PDA

View Full Version : SGC-Incredible Turnaround Time!!!

Moonlight Graham
10-03-2022, 10:29 AM
I know there have been other threads about SGC and their great customer service, but listen to this: I sent three cards to them on Monday 9-26. SGC received them on Thursday 9-29. Graded them on Thursday 9-29. And shipped them on Friday 9-30. The cards are being delivered today 10-3! Now that's pretty incredible, right? And that was at the 30 dollar level!!

Joe Kemmett

bobbyw8469
10-03-2022, 12:10 PM
I had the same experience. They graded my cards the next day.

scooter729
10-03-2022, 01:44 PM
Good for those who are sending cards in for grading, but is it a bad sign for SGC that they don't have much business these days? Did they staff up too much, and no longer have the demand?

Scott S@r!@n

ClementeFanOh
10-03-2022, 01:50 PM
Moonlight- that’s incredible, happy for you. Imagine that, a TPG doing what they promise to do:) Trent King

BobbyStrawberry
10-03-2022, 01:54 PM
This seems to be the norm for them for some time now... I have a stack of cards I would send them, but I'm waiting for a price drop on standard service. (That has to be coming soon, right?)

bobbyw8469
10-03-2022, 02:38 PM
This seems to be the norm for them for some time now... I have a stack of cards I would send them, but I'm waiting for a price drop on standard service. (That has to be coming soon, right?)

Same.....right now there is ZERO benefit for me to use them. PSA has cheaper pricing just as a normal member.

Lorewalker
10-03-2022, 02:57 PM
I have been quite critical of SGC's grading...PSA's as well. I recently saw a friends semi large vintage submission come back from SGC. It was all lower to mid grade cards but grades appeared to be spot on. Also the order was processed and back in his hands within 10 calendar days with 4 of those days being in the postal system.

gabrinus
10-03-2022, 03:09 PM
That's a pleasant surprise...Jerry

ValKehl
10-03-2022, 08:00 PM
Inasmuch as SGC seems to barely have enough business to keep its expanded grading staff busy, I, too, expect to see a price decrease before long.

cammb
10-04-2022, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=scooter729;2269695]Good for those who are sending cards in for grading, but is it a bad sign for SGC that they don't have much business these days? Did they staff up too much, and no longer have the demand?

Scott S@r!@n[/QUOTE

No, unlike PSA they are doing the job they pledged to do

ClementeFanOh
10-05-2022, 05:25 AM
Cammb wins, that's the correct answer. Sad (but understandable) that so
many people have become jaded by bad business practices, that they
become suspicious of the good- Trent King

bobbyw8469
10-05-2022, 07:02 AM
Cammb wins, that's the correct answer. Sad (but understandable) that so
many people have become jaded by bad business practices, that they
become suspicious of the good- Trent King

What is the saying?? One bad apple spoils the bunch?

NATCARD
10-06-2022, 09:55 AM
SGC site states now that bulk orders fo 50+ cards are $18 per!

NATCARD
10-13-2022, 08:44 AM
Another amazing turnaround.
Sent 98 cards to them Last Friday (October 7th)
received on Monday, October 10th.
graded on the 12th and shipped back to me.
expected arrival tomorrow October 14th.
Service means a lot and being able to turn cards back into $$ this quick far outweighs the months the same cards would be at PSA never mind the inevitable upcharges and fact that the max values for the same priced tiers is significantly different.
Jeff Weisenberg

jbsports33
10-13-2022, 12:03 PM
Great to hear Jeff! will be sending some in soon, give them a little business!

see what happens, I hoping all grading prices are starting to change again - looks like PSA did as well!

Jimmy

jimmer77
10-21-2022, 04:44 PM
I sent a submission there on Monday 10/17, received by SGC on 10/20, graded and shipped 10/21... it's amazing

Oscar_Stanage
10-21-2022, 05:10 PM
another post about SGC turnaround times...
it baffles me why people think this is a good thing for the company.

Peter_Spaeth
10-21-2022, 05:56 PM
Same.....right now there is ZERO benefit for me to use them. PSA has cheaper pricing just as a normal member.

Then why did you use them, as you said in post 2, unless I am misunderstanding?

Peter_Spaeth
10-21-2022, 05:57 PM
Good for those who are sending cards in for grading, but is it a bad sign for SGC that they don't have much business these days? Did they staff up too much, and no longer have the demand?

Scott S@r!@n

Scott, you know better than to be rational on this subject around here. SGC IS THE BEST PERIOD PARAGRAPH.

