PDA

View Full Version : My Boston Store Collins McCarthy Dilemma

JamesGallo
12-15-2022, 01:55 PM
Some of you that have been around a while have seen me posting about the Boston Store set I have been trying to build for nearly 15 years. I fell into a group of 61 cards and decided to build the set but I had no idea at the time what an undertaking it would be. These backs are far rarer then the standard Collins McCarthy backs by roughly a 2-1 margin.

So after all this time I have finally managed to only need 8 cards

71-Heilmainn
95-Lavan
134-Pip
142-Ruth
163-Smith
173 C Thomas
179-Witt
194-Wood

Now this is where the problem begins, there are a couple of the needed cards on ebay but they are way over priced. That aside the Ruth card is the issue at hand as there are far less BS Ruth's then Collins McCarthy. I have not seen a Boston Store Ruth on the market ever, in addition the value of this card has gone wacky so the couple low grade CM examples that have turned up in the last year have gone for between 40K-95K.

SO my issue here is only in part cost of the card but there is NO availability so back the the Dilemma.

The Last Huggins & Scott Auction had a group of 112 Collins McCarthy cards as well as a Ruth so I thought why not cross over to the CM backs it would make completing the set easier and cheaper to some degree and the Ruth is here. After taking a look at the card and thinking on it, I decided not to bid on the miscut Ruth card but still proceed to buy the group of 112 card lot.

SO, now I have a nearly complete mid grade Boston Store set and over half a Collins McCarthy set.

Completing the Boston Store set may just not ever be possible both because of no Ruth cards and the cost of it if one came to market. Even if one turned up I could only afford a lower grade example similar to the recent CM examples (I think the lowest graded known are a 2 or so).

Or I can sell the Boston Store Set and build the Collins set or I can sell it all and buy something else like rebuilding my Cracker Jack Set.

Sorry if this is a bit disjointed but I wanted to get some thoughts and of course if anyone has any of the Boston Store Cards I need do let me know as I may have a Collins back to trade or other trade options (or will buy it outright). I just hate to get stalled with a card that just may never be available and at least with the Collin set it would be possible to complete.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

James G

hcv123
12-15-2022, 02:50 PM
I should start by saying I am a very patient/persistent collector/person. I am also a fan of tough sets like the Boston store cards.

If it were me, I would -

1) Definitely continue the collection of the Boston Store cards accepting that it is going to be painfully slow going from here on out.

2) Consider filling the holes in the Boston Store set with the CM cards till I got the BS examples and sell off the rest or

3) If I liked "actively" collecting, perhaps build the CM set to give me something to actively work on.

Could always modify the above based on when the "right" Ruth appears - whichever one that is for you.

Rhotchkiss
12-15-2022, 03:02 PM
I agree with Howard. I would full the BS holes with CMs (or Standard Biscuit, not that its easier). At least that way you can complete the 1917 set on front and stay open to getting the balance in BS.

BTW, I own this. Its one of my favorite cards. It cost me an arm and a leg, but I could be convinced to sell it for two arms, one leg, and a head!

Brian Van Horn
12-15-2022, 03:35 PM
In some of the cases you might want to consider Holsum Bread.

mrreality68
12-15-2022, 05:31 PM
I agree with the idea of first complete the frontal run of all players than replace /upgrade with the Boston Store Ad back.

Either way great set and great collecting

ValKehl
12-15-2022, 05:39 PM
James, I say "in for a penny, in for a pound." Now that you have substantial collections of both BS and CM cards, I suggest you not only work on completing both sets, but also start collecting the other 1917 sets (:)), such as:

brianp-beme
12-15-2022, 08:31 PM
In some of the cases you might want to consider Holsum Bread.

With the difference in font, I would think the Holsum Bread (font similar to E121) would look out of place alongside all the Boston Store (E135 type font) cards.

Brian

ullmandds
12-15-2022, 08:48 PM
i remember many years ago a boston store ruth...raw on ebay...I tried to get my dad to go halfsies on it with me...he had no interest. I can't remember what it sold for...maybe 20K? It was nice!

JamesGallo
12-15-2022, 08:52 PM
I agree with Howard. I would full the BS holes with CMs (or Standard Biscuit, not that its easier). At least that way you can complete the 1917 set on front and stay open to getting the balance in BS.

BTW, I own this. Its one of my favorite cards. It cost me an arm and a leg, but I could be convinced to sell it for two arms, one leg, and a head!

Truly an amazing card there and probably not one i could chase which adds to the problem as anyone thar has this card loves this cards and you have an amazing example.

I have a few blank backs and a Holsum as well just prefer to have a matching set which doesnt seem possible now or anytime in the future 😔

James G

FrankWakefield
12-16-2022, 07:23 AM
The strategy of completing the fronts, and then swapping in Boston Store cards sounds sensible.

