PDA

View Full Version : BST etiquette

Flintboy
12-31-2022, 04:06 PM
Had a card for sale with a listed price. A member asked for more detailed information on the condition of the card. I respond a short time later and the member asks if I will take “X” for it. When I log back in I get a message from another member stating he will take the card at full ask. I message the member stating the card sold at full ask.

The member gets a little upset stating that since he “was in negotiations for the card” I should have given him the chance to purchase it at the full ask.

I don’t understand that since it was listed with a price and he could have stated at any time I’ll take it at the asking price. If you wanted the card that bad pony up the extra $20 and just take it.

How does the majority see this? I’m sure it happens on occasion and I always try to do the right thing. I guess in the future I’ll have to phrase all my auctions like another member here with “I’ll take it trumps all other negotiations”. I thought that would be understandable but I guess not.

BobbyStrawberry
12-31-2022, 04:09 PM
Had a card for sale with a listed price. A member asked for more detailed information on the condition of the card. I respond a short time later and the member asks if I will take “X” for it. When I log back in I get a message from another member stating he will take the card at full ask. I message the member stating the card sold at full ask.

The member gets a little upset stating that since he “was in negotiations for the card” I should have given him the chance to purchase it at the full ask.

I don’t understand that since it was listed with a price and he could have stated at any time I’ll take it at the asking price. If you wanted the card that bad pony up the extra $20 and just take it.

How does the majority see this? I’m sure it happens on occasion and I always try to do the right thing. I guess in the future I’ll have to phrase all my auctions like another member here with “I’ll take it trumps all other negotiations”. I thought that would be understandable but I guess not.

Personally I agree with the other party that you should have given them the chance to buy at full price before selling to the next person. IMO adding that phrase is the way to go in the future.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
12-31-2022, 04:15 PM
It's your card; you can sell it to whomever you want for how much you want at any time you want. If the guy was trying to save three cents and somebody came in and paid full price, tough luck for him.

CobbSpikedMe
12-31-2022, 04:18 PM
I've been in this situation before, where I had an offer for a lower price and then someone offered full asking price later. I told the second party that I had to offer it at full asking price to the first party and if they turned it down then I would sell to the second party. That was just what I thought was fair at the time.

I also get the caveat that "I'll take it trumps all ongoing negotiations" statement and in that case would sell to the first person offering full price regardless of whether someone else was asking for a better deal. But I don't typically put that in my sales ads here.

G1911
12-31-2022, 04:24 PM
There’s no deal until both have agreed to a deal. If someone offers the full ask while someone else is still trying to negotiate, there is nothing wrong at all with taking the full offer. Anyone who is upset that while trying to negotiate a lower price someone else bought the item at list should be quickly blocked.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
12-31-2022, 04:28 PM
There’s no deal until both have agreed to a deal. If someone offers the full ask while someone else is still trying to negotiate, there is nothing wrong at all with taking the full offer. Anyone who is upset that while trying to negotiate a lower price someone else bought the item at list should be quickly blocked.

Perhaps not blocked, although that's up to the seller, but nobody should really be sore over this situation when somebody else was fine to quickly pay the full price. It's just sour grapes on the part of Customer #1 because they lost out to Customer #2's willingness to seal the deal.

Kris19
12-31-2022, 04:30 PM
In my opinion, the member making a less than full ask offer should not be upset. Consider eBay items listed as BIN with Make an Offer. An item can have multiple offers, but if someone buys it for full ask, that’s it.

bnorth
12-31-2022, 04:34 PM

You done the correct thing. One person took the chance at trying to negotiate and it didn't work out this time.

There should be no hard feelings by anyone.

Lucas00
12-31-2022, 04:38 PM
He lost out. I've made several offers on items that were taken minutes later. Even after negotiating in pms to a deal. It was my fault and my risk making an offer. Nothing was done wrong in this situation at all.

Luke
12-31-2022, 04:41 PM
He's 100% wrong. First person to say that they will pay the list price gets to buy it. It's very simple. It's a learning experience for the guy. Don't make offers if you'd be bummed if someone claims it while you are trying to get a discount. I definitely learned that one a few times when I was new. If you'd be sad if you missed out on it, just pay the list price.

mrreality68
12-31-2022, 04:54 PM
He's 100% wrong. First person to say that they will pay the list price gets to buy it. It's very simple. It's a learning experience for the guy. Don't make offers if you'd be bummed if someone claims it while you are trying to get a discount. I definitely learned that one a few times when I was new. If you'd be sad if you missed out on it, just pay the list price.

