PDA

View Full Version : For HOF collectors… George and Harry Wright, playing days items?

Belfast1933
01-06-2023, 08:39 AM
I know there are quite a few of us here whose PC journey is to have one playing days “card” for every HOFer.

I’d love to hear some suggestions and ideas about how we might fill the George and Harry Wright from the 19th century Cincinnati and Boston teams.

I am guessing they have no “cards” per se (or anything affordable/available) but what are others doing for these Pioneer Players?

I have recently seen some sheet music and photos from Harpers Weekly Magazine with some cool team pictures with both Harry and George

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thx all!

Jeff

bcbgcbrcb
01-06-2023, 12:32 PM
Hi Jeff:

Harry is the easier of the two as he has an N172 Old Judge card, which of course would be very pricey but certainly not a 1/1 or 1/2 or 1/3 like some of their other CDV or cabinet cards. The Peck & Snyder Cincinnati team CDV is probably the best and most efficient way to get both at the same time. Period woodcuts are also an option with Harper’s Weekly Cincinnati team being by far the most common. George has an individual woodcut from New York Clipper.

BobC
01-06-2023, 02:51 PM
Hi Jeff:

Harry is the easier of the two as he has an N172 Old Judge card, which of course would be very pricey but certainly not a 1/1 or 1/2 or 1/3 like some of their other CDV or cabinet cards. The Peck & Snyder Cincinnati team CDV is probably the best and most efficient way to get both at the same time. Period woodcuts are also an option with Harper’s Weekly Cincinnati team being by far the most common. George has an individual woodcut from New York Clipper.

+1 with what Phil said about the Harper's woodcuts. Anything from that long ago is always going to be very rare to start with, but A Harper's woodcut is going to be maybe unbelievably more affordable than a period cabinet, CDV, or any other type of available image of either of the brothers from back then.

I picked up a 7/3/1869 Harper's Weekly woodcut of the Cincinnati Red Stockings team, which includes images of both Harry and George, a while ago. Knew I'd never likely be able to afford, let alone ever find for sale, an 1869 Peck & Snyder card of the team, so grabbed one of these Harper's woodcuts instead. The attached image is not of my woodcut, just a different copy of the exact same woodcut I do own. I believe George is standing in the back, second from the left, and Harry is sitting, right in the middle. It also depicts the very first ever all-professional baseball team, which ended their season 57-0. So, the team/image itself has a lot of historical significance and meaning, aside from just showing pictures of Geroge and Harry. Good luck with your quest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Red_Stockings#/media/File:1869HarpersWeeklyBaseballRedStockings.jpg

Belfast1933
01-07-2023, 07:43 AM
Hi Jeff:

Thx for the info - can you tell me what a CDV is? And also, what is a Woodcut? (I have seen the Peck and Snyder team cards - super cool, but I assume these are “not into lifetime” expensive or rarely available, right?)

FYI - I just bought a cool, original full Harpers newspaper on eBay from 1869 that has the Red Stockings team picture sketched in.

Will be a fun display piece in my HOF collection -

Jeff

BobC
01-07-2023, 08:36 PM
Thx for the info - can you tell me what a CDV is? And also, what is a Woodcut? (I have seen the Peck and Snyder team cards - super cool, but I assume these are “not into lifetime” expensive or rarely available, right?)

FYI - I just bought a cool, original full Harpers newspaper on eBay from 1869 that has the Red Stockings team picture sketched in.

Will be a fun display piece in my HOF collection -

Jeff

CDV stands for a Carte de visite type of photo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_de_visite

The term Woodcut refers to a woodcut print, and/or the process used to create the image that is then printed in books, magazines, etc. It is typically how they created the type of Red Stockings team image you mentioned getting in the 1869 Harper's Weekly you got. By the way, what is the date of the Harper's Weekly edition you got? The one I have, and the image in the /earlier link I posted, are from the same 7/3/1869 Harper's Weekly edition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodcut

Belfast1933
01-08-2023, 07:52 AM
CDV stands for a Carte de visite type of photo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_de_visite

The term Woodcut refers to a woodcut print, and/or the process used to create the image that is then printed in books, magazines, etc. It is typically how they created the type of Red Stockings team image you mentioned getting in the 1869 Harper's Weekly you got. By the way, what is the date of the Harper's Weekly edition you got? The one I have, and the image in the /earlier link I posted, are from the same 7/3/1869 Harper's Weekly edition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodcut

Thx for the info… always find so many knowledgeable collectors here who are willing to share their knowledge.

Yes, looks like we now have same Harpers edition (is it considered a magazine or a newspaper?)

Once I receive it, now I need to think about how to display it - suggestions welcomed!)

BobC
01-08-2023, 10:46 AM
Thx for the info… always find so many knowledgeable collectors here who are willing to share their knowledge.

Yes, looks like we now have same Harpers edition (is it considered a magazine or a newspaper?)

Once I receive it, now I need to think about how to display it - suggestions welcomed!)

To be clear, I don't have a copy of the entire Harper's edition, or even the entire page, just the image of the Red Stockings team on the top of the one page. Having the entire edition/page is great, IMO.

And as to it being a newspaper or magazine, that is a good question. I'm guessing it is kind of like a weekly magazine that is printed on what we commonly call and consider newspaper.

As for presentation purposes, I would think about possibly framing the entire page with the Red Stockings team image on the top. You could think about cutting the team image off and just framing and displaying it by itself, but I've always been against cutting and taking apart such old/historical items as a Harper's Weekly.

And can't really tell from the image you posted, but is the Red Stockings team image in that Harper's Weekly you're getting colored? Apparently, some of those team images were colored, like the same woodcut image that I posted a link to earlier. Either way, a cool and historical image, and to me, an affordable way to get the playing career images of the Wright brothers you wanted.

Schwertfeger1007
01-09-2023, 04:14 PM
Every thread needs a card.

N173 Old Judge Cabinet of Mr. Harry Wright.

paul
01-09-2023, 07:07 PM
That's an awesome Harry Wright card!