PDA

View Full Version : Gehrig Bust Cosmo Sileo Photographs

danno561
05-03-2023, 11:50 AM
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on these vintage photographs of a Lou Gehrig bust. I acquired these as part of a group of photos from what I believe to be from Lou Gehrig‘s last game in 1939. The photographs coem with the Cosmo-Sileo stamp but I cannot find any details about the actual bust. Everyone that I come across has the cap on his head. Any ideas?

The last photograph was taken at Gehrig’s last game.

Snapolit1
05-03-2023, 12:01 PM
Is it the same as this one? Can't tell for sure. But no cap.

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-news/lou-gerhig-bust-originally-housed-at-yankee-stadium-being-displayed-at-werner-park-to-raise-als-awareness

Bust be critically aclaimed but I personally think it's an odd - almost idealized - depiction of Lou. Looks more like a religious figure. Maybe that's what the artist was going for.

danno561
05-03-2023, 12:17 PM
After reviewing the details (wrinkles in uniform, hair styling, etc.,) I am pretty sure that it is. I wonder if my photograph is from the mold before the bronze casting.

Snapolit1
05-03-2023, 03:05 PM
After reviewing the details (wrinkles in uniform, hair styling, etc.,) I am pretty sure that it is. I wonder if my photograph is from the mold before the bronze casting.

That would make sense.

mrreality68
05-04-2023, 04:34 AM
some amazing skill in the details