PDA

View Full Version : Barry Sloate says hello

Fred
12-28-2022, 06:57 PM
Barry Sloate says hello and to let everyone know he's still kicking!

I miss reading his posts about baseball memorabilia and cards.

edjs
12-28-2022, 07:02 PM
I, too, miss Barry’s input, comments, and observations.

Eric72
12-28-2022, 07:07 PM
Great to hear!

ullmandds
12-28-2022, 07:09 PM
hey barry!!!

Leon
12-28-2022, 07:54 PM
Barry was one of my favorite guys on the forum. Hey Barry!

Seven
12-28-2022, 08:15 PM
For the uninitiated, Who is Barry?

Regardless I'm glad to hear he is doing well. Always love some positive news!

Fred
12-28-2022, 08:27 PM
Barry was part of this community for a long time. He used to have his own auctions "Barry Sloate Auctions" that had nice material. I still have several of his old auction catalogs. Great person with so much hobby knowledge, especially the pioneering days of baseball.

If he starts posting again, it'll be nice to see/read. It's been a few years now.

Vintagecatcher
12-28-2022, 08:31 PM
Happy Holidays Barry!

Hope all is well!

Patrick

Aaron Seefeldt
12-28-2022, 08:36 PM
Hi Barry,
I hope you are well and enjoying the holidays. Your knowledge/input is missed!
I saw those 2 beautiful Mort Rogers scorecards in REA recently and they took me back to the good old days when you were with Jerry…

Regards,
Aaron Seefeldt

FrankWakefield
12-28-2022, 09:16 PM
Barry! I hope the New Year is good to you.

You are truly missed by those of us who shared space here with you.

From time to time, when a thread gets a bit raucous, I recognize that as a moment when Barry would wade into the mess and calm us down. Thank you for binging civility and good common sense to Net54.

brianp-beme
12-28-2022, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Barry pop up on here again...his was a voice of reason and knowledge. Some of the first T206 cards I ever ordered by mail were from Barry. Not to mention him being a top notch spelling monitor and grammartarian (perhaps this made up word will provoke him to once again poke in his head, post, and rummage about the joint).

Brian

Eric72
12-28-2022, 11:39 PM
…grammartarian (perhaps this made up word…

Brian

The word is, “grammarian.”

:cool:

(my tribute to Barry, made with the hope that he will soon return)

rjackson44
12-29-2022, 06:03 AM
Hobby icon

darwinbulldog
12-29-2022, 06:16 AM
Legend. Glad he's doing well.

Ben Yourg
12-29-2022, 08:14 AM
A real gentleman.

Scott L.
12-29-2022, 08:18 AM
A wonderful man. I miss him a lot here.

jingram058
12-29-2022, 08:35 AM
Hope he comes back.

Also hope the Bocabirdman comes back as well.

Snapolit1
12-29-2022, 08:53 AM
Guess there is some story here known by many, not by me, which would explain why a legendary great collector seems to monitor the board from afar, occasionally dispatching someone to send greetings to all. A bit peculiar but, like I said, must be a story.

bnorth
12-29-2022, 09:14 AM
Guess there is some story here known by many, not by me, which would explain why a legendary great collector seems to monitor the board from afar, commenting only on LOTG auctions and occasionally dispatching someone to send greetings to all. A bit peculiar but, like I said, must be a story.

He posted this.
https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273539

Snapolit1
12-29-2022, 09:31 AM
Well that explains that.

Leon has done a good job keeping politics off the front page. Are a few political type discussions on the water cooler page, one I started with a decidely non-political post.

But thanklfully the front page has been politics free. We all know people who can't go 3 minutes without interjecting politics into almost any subject area imaginable. Depressing but it's a nice easy way of determining quickly who you don't need to be around very much.

Yoda
12-29-2022, 09:40 AM
Barry, come back to us. Never before has the hobby needed informed, experienced opinions than now. Things have gotten a little crazy out there since you left the Board, or perhaps you have noticed.

Pat R
12-29-2022, 09:48 AM
Guess there is some story here known by many, not by me, which would explain why a legendary great collector seems to monitor the board from afar, commenting only on LOTG auctions and occasionally dispatching someone to send greetings to all. A bit peculiar but, like I said, must be a story.

Steve, I think you have Barry Arnold mixed up with Barry Sloate.

Snapolit1
12-29-2022, 09:52 AM

Ah, you are corrrect. I will fix. Thanks.

Peter_Spaeth
12-29-2022, 10:20 AM

I do wish Barry Arnold had not essentially stopped posting, he was one of the most intelligent and reasonable voices here.

theuclakid
12-29-2022, 10:28 AM
hello Barry, good to hear you are fine, I had wondered....Pat and I retired to the coast in 2020 and are loving it...please say hello to Judy and take care

Bruce Perry

Peter_Spaeth
12-29-2022, 10:36 AM
Why do people think he is reading this thread?

