PDA

View Full Version : Sad News -- Mark Jordan of Heritage

Rich Klein
07-11-2023, 07:56 PM
This is posted on Jimmy Spence's FB Page

Yet another sports memoribilia icon has passed.
Mark Jordan, consignment director at Heritage Auctions of Dallas, TX died at the age of 69.
Jordan was a pioneer dealer, show promoter and historian who operated a luxury suite in centerfield at the Ballpark in Arlington (Texas Rangers) during the 1990s. Mark told me that in southern Florida he ran the 4th ever baseball card show at the age of 13! It was Mark that introduced me to Bill Huggins, Jim Beckett, Wes Parker, David Wells, Greta and Dick Decourcy, Rich Russek, Mike Gutierrez, John Brigandi, Andy Imperato, Joe Esposito, Kit Young, Bob Schmerer, Lew Lipset, Kevin Isaacson and countless other hobby notables in my early professional career. I traveled and set up with Mark at numerous nationwide conventions, admired (and soaked up) his knowledge, attended All-Star and World Series games, dined in the finest restaurants alongside of him. I credit him for giving me a prominent start in the autograph industry. Over ten years ago, Mark suffered (as a passenger) paralyzing injuries in a road rage car accident after attending an evening gourmet food tasting event. Rest in peace, my friend.

Casey2296
07-11-2023, 08:13 PM
I didn't know him but when I read these posts I can't help but feel a loss for this hobby we love, Old School guys who have been in the hobby for so long with so much knowledge that only comes from years of experience, much of it lost unless chronicled in some way. I used to say this about WWII friends of mine. Appreciate them while they're still here.

RIP and God Bless.

Steve D
07-11-2023, 10:04 PM
I remember he was one of the more prominent autograph dealers back in the 1980s and 1990s. He was a good guy.

I send my condolences to his friends and family.

Steve

SyrNy1960
07-12-2023, 03:35 AM
Truly sad news 😢 In the 80’s and 90’s, I bought many autographed cards from him. Even had the pleasure of meeting him once back then in Dallas,TX. My deepest thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to his family, friends, and those he helped in the hobby!

roarfrom34
07-12-2023, 05:36 AM
Very sad.....I can recall seeing him at shows and getting his mailers in the 1990's

RIP

HexsHeroes
07-12-2023, 05:50 AM
Very sad indeed. Like many other vintage autograph collectors, I purchased several wants/needs from him at various 1990s National Shows. Very sad indeed.

Jay Wolt
07-12-2023, 06:01 AM
Sad news hearing this, Mark was a pioneer in the autograph field

mrreality68
07-12-2023, 06:13 AM
Prayers for his friends and family

Rest In Peace

Leon
07-12-2023, 06:55 AM
Mark was always nice to me in our few times we met. I know he had a great deal of hobby knowledge. May he RIP and condolences to family and friends.

sb1
07-12-2023, 08:30 AM
Great guy, bought from him when he was The Ballpark and always liked running into him at the shows over the decades. He had a booming personality and lived life to the fullest. Sadly, the automobile accident robbed him of many more great years before his death.

Programsrule
07-12-2023, 11:34 PM
Mark was fortunate to do what he loved all of his life as a sports journalist, promoter of memorabilia shows, auctions and collector. He found several of the rarest, most historical programs and scorecards in my collection over 60 years. Our friendship went back to 70’s when I was also a journalist in college. He gave it his all and enjoyed life to the fullest, which is all one can aspire to in any time period or circumstance. Tragically, Mark was victimized in an unforeseen car accident that resulted in severe health conditions the last several years of his life.
All who knew Mark learned that nothing can be assumed when it comes to safely walking in a neighborhood or driving a car or bicycle down a street. Mark was undeservedly the victim. As I watch the ESPY’s, I hear the “Don’t Give up, don’t ever give up” plea of former champion basketball coach Jim Valvano. Mark truly lived up to the Valvano warning.

The sports collecting industry and all who participate in it should always be inspired by the life of MARK JORDAN for his charitable introductions from
Collector to another and relentless pursuit of scarce collectibles, the soul of sport.

Hunter Kaplan,
Program/Scorecard Collector since 1958

marzoumanian
07-13-2023, 08:16 AM
That was a wonderful tribute, sir. Thanks for posting. Never knew the man BUT his contributions to the hobby are most admirable.Peace.

Hankphenom
07-15-2023, 05:58 PM
So sorry to hear about Mark, he really was one of the iconic figures in our hobby. Had nothing but good experiences with him on several occasions.

rjackson44
01-29-2024, 02:49 PM
Rip god bless

michael3322
01-29-2024, 03:05 PM
Very sorry to read about Mark’s passing. Sending his family heartfelt condolences. Rest in peace.

edhans
01-29-2024, 03:38 PM
Condolences to his family and the Heritage team.

Moonlight Graham
01-31-2024, 05:43 PM
Rest In Peace.

Al C.risafulli
01-31-2024, 08:31 PM
Condolences to the Heritage family for their loss, as well as to Mark's friends and family.

-Al

phil regli
02-22-2024, 06:50 PM
FYI I now own a program from mark Jordan 1970 baseball card show that he called the First national convention. He and Art Smith put it together.