+1 agree the rule of First one that says they take does trump all negotiations

Fred
12-31-2022, 05:05 PM
Perhaps statements like the following would clarify things: "anyone willing to pay the full asking price will trump any negotiations in progress".

However, if you already agreed to a negotiated price then that would be poor form to go back on your word for a higher offer.

If I'm in the middle of a negotiation and the seller says someone is going to pay full price, then I'd understand if the seller stops the negotiation and sells the card to someone willing to pay full price. And, I wouldn't turn around and tell the seller I'd be willing to pay full price because someone else was interested in it. That would just seem wrong. If I wanted it that bad, then I'd just pony up the cash right away.

jiw98
12-31-2022, 05:21 PM
I agree that "I'll take it" trumps all negotiations. It should be a unwritten rule for all BST postings. JMO

JollyElm
12-31-2022, 05:45 PM
To the OP, put yourself in the shoes of the guy who feels he got gipped. How would you feel if you were him in this scenario? If you yourself wouldn't have been upset with how it played out, then you did the right thing. If you would've been mad and felt cheated, then give it some thought as to how you can avoid the situation in the future. That's all that matters for next time, not random opinions from the rest of us.

Tyruscobb
12-31-2022, 05:53 PM
The seller shouldn't have to circle back and give the first offeror the right of refusal. I'll take it trumps negotiations.

Peter_Spaeth
12-31-2022, 06:06 PM
you did nothing wrong. Indeed, had you gone back to the first buyer, the second one would have cause to be upset, because he would have been the first to accept the deal but lost out.

ejharrington
12-31-2022, 06:10 PM
You're in the right. No question.

Fred
12-31-2022, 06:11 PM
For clarification - did you and the potential buyer agree on a discounted price, or was the negotiation in progress?

If there was no agreement on any price, then (just my humble opinion) nothing wrong with the way this ended.

doug.goodman
12-31-2022, 06:26 PM
The seller shouldn't have to circle back and give the first offeror the right of refusal. I'll take it trumps negotiations.

I agree 100%.

It's like making an offer on ebay, making an offer does not put the item 'on hold', if somebody else hits the buy-it-now while you are 'negotiating' with the seller, then you lose the item.

dmats33312
12-31-2022, 06:50 PM
Card is available until it is sold. Pretty much anywhere I've seen the "I'll take it" trumps any negotiations because until some agrees to take it the buyer isn't obligated until terms are accepted either. A guarantee always trumps a possibility. That's the risk of negotiating.

Flintboy
12-31-2022, 06:55 PM
For clarification - did you and the potential buyer agree on a discounted price, or was the negotiation in progress?

If there was no agreement on any price, then (just my humble opinion) nothing wrong with the way this ended.

The negotiation was in process. When I logged back in I had two messages. One from the member returning my message on the detailed condition asking if I would take “X” and a new message from another member stating he would take it at full ask.

CobbSpikedMe
12-31-2022, 07:10 PM
The negotiation was in process. When I logged back in I had two messages. One from the member returning my message on the detailed condition asking if I would take “X” and a new message from another member stating he would take it at full ask.

In this scenario I agree that the buyer offering full price gets it. It doesn't sound like an actual negotiation was even started yet. I would've sold to the guy offering full price.

In my scenario I had been talking to the guy who made an offer and I gave him first refusal when I was later offered full price. Both parties were fine with this by the way.

BobbyStrawberry
12-31-2022, 07:14 PM
In this scenario I agree that the buyer offering full price gets it. It doesn't sound like an actual negotiation was even started yet. I would've sold to the guy offering full price.

In my scenario I had been talking to the guy who made an offer and I gave him first refusal when I was later offered full price. Both parties were fine with this by the way.

+1 Agreed

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-31-2022, 07:17 PM
Many people actually add "I'll take it supersedes any ongoing negotiations" to their listings to address this situation ahead of time. That being said, I see no problem with accepting a better offer whenever you want.

Fred
12-31-2022, 07:21 PM
No agreement on price during the negotiation - sounds like the card was still up for sale.

Not sure why the potential buyer would have been upset at you because you didn't offer it up at the full asking price. He was probably just mad at himself.

BearBailey
12-31-2022, 07:31 PM
You are in the right.

Bcwcardz
12-31-2022, 07:36 PM
You were correct in my opinion. You want an item just say you’ll take it. Why risk losing a full price sale? You got the first guy jerking around asking questions and not wanting to pay full ask. I’m not saying that isn’t ok but you run a risk of losing an item. Who knows if he was even serious? The “negotiator “ has no reason to be upset. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbyw8469
12-31-2022, 07:43 PM
It's your card; you can sell it to whomever you want for how much you want at any time you want. If the guy was trying to save three cents and somebody came in and paid full price, tough luck for him.