ClementeFanOh
10-21-2022, 07:04 PM
PeterSpaeth- is it "rational" to type snide remarks in all caps? We get it,
you're a PSA lean. That's great for you, so long as the bottom doesn't fall out
of their (grotesquely undeserved) pole position status. It is rational, by the
way, to appreciate a TPG that actually delivers on their turnaround times.
Start an "I love PSA" thread if SGC bothers you so much, jeesh!

Trent King

Peter_Spaeth
10-21-2022, 07:15 PM
It's all good, Trent.:cool:

Lorewalker
10-21-2022, 07:26 PM
I sent a submission there on Monday 10/17, received by SGC on 10/20, graded and shipped 10/21... it's amazing

What would be amazing is if SGC maintains these turnaround times coupled with reasonable grading fees well into the future. My guess is that they are getting significantly fewer cards and have the same number of staff that they had at the peak.

If they are willing to work on lower margins, and they continue to offer reasonable grading fees with incredible turnaround times, fantastic. My hunch is that this is very temporary until they decide to lay off and cut overhead. What was once being done in a day will then be done in a month.

BobbyVCP
10-21-2022, 07:57 PM
Looks like the Card Craze has come to an end and back to normal...no more long waits and crazy prices, for grading at least

raulus
10-21-2022, 08:03 PM
What would be amazing is if SGC maintains these turnaround times coupled with reasonable grading fees well into the future. My guess is that they are getting significantly fewer cards and have the same number of staff that they had at the peak.

If they are willing to work on lower margins, and they continue to offer reasonable grading fees with incredible turnaround times, fantastic. My hunch is that this is very temporary until they decide to lay off and cut overhead. What was once being done in a day will then be done in a month.

Most of us PSA fanboys would be pretty ecstatic about 1 month turnaround time, particularly at the bulk service/price level.

Lorewalker
10-21-2022, 08:10 PM
Most of us PSA fanboys would be pretty ecstatic about 1 month turnaround time, particularly at the bulk service/price level.

I remember the days when bulk $5 or $6 per card would take up to a month and how frustrating it was when it took closer to 6 weeks. Now we can pay PSA $100 per card and wait at least a month to get it back. And most of us will do that well before we would pay SGC $18 to $24 per card for 1 week door to door service.

raulus
10-21-2022, 08:26 PM
I remember the days when bulk $5 or $6 per card would take up to a month and how frustrating it was when it took closer to 6 weeks. Now we can pay PSA $100 per card and wait at least a month to get it back. And most of us will do that well before we would pay SGC $18 to $24 per card for 1 week door to door service.

With any luck, all of this capacity that PSA has developed will chew through their backlog, and if submissions stay low, then they will have to lower their prices to keep all of those graders busy, with hopefully quicker turnaround to boot!

But right now, that seems more like wishful thinking more than a solid conviction.

Peter_Spaeth
10-21-2022, 08:36 PM
With any luck, all of this capacity that PSA has developed will chew through their backlog, and if submissions stay low, then they will have to lower their prices to keep all of those graders busy, with hopefully quicker turnaround to boot!

But right now, that seems more like wishful thinking more than a solid conviction.

Nobody is seriously threatening their very high market share. It seems to me the biggest risk to them is if overall market submissions drop, because prospectors change their minds about submitting endless volumes of new stuff.

raulus
10-21-2022, 08:46 PM
Nobody is seriously threatening their very high market share. It seems to me the biggest risk to them is if overall market submissions drop, because prospectors change their minds about submitting endless volumes of new stuff.

Precisely.

Peter_Spaeth
10-21-2022, 08:53 PM
Random ebay search.
PSA Jasson Dominguez 2300+
SGC Jasson Dominguez 243

PSA Mike Trout 16000+
SGC Mike Trout 1000_

Carry on.

Lorewalker
10-21-2022, 09:04 PM

My, admittedly cynical opinion, is that PSA and SGC lay off people to keep profits high before they maintain the overhead simply to provide us better turnaround times. Especially in PSA's case, they know we will wait 18 months to get cards back and the way we show how upset we are is to keep sending them more and more stuff.

Not sure how much lower prices can go at SGC but PSA could lower bulk rates but I doubt they will lower any other grading tiers. Maybe PSA will start to offer regular monthly specials for the high tiers as things continue to slow down.

