis via Getty Images)

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/530855468/photo/babe-ruth-the-home-run-king-hasnt-forgotten-his-days-in-an-orphanage-for-during-his-visit-here.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=yo58LDFb75KncfyBaDp4Gjy3vg41L7rDdUqNa3kd7kk=

bigfanNY
12-18-2023, 08:39 AM
Thank you for your response.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I am old enough to know exactly who Father Flanagan was. Having seen the Movie Boys Town with Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney back when channell 9 and channel 11 showed them on weekends.
What I was asking was the origin ( from a book or magazine) of this exact photo. In other words dose someone here have the book or magazine this came from?