This!!!!!!!!!! His loss.

Carter08
12-31-2022, 07:44 PM
Anyone who tries to negotiate — nothing wrong with that — takes the risk that someone else will come along and sweep it up for full price.

Eric72
12-31-2022, 07:52 PM
you did nothing wrong. Indeed, had you gone back to the first buyer, the second one would have cause to be upset, because he would have been the first to accept the deal but lost out.

+1

Casey2296
12-31-2022, 07:55 PM
Along with the disclaimer in the listing it is also helpful if members state their intention in the body of the listing as opposed to just sending a pm.
"I'll take it" means it's sold imo, if I want the card I'll post a "back up" and send a pm. "PM sent" without the I'll take it tells me they are negotiating and I would feel okay sending a full price offer pm.

x2drich2000
12-31-2022, 09:04 PM
Along with the disclaimer in the listing it is also helpful if members state their intention in the body of the listing as opposed to just sending a pm.
"I'll take it" means it's sold imo, if I want the card I'll post a "back up" and send a pm. "PM sent" without the I'll take it tells me they are negotiating and I would feel okay sending a full price offer pm.

Yup, more than once I've followed someone elses a "PM sent" post with a private I'll take it if still available at full price message. Until a deal is done and confirmed, all options are open to the seller.

Where I think items can get a bit trickier are when 2 people say they'll take it for the same price before a deal is confirmed. Should you always have to sell to the first person? What if the first person is someone you dont trust/is antagonistic and the second is a good friend? I know there have been a couple board members I would have declined selling items to even if they were the only buyer and offered more than my asking price.

Gorditadogg
12-31-2022, 09:12 PM
I have bought a bunch of cards on BST and the rules have been pretty consistent. You can negotiate as hard as you want, but if someone offers full price, the deal is done

I've lost deals like where I was negotiating when an "I'll take it" post comes in, I understand how that feels, but I also believe it's the right way to do it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

G1911
12-31-2022, 09:14 PM
Yup, more than once I've followed someone elses a "PM sent" post with a private I'll take it if still available at full price message. Until a deal is done and confirmed, all options are open to the seller.

Where I think items can get a bit trickier are when 2 people say they'll take it for the same price before a deal is confirmed. Should you always have to sell to the first person? What if the first person is someone you dont trust/is antagonistic and the second is a good friend? I know there have been a couple board members I would have declined selling items to even if they were the only buyer and offered more than my asking price.

This is why I include a line that I reserve the right to decline to do business with anyone for any reason. There are a couple nutters with personal vendettas and/or threaten to sue over cognizance of facts they don’t like that I’m not dumb enough to enter a deal with. If you get a “take it” from an individual it is not safe to do business with, one should not feel compelled to let them buy it. Way too much risk.

If a random person says they’ll take it before a friend does, I’d honor the randoms earlier offer.

Tabe
12-31-2022, 09:16 PM
If all that had happened was an offer to which you hadn't even responded, then offer guy has no complaint. If there had been any back & forth then, yeah, you owe him a chance.

Oneofthree67
12-31-2022, 09:21 PM
Would all your answers change if the buyer had done current & previous business in the past with the seller?

Leon
12-31-2022, 09:27 PM
This is why I include a line that I reserve the right to decline to do business with anyone for any reason. There are a couple nutters with personal vendettas and/or threaten to sue over cognizance of facts they don’t like that I’m not dumb enough to enter a deal with. If you get a “take it” from an individual it is not safe to do business with, one should not feel compelled to let them buy it. Way too much risk.

If a random person says they’ll take it before a friend does, I’d honor the randoms earlier offer.

You can write whatever you want to. A seller can sell, or not sell, to whomever they want to. Cry me a river. Life isn't fair!

G1911
12-31-2022, 09:39 PM
Would all your answers change if the buyer had done current & previous business in the past with the seller?

No

G1911
12-31-2022, 09:39 PM
You can write whatever you want to. A seller can sell, or not sell, to whomever they want to. Cry me a river. Life isn't fair!

Exactly.

hcv123
01-01-2023, 08:04 AM
Unwritten rule - "I'll take it trumps negotiations"

Some clarify by writing it, but the rule is implied even if not stated.

The above applies unless or until there is direct communication to the contrary.