Snowman
10-22-2022, 03:02 AM
I keep reading that PSA outsells SGC every time. Meanwhile, I keep crossing laughably undergraded PSA slabs into accurately graded SGC holders.

jimmer77
10-22-2022, 07:07 AM
I will continue to use both SGC and PSA, as I have subs at both companies right now, but have been leaning towards PSA for higher end cards and SGC for some niche cards that I like in their holders better than PS, but if SGC pricing came down and they had a registry then I may come back to SGC for all subs or if PSA came down in price and kept their current turn times then I don't know...my problem I don't have a loyalty and just sub to whoever I am in the mood for on the day I get my sub together...for example if I have something I want back fast then SGC if not then PSA...I guess just wishy washy alas Charlie Brown

Leon
10-22-2022, 07:11 AM
I keep reading that PSA outsells SGC every time. Meanwhile, I keep crossing laughably undergraded PSA slabs into accurately graded SGC holders.

Or one is more lenient than the other.

cgjackson222
10-22-2022, 07:40 AM

That's one way to look at it. But when you compare cards in old PSA holders to new ones, the difference is striking. Seems like PSA has become stricter by about 2 grades, some times even more.

When I look at SGC cards that were graded a decade ago, yes SGC has gotten slightly more strict, but overall seems a lot more consistent over time than PSA.

I think this relative consistency by SGC is a good thing.

Snowman
10-22-2022, 04:54 PM
That's one way to look at it. But when you compare cards in old PSA holders to new ones, the difference is striking. Seems like PSA has become stricter by about 2 grades, some times even more.

When I look at SGC cards that were graded a decade ago, yes SGC has gotten slightly more strict, but overall seems a lot more consistent over time than PSA.

I think this relative consistency by SGC is a good thing.

Exactly this. It's not an issue of SGC being more lenient than PSA. It's an issue of competency at PSA with their 100+ newly hired inexperienced graders. These guys simply don't know how to grade vintage. PSA grades are wildly inconsistent. It's a HUGE problem. They truly are off by a full 2 grades these days on a ton of cards, and reliably off by at least one full grade. SGC has tightened up a little bit compared to prior industry standards, as you mentioned, but many of the grades coming out of PSA right now are facepalm worthy. I would argue that consistency is the single most important aspect of the grading industry behind the ability to spot a fake.

Peter_Spaeth
10-22-2022, 05:10 PM
Exactly this. It's not an issue of SGC being more lenient than PSA. It's an issue of competency at PSA with their 100+ newly hired inexperienced graders. These guys simply don't know how to grade vintage. PSA grades are wildly inconsistent. It's a HUGE problem. They truly are off by a full 2 grades these days on a ton of cards, and reliably off by at least one full grade. SGC has tightened up a little bit compared to prior industry standards, as you mentioned, but many of the grades coming out of PSA right now are facepalm worthy. I would argue that consistency is the single most important aspect of the grading industry behind the ability to spot a fake.

This one was a mystery to me but PSA just confirmed the grade.

Lorewalker
10-22-2022, 05:17 PM

Absolutely agree that PSA is a wreck in the grading room. Too many graders. SGC on higher grade vintage is not doing much better from what I am seeing unless they are cards in submissions from the major auction houses.

I do not like what I am seeing coming from either of them on NM or better vintage. They both are failing miserably at their job. PSA might have more inexperienced graders but SGC is a very close second. Couple that with dudes seeing mostly modern stuff and you have a recipe for nice vintage getting crushed.

Snowman
10-23-2022, 12:26 AM
Absolutely agree that PSA is a wreck in the grading room. Too many graders. SGC on higher grade vintage is not doing much better from what I am seeing unless they are cards in submissions from the major auction houses.

I do not like what I am seeing coming from either of them on NM or better vintage. They both are failing miserably at their job. PSA might have more inexperienced graders but SGC is a very close second. Couple that with dudes seeing mostly modern stuff and you have a recipe for nice vintage getting crushed.

Ya, SGC is grading the NM+ stuff pretty harshly as well right now. But they're more fair with the mid grade stuff, which is what I mainly collect. I don't like VG cards, but I sure have been buying a lot of PSA 3 holders lately. I just crack them out the moment they arrive and laugh at the grade. Then SGC gives them 4s and 5s every time. It's pretty funny honestly.

Snowman
10-23-2022, 12:30 AM

Sending a card in to PSA for review is generally not a good idea. They have a serious problem with hubris. Unless there's some significant surface flaw that we can't see from the scans, there's just no way that card is a 4. It should be a 6 at minumum today, and if graded 10+ years ago, the same card would be in an 8 or 9 holder. They're such a joke. It baffles my mind that the hobby awards them the level of respect that they have.

