PDA

View Full Version : most disappointing card in a pack ?

ALBB
11-30-2023, 12:59 PM
Back in the day when you were opening packs ..

What was the most disappointing card in the pack -

A) a checklist

B) a team card

C) a manager card

D) a " double"

E) an off-center/ double vision card

F) something else ?

bnorth
11-30-2023, 01:25 PM
Back in the day when you were opening packs ..

What was the most disappointing card in the pack -

A) a checklist

B) a team card

C) a manager card

D) a " double"

E) an off-center/ double vision card

F) something else ?

F) for me. I can't even remember the player. It was a super star player at the time. I opened an older pack and hit an awesome super low #ed auto card. Sadly it was a redemption and it expired a few months earlier.:(

EDIT to add: If I was old enough to open 55 Bowman those darn umpire cards would have disappointed me. I know I was disappointed when I had to buy them.

mikemb
11-30-2023, 01:44 PM
D) a " double"

I bought most of my packs at a corner store, about a block or so from my house. I was not even out the front door of the store and the pack was opened, slab of gum shoved in my mouth, and looked at the cards. You dib not have to look at your checklist, you knew the cards by sight as to which ones you needed and those you did not.

Many times the cards and wrapper were put in the trach can outside the store and then back in with another nickel to repeat the process.

Mike

D. Bergin
11-30-2023, 02:05 PM
When I was just a kid, it was most definitely getting a checklist. I was never a set builder (more of an accumulator), so I didn't need them. Just wanted Yankees and Stars.

Once I got into my teenage years, it would be whenever you actually hit the big card in the set, and it ended up being all jacked up.

ie. You paid $10 bucks a pack for a bunch of 81' Football, you actually pull a Joe Montana and it's an 90/10 off center or has a gum/wax stain on the front/back.

or....you pull a Don Mattingly Rookie out of a Topps rack (unlikely
BTW, as they were all searched ahead of time if they weren't straight out of a new case), and it's got a battered corner from somebody thumbing through the rack.

pclpads
11-30-2023, 02:07 PM
As a kid buying '57 T BB in 1957, seemed like every pack had a Herb Plews common.

butchie_t
11-30-2023, 02:33 PM
Doubles for sure.

74 Topps and Winston Lleanis was the bane of my existence and chase to complete that set. It's too danged bad he did not explode into a HOFer. I could have retired with all of the dupes of him that I got. It seemed that every trip to the 7-11 ended up with me getting at least 1 or 2 of them.

G1911
11-30-2023, 02:38 PM
As a kid, a duplicate was the only thing I didn’t love in a pack. Or the ad insert card for a stadium club membership or Pro Set points or a Topps t shirt.

Nowadays it’s an expired redemption as the hit, easily.

JollyElm
11-30-2023, 02:39 PM
F) Junk

My brothers and I always referred to the checklists, league leaders, playoffs/World Series, highlights, etc., coming out of packs as the all-encompassing "junk" (I still call it that), and were immediately relegated to the bottom of the stack behind everything else (sorted by teams, with the Mets on top) and ignored.

nolemmings
11-30-2023, 03:09 PM
F) Others: Inserts. I had dozens upon dozens of '68 game cards and '69 deckles, which still were gold compared to those ugly booklets and scratch-offs that followed, which in turn were fantastic when compared to those hideous airbrushed, faux-newspaper headline "TRADED" cards afterward. Of course, I shed my collection of all of these to where I would not mind having more now.

Checklists. How boring, but ironically {read stupidly}, I would wait awhile before writing on them and would pick the nicest centered example to ruin.

Doubles. Only one comes to mind. 1970 Charlie Metro. First pack opened in 1970, already pissed that the price had doubled from last year. Card design blah. Card pic of old Charlie and his airbrushed hat-- yuck. Finding two of Charlie in the same pack--first pack no less-- beyond disappointing. Infuriating.

jmoran19
11-30-2023, 03:14 PM
Checklist as well

Harliduck
11-30-2023, 05:13 PM
As a kid in the late 70's buying packs...same as mentioned...Checklists, Leader Cards, Team Pics...all got no respect...

The biggest "frustration" as a kid for me is easy...when 1981 Donruss came out...at first, I was excited my corner store had ALL THREE brands...Topps, Fleer, and those 81 Donruss cards...the frustration came when I bought a box of Donruss...and there were Doubles IN THE SAME PACK!

sb1
11-30-2023, 05:25 PM
1969 Topps, packs were still a nickel, so my grandmother would give me a$1 and I could get 20 packs. This was early in the year, so 1st series and I swear Al McBean was in every other pack and I had NO idea who he was.....

ALBB
11-30-2023, 05:37 PM
Yea, those 68 T game, 69 T deckle....they were such small sets...it wasn't long before you were getting doubles of those insert cards..especially if you were opening a few packs a day !