A factor would be where you are in the collecting chronology; will you be collecting in 15 years? Are you getting close to gradually selling??

Stay the course... where did we hear that? If you sell off the Boston Store cards as a bunch, within a few months you'll see a Ruth sell at auction for what you consider a good price for you. And you'll regret selling those cards.

'tis a dilemma, wish you well with it.

Leon
12-16-2022, 08:03 AM

How about trading it for my house?

steve B
12-16-2022, 08:38 AM
Pretty much all prewar sets I've had to realize that because of money and/or lack of focus I'll never complete them.

Getting into a niche in a different hobby has gotten me way more comfortable with that, the niche, despite being in a very mature hobby is sort of like card collecting decades ago, only a rudimentary "checklist" and even after way over 100 years there are still new discoveries. In a way, while "completing the set" according to the catalog may sort of be possible* it actually isn't.

So having a very good collection is about the best anyone can do. Yes, there are those occasional "superstar" items I won't ever be able to get because of the cost.

I've always been a very slow collector because I collect most sets. Some far more actively than others. I've been "working" on the 76 topps set since... 76. Added a few more back in November. Of course I could just buy the few I need, but where's the fun in that?

I'd say if you can afford to, keep both, and add as they come up. As others have said, adding to the Boston Store ones when you can, and maybe expanding into related brands if you need to have a bit of action in adding cards.

The catalog lists varieties that in one case haven't been seen since the 1930's and might be a different thing misunderstood, and in a couple others, varieties that are unknown today and the source for the listing is also unknown. Meanwhile there are common major varieties that aren't listed at all.... Making the "checklist" pretty much impossible to know if it's complete or not.
I have 3 potential candidates for two of the not seen in decades varieties, but need to find a second identical example to prove they aren't just random weirdnes.

JimC
12-16-2022, 08:44 AM
We don't need more Standard Biscuit collectors. We need fewer. In fact, you should sell me that Sam Rice. Does James even know about the Standard Biscuit curse?

James, I agree with Val. You should add Weil Baking.

In all seriousness, I can't imagine only needing a handful of BS cards to complete the set. I think you would regret parting with those. I'm sure it's an incredible collection to see. Keep going. Here are a couple from my small collection.

nolemmings
12-16-2022, 11:52 AM
James,

I agree with the idea of completing the fronts regardless of back, and then sub in the Boston Stores as they become available. Actually, this is the way I approach my m101 sets-- Ideally I want a complete set of 200 with all of the various ad backs represented, including any variations. Of course I face the same obstacle as you-- Babe Ruth-- who is likely even more expensive although at least available. It is almost a certainty that I too will never complete the set, but I'm not inclined to give up either. Hang in there!

I am a little different than you in that I hoard the cards with various backs-- I have a half dozen or so of several players. So if you're thinking about collecting both Boston Store and the CM sets, watch out that you don't get too caught up in that fool's errand like me.

I once started the Boston Store set around the turn of the century, but gave up and sold the 15-20 or so I had, leaving just this lone example-- the very first one I bought (raw):
https://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/prewar/various/huge/17bsterry.jpg

Rhotchkiss
12-16-2022, 01:16 PM
How about trading it for my house?

Its a fair offer. However, I have several of those and dont need more duplicates!

Jason White
01-14-2023, 07:12 PM
I have a set of 16 standard biscuit baseball cards, including a graded Hans Wagner. I still need to grade 12 more cards. I plan on selling them. Feel free to message me if you are interested.

mrreality68
01-14-2023, 08:39 PM
I have a set of 16 standard biscuit baseball cards, including a graded Hans Wagner. I still need to grade 12 more cards. I plan on selling them. Feel free to message me if you are interested.

Very nice Standard Biscuits

Kawika
01-15-2023, 01:22 AM
I hope you do not abandon your Boston Store endeavour. You've already come so far. I can offer you Wally Pipp and get you closer. Don't want any body parts but a couple of 1909 Obaks off my want list would be sweet.

https://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/sportscardsetc/baseball/holygrailcards/large/1917%20BS%20Wally%20Pipp.jpg

I'll send better scans when I get a minute. The card is more black-and-white in hand and the dark shmutzy shadows are much less pronounced. The back is clean.

Wally Pipp was in the Yankee line-up at an old timers' game I attended in 1959. I get a kick out of telling folks I saw him play.

Rhotchkiss
01-15-2023, 08:30 AM
I agree with David, hoping you don’t give up the attempt on the standard biscuit set. Here is a 1916 Biscuit

mrreality68
01-15-2023, 09:10 AM
Very nice cards and love those standard biscuits