Leon
10-23-2022, 06:52 AM

Is there a surface wrinkle on the front, in the red border, below the name Santarosa'?

Peter_Spaeth
10-23-2022, 09:11 AM
Is there a surface wrinkle on the front, in the red border, below the name Santarosa'?

I don't think so?

Lorewalker
10-23-2022, 11:16 AM
Sending a card in to PSA for review is generally not a good idea. They have a serious problem with hubris. Unless there's some significant surface flaw that we can't see from the scans, there's just no way that card is a 4. It should be a 6 at minumum today, and if graded 10+ years ago, the same card would be in an 8 or 9 holder. They're such a joke. It baffles my mind that the hobby awards them the level of respect that they have.

Agreed. Having PSA review something they have already graded expecting a change in the grade is dreaming.

The example above is not a good one to truly showcase the harsh grading. That issue is literally newsprint. Super thin and prone to small bends/crinkles/wrinkles. Most graded examples look like 9s or 10s and are in 4s and 5s due to those imperfections that do not even break the surfaces. The one posted above has to have several of those bends.

Peter_Spaeth
10-23-2022, 03:23 PM

Thanks. I looked at it closely and so did a friend who's been doing this for 30 years and neither of us saw anything.

Lorewalker
10-23-2022, 05:17 PM
As I was saying...and confirmed by the first seller of this card back in March 2021:

"Spectacular copy of the assigned grade. Possessing large red borders with four dagger corners and sensational surfaces. A lone, very light wrinkle on the reverse is all that keeps from grading higher. A steal for the assigned grade. One of over 36,000 cards, lots and sets up for bid in our March Auction of 2021. Click on the link above to view the other PWCC auction lots."

Never too late for an eye exam...especially the guy with 30 years in.

Peter_Spaeth
10-23-2022, 06:56 PM
Hmmmm. I must need an exam too, I sure don't see any wrinkle. So it goes I guess.

Lorewalker
10-23-2022, 07:14 PM
Easy to beat up the grading companies and often they deserve it. A 4 that looks like a 9 is always more than the grading service being tough.

Might want to get a new guy with less than 30 years in the hobby for opinions and advice.

steve B
10-24-2022, 10:22 AM
So just what is the "sweet spot " for experience?

Some complain that the graders are all new now, and don't know cards.
Then it's "get someone with less than 30 years of experience"

The same for potential conflicts
"cards should be graded by people who don't collect"
"Cards need to be graded by people who actually know something about cards."

Leon
10-24-2022, 10:58 AM
Easy to beat up the grading companies and often they deserve it. A 4 that looks like a 9 is always more than the grading service being tough.

Might want to get a new guy with less than 30 years in the hobby for opinions and advice.

Common sense tells me to always take the guy with 30 yrs experience over someone new, all other things being equal. As the original auction mentioned, there is a very light wrinkle somewhere.

BobC
10-24-2022, 12:13 PM
So just what is the "sweet spot " for experience?

Some complain that the graders are all new now, and don't know cards.
Then it's "get someone with less than 30 years of experience"

The same for potential conflicts
"cards should be graded by people who don't collect"
"Cards need to be graded by people who actually know something about cards."

Actually, it should be that cards aren't graded by anyone that has a vested interest, or any other real or perceived conflict of interest, in the cards they are grading. Whether they actually collect cards themselves doesn't really matter as long as the person doing the grading has a sufficient and appropriate level of training and/or experience.

And a grader doesn't necessarily need 30 years of experience if they've received the proper training and supervision. However, there seems to be a lack of transparency (or at least a lack of knowledge and understanding) for many people in regard to TPGs and as to exactly what training, instruction, and supervision their graders do receive. The common perception is often that someone with 30 years of experience has had enough "on-the-job" training, so to speak, to where they don't/didn't need any formal training and supervision. An appropriate blend of the two, training and experience, is what you'd ideally look for and want in any profession, including a card grader.

But even then, what exact training, instruction, and supervision did that grader receive, or what exactly did their 30 years of experience entail? With no common and agreed upon across-the-hobby standards, no independent review and certification of training programs being given, and absolutely no idea of exactly what a person's experience with cards may have been, there is no guarantee that someone that went through supposedly rigorous training, AND had years of experience collecting cards, would end up being a good card grader.

