PDA

View Full Version : Consigning with Probstein?

becollie
04-28-2023, 08:27 AM
Any experiences here? Looking for consignment instructions and can't find anything online. Thanks

Snapolit1
04-28-2023, 08:48 AM
Been a bunch of posts on this.

Very little guidance on what to do. Some folks say he’s ok and easy to deal with, albeit with terrible communications. Others say never in a million years.

NYYFan63
04-28-2023, 09:35 AM
I have consigned with him in the past. I have created a list in Excel of the cards, grades, Cert # etc and included in the shipment. I also email him the Excel file listing the cards I have sent to him.

In the many cards I have consigned, only one took over a week for payment. The rest were paid within 2-3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philliesfan
04-28-2023, 10:25 AM
I consigned two graded cards with him. I used a 3x5 index card with my name address and phone number taped to the back. They were up for auction within a day or two of receipt. The communication is not good as I had to check the tracking number as to when they were received. I received a check about two weeks later with no explanation as the what the breakdown of sale prince and commissions etc were. Just a check in the mail. So, poor communication but I would not hesitate consigning again.
thanks,
Bob

philliesfan
04-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Now that I see this post, I think I will get a few more things to send him.
Bob

becollie
04-28-2023, 10:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Sending about $5000 in T206s and must admit that is a bit nerve-wracking. Love the page views they get but what recourse do we really have if something goes awry. Hmmm.

Thanks again,

Brian

philliesfan
04-28-2023, 12:29 PM
If you are worried, just send a few cards or maybe just $500 to $1,000 worth.
Bob

BRoberts
04-28-2023, 02:21 PM
Or if you're worried, maybe spread your cards around. 25 percent to Probstein, 25 percent to PWCC, 25 percent to Goodwin, the rest to Mastro.

bobbyw8469
04-28-2023, 03:13 PM
Or if you're worried, maybe spread your cards around. 25 percent to Probstein, 25 percent to PWCC, 25 percent to Goodwin, the rest to Mastro.

Not sure Goodwin and Mastro are still around....

mrreality68
04-28-2023, 03:14 PM

Wow

That would help us all sleep easier at night.

h2oya311
04-28-2023, 04:11 PM
I’m pretty sure Bill’s post was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Peter_Spaeth
04-28-2023, 04:15 PM
If you want a very viable and worry free alternative PM me for a recommendation..

BRoberts
04-28-2023, 05:04 PM
Not sure Goodwin and Mastro are still around....

Thanks. Lol.

Snowman
04-28-2023, 07:28 PM

Probstein is a standup guy. You can trash PWCC all you want, I don't have an opinion on them one way or the other, but I'm going to push back when I hear people trashing Rick Probstein. If you think he's shill bidding cards, you're an idiot.

The Detroit Collector
04-30-2023, 07:33 PM
yes, I cosigned with probstein 2 months ago for the first time. it went very well. If you are interested in the process or any specifics let me know

icurnmedic
04-30-2023, 07:59 PM
Sending Probstein Several T206 this week. I always just make a list of the cards. Include them with my name and contact information and never had a problem.

lug-nut
04-30-2023, 10:25 PM
Horrible. Like mentioned, has the worst communication skills ever as a seller. Hope he's a better consignor.

3-2-count
04-30-2023, 11:16 PM
Lee w/ Sterling Auctions for what it sounds like you have would be a great option as well.

Rhotchkiss
05-01-2023, 03:51 AM
Lee w/ Sterling Auctions for what it sounds like you have would be a great option as well.

+1. Lee/Sterling are great

parkplace33
05-01-2023, 04:30 AM
Rick gets the views, people pay up. Go for it.

Andrew1975
05-01-2023, 09:45 AM
I have consigned cards to Probstein several times with no issues. Last time (earlier this year), I received an email to confirm receipt of the package I had sent containing the cards. I also received daily emails where, through a link, the status of each item being auctioned could be viewed. At the conclusion of the auctions, I received a spreadsheet in which each item was broken down to show sales price, rate and net price. Payment via check was received quickly. Just my experience...

lug-nut
05-01-2023, 09:59 AM
I have consigned cards to Probstein several times with no issues. Last time (earlier this year), I received an email to confirm receipt of the package I had sent containing the cards. I also received daily emails where, through a link, the status of each item being auctioned could be viewed. At the conclusion of the auctions, I received a spreadsheet in which each item was broken down to show sales price, rate and net price. Payment via check was received quickly. Just my experience...

Glad you had a good experience with him as a consignor and he probably takes that more seriously than when customer who it complaining about something already sold.

becollie
05-01-2023, 11:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the perspectives and to those who reached out with helpful advice or offering their auction services. I decided to consign this first batch with REA for the upcoming Encore auction. Have always been impressed from the buy side... where I always feel like I am overpaying ;-) ... so figured I would give them a shot.

But as many point out, we are certainly lucky in that there are no shortage of great options to choose from.

Andrew1975
05-03-2023, 06:30 PM
Glad you had a good experience with him as a consignor and he probably takes that more seriously than when customer who it complaining about something already sold.

Lack of website, forms etc. is definitely a “unique” way for a business of that size to operate. Combine that with inconsistent communication (depending on the situation) and it isn’t surprising that there are such varying experiences. I’m shipping off a small consignment later this week… fingers crossed lol.

Bubbyjoe
05-03-2023, 10:04 PM
Consigned over 500 vintage graded commons and it took nearly a month to get the money I was owed. Had list of everything and contact info. Communication was awful.

Yoda
05-04-2023, 09:50 AM
Lack of website, forms etc. is definitely a “unique” way for a business of that size to operate. Combine that with inconsistent communication (depending on the situation) and it isn’t surprising that there are such varying experiences. I’m shipping off a small consignment later this week… fingers crossed lol.

After several years of buying from Rick with no problems, I now have situation with him whereby I bought a nice 1960 PSA 6.5 Mays in mid April which showed no tracking but an estimated arrival date, now passed. The matter is now with the Ebay Resolution Team who assure me the card is covered by their authentication guarantee. We will see how this is resolved.