D. Bergin
11-30-2023, 05:38 PM
As a kid in the late 70's buying packs...same as mentioned...Checklists, Leader Cards, Team Pics...all got no respect...

The biggest "frustration" as a kid for me is easy...when 1981 Donruss came out...at first, I was excited my corner store had ALL THREE brands...Topps, Fleer, and those 81 Donruss cards...the frustration came when I bought a box of Donruss...and there were Doubles IN THE SAME PACK!

Yeah, those first 81 Donruss boxes that came out were brutal. :(

Of the 3, I liked the Donruss front design the best (not a fan of the half-assed stat lines on the back), but breaking boxes was rough.

Bcwcardz
11-30-2023, 05:42 PM
Doubles. Centering was a non issue for youngsters years ago. A double vision or mis cut would have been a novelty for us and carried extra value. It was about the cards, the way it should be. I still remember asking for a pack of cards on the liquor store counter when I was 3. 1976 Topps and the Hank Aaron it produced. I had that beater for years until I gave it to a friend. As to the original question, I really hated having a stack of doubles and missing so many cards. Luckily I didn’t grow up in the era of having to put together sets by series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spec
11-30-2023, 06:18 PM
As a kid buying '57 T BB in 1957, seemed like every pack had a Herb Plews common.

+1 or Ernie Oravetz

Volod
11-30-2023, 06:47 PM
Doubles. Centering was a non issue for youngsters years ago. A double vision or mis cut would have been a novelty for us and carried extra value. It was about the cards, the way it should be. I still remember asking for a pack of cards on the liquor store counter when I was 3. 1976 Topps and the Hank Aaron it produced. I had that beater for years until I gave it to a friend. As to the original question, I really hated having a stack of doubles and missing so many cards. Luckily I didn’t grow up in the era of having to put together sets by series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To this day, I recall the annoyance I felt as an eight-year-old spending my hard earned nickels on my favorite set, 1952 Bowman cards, at the corner Mom & Pop establishment. I think my set totaled about two hundred cards, but more than half of them were doubles - or in some cases, triples or septuples. Imagine my frustration thirty years later upon seeing a checklist of that set for the first time and noticing that the holy grail was card number 101, which I never found in a waxpack that year, while pulling out several cards numbered 100 (Sisti) and 102 (Lowery). I still suspect some kind of communist plot involved.

Peter_Spaeth
11-30-2023, 07:07 PM
86 Fleer pack. Pulled a Jordan, but it was the worst centered one I had ever seen.

quitcrab
11-30-2023, 07:11 PM
Miscut cards or a 1980 Carl Yaz or Rod Carew…. I had so many of them
Obviously a DP

Griffins
11-30-2023, 07:48 PM
Usually it was a checklist, especially since they seemed to be quadruple printed, but in '72 by far the worst card to get was any of the "Boyhood Photo of the Stars" cards.

nolemmings
11-30-2023, 09:00 PM
Usually it was a checklist, especially since they seemed to be quadruple printed, but in '72 by far the worst card to get was any of the "Boyhood Photo of the Stars" cards.

Really? I kind of liked those. I could relate at least a little because I was more or less the same age as the kids in the photos. I certainly understood those old unis they were wearing.

Now the 1972 trophies and plaques-- less than desirable IMO.

Eric72
11-30-2023, 10:40 PM
Strangely, I can’t recall being disappointed with any of the cards I pulled as a kid. I am, however, disappointed that I have so very few of them left.

GeoPoto
12-01-2023, 03:41 AM
"As a kid buying '57 T BB in 1957, seemed like every pack had a Herb Plews common."

I resemble that remark!

Herbert E. "Herb" Plews. Second baseman for the Washington Senators in 1956-1959. 266 hits and 4 home runs in 4 MLB seasons. Also played for the Boston Red Sox.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=599349&stc=1&d=1701427197.
https://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=599350&stc=1&d=1701427200

Kevvyg1026
12-01-2023, 04:35 AM
For me, opening that first pack of 1968s, with the ugly burlap design, was a disappointment. After the beautiful 67s, I felt the 68 design was less than appealing.

And, naturally, I always seemed to get a Ron Hunt or John Stephenson (which I later learned were in the 3x rows and printed more often). And, some of those opened packs yielded cards with white or red lines, so an ugly card got uglier.

I changed my opinion a little when I finally pulled a Mantle or Clemente, and I eventually became fond of the tighter burlap design (but I still dislike the 1st series cards).

Now, I chase the cards with those lines so a reconstruction of the printing pattern can be done. How ironic that what was once ugly has now turned desirable.

A similar feeling of disappointment occurred when I first saw the 72s. That psychedelia was such a turn off after the beautiful 71s.