Snowman
10-24-2022, 02:39 PM
My observation is that attention to detail is far more important than experience when it comes to someone's ability to accurately grade cards. Some people are just much more detail-oriented than others. I've encountered no shortage of dealers with 30+ years in the hobby who think their VG cards are "Near Mint". I respect them and their experiences for some things, but grading often isn't one of them. That said, I'll take a detail-oriented dealer with 30 years of experience over a detail-oriented one with 5 every time.

Peter_Spaeth
10-24-2022, 02:55 PM
The card has come back with a note pointing to an alleged "bend" that my apparently vision-impaired friend says he does not see. A bend is not the same thing as a light wrinkle, IMO, so perhaps Brent and team need eye exams too. In any event, so it goes.

Lorewalker
10-24-2022, 08:53 PM
This issue is made of thin newsprint. A bend on this issue is a wrinkle/crease...it is semantics. If PWCC saw something and someone else (PSA presumably) placed a note on it then your friend might want to quit his day job. Dunno about you but I like the advice I seek served accurate.

Peter_Spaeth
10-24-2022, 09:17 PM
On a thin newsprint issue, if there was a bend or wrinkle, wouldn't it likely break the paper and be on both sides? PWCC's description mentions only the back, and the note from PSA was placed on the back as I should have mentioned if I did not.

raulus
10-24-2022, 09:25 PM
On a thin newsprint issue, if there was a bend or wrinkle, wouldn't it likely break the paper and be on both sides? PWCC's description mentions only the back, and the note from PSA was placed on the back as I should have mentioned if I did not.

Sure seems like it would be on both sides, unless it was the world’s lightest bend.

Peter_Spaeth
10-24-2022, 09:41 PM
Sure seems like it would be on both sides, unless it was the world’s lightest bend.

I guess there can be very very subtle wrinkles or paper defects. I remember many years ago I bought a Goudey card in a 4 that looked like a 7 from a guy who is now the head of a major auction house, and he said he had looked it over multiple times and had no idea why PSA had hammered it. I guess for me the question is, is whatever it is so subtle that another grading company might miss it, or wouldn't take off 4 grades for it with the card obviously so visually appealing, but that's probably a fool's game.

Lorewalker
10-24-2022, 10:05 PM
I guess there can be very very subtle wrinkles or paper defects. I remember many years ago I bought a Goudey card in a 4 that looked like a 7 from a guy who is now the head of a major auction house, and he said he had looked it over multiple times and had no idea why PSA had hammered it. I guess for me the question is, is whatever it is so subtle that another grading company might miss it, or wouldn't take off 4 grades for it with the card obviously so visually appealing, but that's probably a fool's game.

Once a card is in the holder it is much more difficult to find flaws, imo. If someone is not great at assessing raw cards they will be horrible assessing them once they are entombed.

I have never been lucky enough to have a TPG not take off a 4 grade deficit for a flaw on an otherwise immaculate card. With that said, no TPG is immune from seeing things that might not actually be there. Sometimes it is nothing more than interpretation of some anomaly.

Snowman
10-27-2022, 05:47 PM
PSA is just begging us to send our cards over to SGC now. Here's another recently graded facepalm "3" I got back from the noobs at PSA. Note there are no creases or wrinkles or hidden flaws or issues on the back, etc. This is not what a 3 looks like. This is what a 4.5 looks like. We're actually at a point now where putting a card in a PSA slab often lowers the value of the card as opposed to increasing it. This card would sell for a lot more raw than it would in this trainwreck of a holder. And they couldn't even bother to give it a 3.5 (let alone the 4.5 it deserves) despite the fact that it has great color and perfect centering in a set where less than 5% of cards are actually centered? LOL. :rolleyes:

There was once a time, not too long ago, where this card would have actually gotten a 5 or 5.5 from PSA. I'll send this off to SGC. Anyone want to place a wager on whether or not it comes back in a 4.5 holder then?

Peter_Spaeth
10-27-2022, 06:04 PM
I still have my old school grading biases, to me that card looks like a 5 easily.