For the buyer who missed it - If you want something that bad - then try saying "I'll take it" and am willing to pay your full ask, but wonder if you would be willing to knock a few bucks (X$) off. Sometimes you will be paying full ask, but I suspect sometimes you will get it for a few $$ less.

No. Why would/should it?

Yankees1964
01-01-2023, 09:17 AM
You are 100% in the right. Every card I list I always put in "sold takes it over any negotiations". I have also lost on cards when I was trying to negotiate and someone came in and paid full price. That is how it goes, you do not owe the person that made the offer a "right of first refusal" when someone else meets your price.

NiceDocter
01-01-2023, 09:29 AM
I had a very excellent interaction with a board member (and I will use his name because he deserves high praise for the way he handled it).... Derek Granger... he was selling some cards a few years ago and said "make offer" ..... I asked him to name his price for 2 of the cards, and he did.... I attempted to get a lower number, but was notified by him that he did not want to go lower and actually had just received an offer for about 20% MORE that he would take if I didnt want to do the deal. I DID accept and was very impressed with his integrity in honoring a price stated despite having a better offer as a back up. This is not the standard but he gets the GOLD STAR for the entire interaction. Id be willing to bet that he has lived his life with integrity and that deal from a few years back has stayed with me as a constant reminder to try and live in the same fashion. Way to go Derek.... by the way I still have the cards and enjoy them very much..... thanks again! Rocky Rockwell

parkplace33
01-01-2023, 09:52 AM
He was being cheap, the other buyer was not. Case closed.

Johnny630
01-01-2023, 09:55 AM
Don’t let that bother you. It’s your card sell it how and to whom you’d like.

UKCardGuy
01-01-2023, 12:40 PM
He lost out. I've made several offers on items that were taken minutes later. Even after negotiating in pms to a deal. It was my fault and my risk making an offer. Nothing was done wrong in this situation at all.

100% agree with this. When you make an offer you run the risk that someone will beat you to it. As a buyer, its a choice we make...risk a negotiation or pay a higher price

drcy
01-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Some people negotiate to the end of time, and some people negotiate without the intention of buying. An ongoing negotiation means the person hasn't even agreed that he will ever purchase it. I've chosen not to sell a card to someone simply because I was tired of their endless counter offers. "Sorry, the card's no long for sale."

The seller did nothing wrong.

The wrong would be if the seller agreed to sell it at a lower negotiated price then backed out.

If there's a sell price and you're trying to get it lower, you have to realize that you're taking the risk that someone will come along and take it at the full price. The BIN example was a good example.

Also, as someone pointed out, if it's not an auction, a seller can sell a card to whomever he wants at any price at any time.

Flintboy
01-01-2023, 02:01 PM
If all that had happened was an offer to which you hadn't even responded, then offer guy has no complaint. If there had been any back & forth then, yeah, you owe him a chance.

I had not responded, I logged back in and had two messages. One stating from a new member he would take the card at full ask. Another from the member I had been in negotiations asking if I would take “X”. The negotiating member was not very happy, stated “he was in negotiations and we’ve done deals before I should have asked him to take the card at full ask”.

Why would I ask someone to buy my cards at full ask? Seems very backward to me.

I appreciate all the responses. I’ll put a disclaimer in my future posts that “I’ll take it trumps all negotiations”

esehombre
01-01-2023, 02:32 PM
This is the way it is done - Perhaps this should be a sticky thread in order to avoid any emotional distress

babraham
01-01-2023, 02:48 PM
I had not responded, I logged back in and had two messages. One stating from a new member he would take the card at full ask. Another from the member I had been in negotiations asking if I would take “X”. The negotiating member was not very happy, stated “he was in negotiations and we’ve done deals before I should have asked him to take the card at full ask”.

I side with you and have also had this happen to me selling on the BST.
It's not sold until you both agree to the price! :)

Mark17
01-01-2023, 04:36 PM
The OP did the right thing. One guy wanted to chat, the other wanted to buy.

robertsmithnocure
01-01-2023, 05:41 PM
When you make an offer you run the risk that someone will beat you to it. As a buyer, its a choice we make...risk a negotiation or pay a higher price

I also agree with this. It just seems like common sense to me.

doug.goodman
01-01-2023, 06:47 PM
This is the way it is done - Perhaps this should be a sticky thread in order to avoid any emotional distress

Or maybe it SHOULDN'T be a sticky thread to CAUSE 'emotional distress', which some might consider to be 'learning a lesson'.

Doug 'I travel with emotional support baseball cards' Goodman