Hxcmilkshake
12-01-2023, 06:39 AM
Yeah, those first 81 Donruss boxes that came out were brutal. :(

Of the 3, I liked the Donruss front design the best (not a fan of the half-assed stat lines on the back), but breaking boxes was rough.Yeah some youtuber recently opened a 81D box and got the same pack over and over, only about 100 unique cards.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

stlcardsfan
12-01-2023, 09:14 AM
My neighborhood friends are I were opening packs like crazy in 1976.

Seemed like there was a Pat Dobson-Traded card in every pack! There would be an audible groan every time we got one.

JustinD
12-01-2023, 09:48 AM
When I was just a kid, it was most definitely getting a checklist. I was never a set builder (more of an accumulator), so I didn't need them. Just wanted Yankees and Stars.

Once I got into my teenage years, it would be whenever you actually hit the big card in the set, and it ended up being all jacked up.

ie. You paid $10 bucks a pack for a bunch of 81' Football, you actually pull a Joe Montana and it's an 90/10 off center or has a gum/wax stain on the front/back.

This sums it up perfectly for my answer

A: Checklist (boring)
B: The gum or wax stain card that was seemingly always the one I needed.

steve B
12-01-2023, 11:06 AM
F something else.

That something else varied depending on the set.

My first year really collecting it was yet another copy of that same traded card.

81 it was the pack from the batch of packs the local card shop had. each with 11 of the same card, then I think 4 others. One kid got 11 Yaz, not a disappointment. His friend got 11 of the same checklist...huge disappointment.
I think I got 11 of the same common. Had to get one or two just for fun. By then they'd removed them from sale and had called Donruss.

Lately, it's not getting any cards of players I actually know who they are.....

lampertb
12-01-2023, 04:59 PM
I pulled what seemed like 100 of these back in '87 from the local Stop 'n Shop in Boston.
It's not an action shot, it is in fact a super-boring pose, the colors are bland, and it was not from a team that I cared about at the time.
I obviously was uneducated.
Ironically, I moved to Minnesota one year later.

David W
12-02-2023, 12:31 PM
My friends and I collected by team and not by numerical order, so a checklist was despised and of no value.

Duplicates were a distant second unless they were a star player. Duplicates could be traded as well.

Beercan collector
12-03-2023, 01:15 PM
F) Greg Minton .. 1978

butchie_t
12-03-2023, 01:22 PM
F) Greg Minton .. 1978
That card is just plain UGLY.

mikemb
12-03-2023, 01:49 PM
That card is just plain UGLY.

+1

Mike

mortimer brewster
12-03-2023, 03:52 PM
I second 1981 Donruss.

Back in 1981 I purchased an entire box from the corner store. The only players in the box were Yankees Tigers and Royals. I believe I pulled 15 John Wathan cards alone.

As far as pack opening. 1971 Topps football. It seemed like every other pack had the yard marker game insert.

I also experienced Yastrzemski and Carew overload in 1980. I must have opened several hundred packs that year and then ordered 4 vending boxes out of the Sporting News and I still did not have a complete set.

Bill77
12-03-2023, 11:13 PM
For me and my brother it was Al Toon in 88 Topps football. Seemed like every other pack we opened had one. Other than that, my little trip down memory lane both boxes of 88 Topps baseball every hall of famer was the card stuck to the gum in every pack.

Tere1071
12-06-2023, 11:01 PM
Two disappointments, both from 1972. From the first series baseball cards that year I purchased two packs that only contained six cards and the Yaz was ripped as well. For the football set that year (1-263, I didn't know about the high numbers at the time), it took me at least 20 packs before I found the Roman Gabriel In Action card as it was the last card I needed.

Phil aka Tere1071

rhettyeakley
12-10-2023, 01:06 PM
I can only imagine the disappointment of a young kid buying a pack of 1948 Bowman Basketball cards and getting a bunch of the “Play” cards! 🤣

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134846569565?hash=item1f657b5c5d:g:SC8AAOSwfPhldOu V&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8Ktn0YGfBjLZAquNEJDfr94n54JW3 p0OW9u%2B4jQWik327xE%2BCL6ca%2FU8eOYJwLXi7iAFMUXPM OQ3T0R9vzYvKgJxtjYWSW1A3MRUf59rijFbkIpfld0Xs2CmsV7 H9Htohas6rrMLk6%2B9g%2FtHM7q6jo%2FMU%2Fh8eiRvXW6SB r1qdOL1JFAPl0HLaExk2kJPH1gZul%2Bu1IwddsgBvGtDG5rJc V9CMk%2FzHuBftFrGe12OggAKIYJmkvWi1KRf7taARgXdqzfYK cbg9b%2FzqQJ%2Fgmhopdci%2BPIULLo8YNDASKazwtuoqEjWb svPzyw1JDN83VW0kg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-7psNWKYw

D. Bergin
12-10-2023, 02:28 PM
What about the old sticker packs with the puzzle cards. You get Rickey Henderson's legs, with his top half nowhere in sight, no matter how many more packs you open up.

:mad::mad::mad: