PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Miracle - My first (and only) collector "find"

Smarti5051
12-27-2022, 03:57 PM
About 15 minutes ago, I was joking with my Mother in Law about the Babe Ruth M-105 auction and suggesting they could replace my Christmas gift if they wanted to get it. She asked how much it cost and I gave her an estimate. She then asked, "how much is a signed baseball of Mickey Mantle go for?" I asked why, and she told me the story of how she was friends with Mickey Mantle's cousin Luke, and one day he brought in two baseballs signed by Mickey Mantle. One says "Bill, Best Wishes. Mickey Mantle" and the other said "Will, Best Wishes. Mickey Mantle" (my BIL and FIL). I asked if she still had them and she said yeah, they were upstairs in the cabinet somewhere. She goes upstairs, pulls out this old Maxwell blank cassette box, and inside are two signed baseballs embedded in some tissue paper. The beautiful thing is they have lived in that box in the closet and were never exposed to light for the past 50+ years, so the ink has not faded at all. Not quite a mint condition 52 Topps Mantle, but not a bad find that was discovered by accident.

batsballsbases
12-27-2022, 04:05 PM
About 15 minutes ago, I was joking with my Mother in Law about the Babe Ruth M-105 auction and suggesting they could replace my Christmas gift if they wanted to get it. She asked how much it cost and I gave her an estimate. She then asked, "how much is a signed baseball of Mickey Mantle go for?" I asked why, and she told me the story of how she was friends with Mickey Mantle's cousin Luke, and one day he brought in two baseballs signed by Mickey Mantle. One says "Bill, Best Wishes. Mickey Mantle" and the other said "Will, Best Wishes. Mickey Mantle" (my BIL and FIL). I asked if she still had them and she said yeah, they were upstairs in the cabinet somewhere. She goes upstairs, pulls out this old Maxwell blank cassette box, and inside are two signed baseballs embedded in some tissue paper. The beautiful thing is they have lived in that box in the closet and were never exposed to light for the past 50+ years, so the ink has not faded at all. Not quite a mint condition 52 Topps Mantle, but not a bad find that was discovered by accident.

Nice Mother in law! Enjoy Them!

BobC
12-27-2022, 04:12 PM
Nice Mother in law! Enjoy Them!

Congrats, great find. And also keeping it "in the family". Happy New Year.

Shoeless Moe
12-27-2022, 07:05 PM
If you could post a pix or 2, would love to see them.

todeen
12-27-2022, 09:09 PM
congrats - very cool. my father didn't collect. But he told me I have a cousin who stole his Atlanta Braves pennant signed by Hank Aaron he got in person while stationed at Fort Benning.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

ooo-ribay
12-27-2022, 09:27 PM
Awesome story but it’s too bad your name is Scott. :p

Smarti5051
12-27-2022, 09:50 PM
If you could post a pix or 2, would love to see them.

I will try and figure out how to post pictures tomorrow morning. Assuming I take them with iPhone, what is the easiest way to get them to show up in this thread? I can add them to a Flikr acct, but not sure what to do from there. Thanks

Vintagedeputy
12-27-2022, 11:06 PM
I will try and figure out how to post pictures tomorrow morning. Assuming I take them with iPhone, what is the easiest way to get them to show up in this thread? I can add them to a Flikr acct, but not sure what to do from there. Thanks

Use the “manage attachments” button when posting and add the photos there.

Smarti5051
12-28-2022, 04:06 PM
First ttempt to get photo up.

Smarti5051
12-28-2022, 04:09 PM
Second picture.

Joecoco
12-28-2022, 04:20 PM
Wow. Those are clean! Beautiful.

rand1com
12-28-2022, 04:33 PM
The "To Will" is really nice. "To Bill" a little less so but still a nice find of Mantle autograph baseballs.

ooo-ribay
12-28-2022, 04:42 PM
Those are great.

Question for the experts: if someone wanted to, is there any way to completely erase a personalization?

Smarti5051
12-28-2022, 04:58 PM
As an added bonus, my FIL has a great color picture from 1968 with a picture of my Grandfather-in-Law and Willie Mays showing off pheasants they shot on my Grandfather-in-Law's ranch in Central California.

mrreality68
12-30-2022, 07:10 AM
Those are awesome and I wish I was that lucky some time.

My luck would be a fake lol