PDA

View Full Version : Day 3 at the National - Friday Report

Golfcollector
07-28-2023, 08:01 PM
This is my last report as I am headed home in the a.m.

Unfortunately I missed out on the Net 54 gathering tonight, but hope to make one at a future National

Arrived just before 9:30 and got right in. Headed to the PSA area to get a custom encapsulated card. Nice free thing that PSA is doing, I would think kids would like this...you can autograph it, number it etc before they slab the photo. Ready in about an hour.

Headed to SGC to check early traffic, it was fairly light...the lune at Topps for wrapper redemption however was quite long.

Followed up on a lead on an Orange boarders Crawford, but arrived on a private offer on Psa 2 of same card for 1/2 the price via email. . So went that direction.

Appreciate other members here leading me to stuff I am or might be after.

Cooker in the morning at the show, but warmed up as the day, the outside temps, and the crowd size increased. A lot of commerial fans and blowers were in place, so that at least got some air moving. That was an improvement over yesterday.

Stopped and talked to REA and check out the auction preview. Dick Perez was there, he was chatting with a collector that looked to have a binder full of autographed 80's Diamond Kings.

Checked out a few other Crawfords, but ended up passing on each.

Stopped by the Memory Lane booth to hold the Babe Ruth gamer 40 oz bat. Cool fan experience...guessing their insurance company may not feel the same way.

Tried to take a few more pics of some vintage signs, a seller with a number of Ruth Exhibits, and another with a large sampling of vintage cabinets.

Witnessed a number of larger vintage transactions ..A number of mid 50's to 60's Mantles, Kaline RC, a couple of Mathewsons, a few Old Judges.

Lot of vintage set collectors working through their lists too. Saw another guy buy a 1970 Topps set, and another transaction with someone grabbing some high grade 71's.

Brian Urlacher was in the VIP area today, and that was also quite popular.

Got hit up 3 times asking if I had any Vee Friends I wanted to sell. The VIP badge must be a flashing light for that. I dont know squat about these....but at the next National for you tgat get the VIP swag, these are bringing, in some cases, enough to
Recoup the badge cost.

I have included my 3 main things at the show including tge Rose Postcard I got slabbed to better protect it.

Still trying to learn more about the Dietsche variations, I will likely start a thread about that when I get home.

Met a number of other collectors and a few folks I have corresponded with for years, and finally got to meet in person.

Overall a great experience. I enjoy meeting and talking with other collectors. Seems as high as the traffic is, I would think dealers are having a great show, and I expect the crowd tomorrow will be bigger.

Happy Collecting!

Dave

mrreality68
07-28-2023, 08:29 PM
Thanks for recap and those pictures are nice

Huck
07-28-2023, 09:02 PM
Nice report. The advertising pieces were awesome. Do you recall the price for those two pieces?

Golfcollector
07-28-2023, 09:24 PM
Huck i don't sorry

nebboy
07-29-2023, 07:13 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share

gonefishin
07-29-2023, 10:10 AM
Dave, sorry you are leaving the National's - I thoroughly enjoyed each of your threads and read them twice - looked at the pictures several times.

Thanks for taking the time to share with everyone - great job!

DodgerMike22
07-29-2023, 09:44 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. Also thanks for all the great photos. Lots of very good stuff!