Send Message User Lists
Last Activity: 12-29-2019 04:48 PM

rebelsart
12-29-2022, 10:36 AM
Wishing Barry Sloate all the best! I used to purchase many T206 cards from him in the past. It seems like only yesterday lol.

Fred
12-29-2022, 10:50 AM
Guess there is some story here known by many, not by me, which would explain why a legendary great collector seems to monitor the board from afar, occasionally dispatching someone to send greetings to all. A bit peculiar but, like I said, must be a story.

I send holiday greetings to Barry because I really like and respect his opinions, points of view and hobby knowledge. Always a voice of reason (as indicated by others).

There was no "dispatch" of a greeting. It was a friendly request to say hello to the board and let everyone knows he's still kicking. I'm guessing he doesn't monitor the board from afar. Really, nothing peculiar about it, at all.

I can't speak for Barry, but he probably just got tired of all the BS that goes on in different parts of the forum. This place can get a bit crazy.

nolemmings
12-29-2022, 10:51 AM
Wishing you the best for 2023, Mr. Sloate. I join others who miss your hobby knowledge being shared here.

RCMcKenzie
12-29-2022, 11:00 AM
Happy New Year, Barry. I would guess 90% or more of the people that read the board don't post, and more than half have never even signed up.

CTDean
12-29-2022, 11:42 AM
Best wishes Barry. I lurked here for a good many years just to read your post.

brian1961
12-29-2022, 12:34 PM
Hello back to you, Barry. I miss your fine posts, sir. You're "a Rock of Gibraltar" to this hobby, and we need you more than ever. I've tried hard to keep politics off my posts--honest. To be sure, you are as the old E. F. Hutton commercials---when you speak, we listen!:)

So many of the chaps here seem to enjoy good stories of the past; at least, so they've responded upon hearing same. Should you decide to favor us with an anecdote, I for one would be grateful.

Thanks again for your small, but meaningful contribution to my book regarding 53/55 Stahl-Meyer Franks. It is sharing like that which illuminates an old trading card, transforming it from a "so what" or "who cares" to a "oh, so that's a XXXXX----I've heard they're pretty fascinating."

Think of it this way, Barry. If you consider re-joining us, there will always be some contemptible characters in the mix. However, your presence would have a way of connoting, "Yeah, Net54 has some gloomy Guses, but then we got people like Barry Sloate that makes me marvel over his kazillion tales of hobby lore, and knowledge of some very scarce sets. I wouldn't miss them for anything!"

My friend, thanks for reaching out, and whether or not you decide to come back to the forum, thanks for the memories." Respect to you. Happy new year, sir. --- Brian Powell

sbfinley
12-29-2022, 12:37 PM

Send Message User Lists

You can read 90% of the board without logging in. I only log in to check the B/S/T and occasionally post.

Peter_Spaeth
12-29-2022, 12:51 PM
You can read 90% of the board without logging in. I only log in to check the B/S/T and occasionally post.

Fair, but I would still bet Barry isn't reading all these heartfelt messages to him. :confused:

ullmandds
12-29-2022, 03:45 PM

Send Message User Lists

Barry's...everywhere!

DaveW
12-29-2022, 04:05 PM
I too miss Barry’s posts. I can’t believe we have had 35 posts and nobody has mentioned Seinfeld. I remember Barry for correcting poor grammar and for enjoying some good Seinfeld references as well as his knowledge of cards and baseball reference books.

sgbernard
12-29-2022, 04:14 PM
Barry was definitely one of the reasons to be on this forum back in the day. His auction was tops, he somehow always found really interesting stuff. I'm glad to hear he's well.

oldjudge
12-29-2022, 06:15 PM
I miss Judy; Barry eh 🤣

judsonhamlin
12-29-2022, 07:29 PM
I feel like Barry was my hobby godfather - got me involved with VCBC back in the day and introduced me to this forum 15+ years ago. Also a gracious host. Cheers to you and Judy.

MVSNYC
12-29-2022, 11:40 PM
Miss chatting with Barry. Glad to hear he's well...We had some great group dinners (for members who have only been here a few years, do a search for some of our epic "NYC Dinner" threads :)). Me, Barry, Judson, Robert, Jay, Joe, Wonka, Lichtman, Scott, Hank, Dar, etc. Those were some fun times!

oldjudge
12-30-2022, 01:53 AM
I still remember than dinner at Spark’s—that was incredible.

2dueces
12-30-2022, 05:57 AM
Purchased my first T206’s from Barry years ago. Hope this finds him well

tedzan
12-30-2022, 06:49 AM
I first met Barry in 1983. He ran an adv. in SCD selling 1949 BOWMAN cards. I acquired the Richie Ashburn rookie card from him.

In 1984 Barry sold me this T206 Lundgren (Cubs) with the EPDG back. This card started my interest (obsession) in collecting rare
T206's. We have enjoyed a long friendship over the years wheeling-n-dealing BB cards of all sorts.

Barry's wife, Judy, and my wife, Charlotte, are like close Irish sisters.

https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/LundgrenCubsEPDGx25_1.jpg . https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/LundgrenCubsEPDGx25b_1.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference ( http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

Yoda
12-30-2022, 08:54 AM
Hey Barry, if you have gotten wind of this post, just check it out. Should make you feel proud. Is that Pizza joint we took repast a couple of times when I visited you in Brooklyn still open? They served a great slice.

Leon
12-30-2022, 08:59 AM
I remember staying with Barry for a few days, years ago. The first day we went to have a lunch I had no idea that refills on tea cost more; they don't in Texas. I think my tea bill was like $15 LOL...

Eric72
12-30-2022, 09:38 AM
Every thread needs a card.

Den*nis O*Brien
12-30-2022, 11:36 AM
...in being happy to hear that Barry is OK !! Truly a gentleman extraordinaire in our hobby. He was always willing to share his extensive knowledge. And his auctions were special. I also have "Archived" some of his set sale and auction catalogs. They were not huge but full of special items from cover to cover. I want to say ..Thank You Barry for my T205 Brown, T206 Lundgren Chicago and all the other items that I treasure ! And that MINT Boston Bees scorecard......
Sincerely, Dennis

Kawika
12-30-2022, 11:51 AM
The Board had a very different mix of characters back in the day. Some wonderful folks have drifted away, passed on or otherwise vanished without a trace. Hope you're doing well, Barry, and that old age and its complications aren't being too harsh.
Every thread needs a card. . . or two.

The Sloate rookie card

doug.goodman
12-30-2022, 12:09 PM
Wow, what Sloate rookie is amazing on so many levels.

I don't know Barry, but I sure do miss his posts.

Doug

Bpm0014
12-30-2022, 09:15 PM
I hope he’s doing well. But if he wanted to say hi why couldn’t he just come on here and say hi? :confused:

Bpm0014
12-30-2022, 09:21 PM
I hope he’s doing well. But if he wanted to say hi why couldn’t he just come on here and say hi? :confused:

barrysloate
12-31-2022, 12:04 PM
Hi everyone,

It’s been a very long time but I am humbled by all the good wishes. Fred told me he would start this thread and I figured maybe two or three people would say hello. But I didn’t expect this.

No, I don’t post anymore but I do think about the board and wonder how everyone is doing. I no longer collect baseball but I am grateful for the long career I had collecting, buying and selling, and the years I had running auctions. It was great fun but it’s not something I currently do. I do avidly collect vinyl and have added many great albums to my rock and jazz collection. That’s another hobby that is growing in leaps and bounds. It’s really been a lot of fun.

Anyway, wishing all a happy and healthy new year. And thank you again for the kindness.

Eric72
12-31-2022, 12:33 PM
Hi everyone,

It’s been a very long time but I am humbled by all the good wishes. Fred told me he would start this thread and I figured maybe two or three people would say hello. But I didn’t expect this.

No, I don’t post anymore but I do think about the board and wonder how everyone is doing. I no longer collect baseball but I am grateful for the long career I had collecting, buying and selling, and the years I had running auctions. It was great fun but it’s not something I currently do. I do avidly collect vinyl and have added many great albums to my rock and jazz collection. That’s another hobby that is growing in leaps and bounds. It’s really been a lot of fun.

Anyway, wishing all a happy and healthy new year. And thank you again for the kindness.

Happy New Year, Barry. May 2023 bring peace, joy, and prosperity to you and yours.

autograf
12-31-2022, 12:50 PM
Barry! Great to see you here if ever so briefly. 2-3 years ago my wife and girls and I went to NYC for spring break. Barry and his wife hooked up with us at the Metropolitan Museum and walked around with us for an hour or so. It was great to finally meet him after seeing him post here and having bought cards from him so many years ago. Glad to see he's doing well.......we will be contacting you on our next NYC visit!

brianp-beme
12-31-2022, 12:54 PM
Welcome back Barry...don't be a stranger on here.

And now the title of the thread is literally correct.

Brian

Baseball Rarities
12-31-2022, 01:39 PM
Hi Barry! Hope that you are doing well. It has been a long time.