Lorewalker
10-27-2022, 06:16 PM
PSA is just begging us to send our cards over to SGC now. Here's another recently graded facepalm "3" I got back from the noobs at PSA. Note there are no creases or wrinkles or hidden flaws or issues on the back, etc. This is not what a 3 looks like. This is what a 4.5 looks like. We're actually at a point now where putting a card in a PSA slab often lowers the value of the card as opposed to increasing it. This card would sell for a lot more raw than it would in this trainwreck of a holder. And they couldn't even bother to give it a 3.5 (let alone the 4.5 it deserves) despite the fact that it has great color and perfect centering in a set where less than 5% of cards are actually centered? LOL. :rolleyes:

There was once a time, not too long ago, where this card would have actually gotten a 5 or 5.5 from PSA. I'll send this off to SGC. Anyone want to place a wager on whether or not it comes back in a 4.5 holder then?

4.5 to me even on today's tighter standards, assuming no wrinkles or creases. I see some surface scratches but maybe that is the holder. Great looking card and selling it raw would go for much more than it would in the 3.

ValKehl
10-27-2022, 06:33 PM
Travis, what is the red "spot" on Jackie's shoulder?

Snowman
10-27-2022, 07:03 PM
No creases or wrinkles. A little bit of light surface wear and soft corners. That's it. No corner creases or bends. Top right corner is probably the biggest offender on this card. The red dot is just a print dot. No blood or anything like that lol.

Lorewalker
10-27-2022, 07:12 PM
No creases or wrinkles. A little bit of light surface wear and soft corners. That's it. No corner creases or bends. Top right corner is probably the biggest offender on this card. The red dot is just a print dot. No blood or anything like that lol.

Well you got the beat down and I am sorry. Until this example, and I trust your assessment entirely, I thought hammering the submitter only happened on vintage that is NM and above.

I am not sure what the solution is but for the last year I have been telling everyone not to submit unless you need to do so to sell and be prepared to be disappointed. I have a stack of cards in all conditions and all values that are part of my collection and no way I am wasting the money to send them in. Rather keep the 10K in grading fees in cash. 10K assumes they get it close to right on all of the cards the first time, which is 100% impossible.

Peter_Spaeth
10-27-2022, 07:20 PM
I remember way back in the day people on the CU Forum used to joke about getting hammered by the fictional "Grader of Death." I think the Grader of Death would be welcome in today's beat-down world.

bobbyw8469
10-27-2022, 07:47 PM
I would like to see the back of the Robinson. Just to give it a decent assessment. From what I see of the front though, it looks really nice and undergraded.

inceptus
11-01-2022, 05:14 PM
I have a two-card order with SGC that has been in post-grading processing since 10/20. I contacted them yesterday regarding status, and was told that someone would be in touch to "discuss" my order-- no word today.

Has anyone been through anything similar with SGC before? Wondering if my cards are lost/damaged, or if they're looking to upcharge, or...

jimmer77
11-01-2022, 06:48 PM
I had a similar situation with my latest sub, where one of my cards came back with a large crease on the back that was not there when subbed. The card was shipped securely, so confident it did t happen during the shipping process.
I emailed and got a response back immediately from Brent to send pics and order #, which I promptly sent and now a week later no response.
My original email was just asking to address with the grader so this doesn't happen in the future no refund etc., just accountability, so just wanted a follow up. Accidents happen and since the crease can't be taken back, just a friendly reminder to the grader to be more careful is all I wanted.

Pat R
11-02-2022, 11:55 AM
Rumor has it they're grading the orders so fast now that the postal truck delivering the orders to SGC is just waiting there to take them back to the post office after they are graded.

joshleon
11-02-2022, 01:04 PM
Random ebay search.
SGC Jasson Dominguez 243

PSA Mike Trout 16000+
SGC Mike Trout 1000_

Carry on.

I guess I know where I am sending my 2023s! Not sure what else this means.

Peter_Spaeth
11-02-2022, 04:40 PM
Rumor has it they're grading the orders so fast now that the postal truck delivering the orders to SGC is just waiting there to take them back to the post office after they are graded.

I heard they hired Chuck Norris, who grades and slabs the cards before they even get there.

Johnny630
11-03-2022, 09:48 AM
Maybe grading so fast because the volume is down and their labor force has increased. IDK

Some up to date October numbers.

raulus
11-03-2022, 11:56 AM
Maybe grading so fast because the volume is down and their labor force has increased. IDK

Some up to date October numbers.

Up 17%!!!

Jay Wolt
11-03-2022, 12:02 PM
What impresses me is that the newcomer CSG has more submissions then SGC & Beckett combined

Peter_Spaeth
11-03-2022, 12:12 PM
What impresses me is that the newcomer CSG has more submissions then SGC & Beckett combined

That relationship with Brent is paying off.

bnorth
11-03-2022, 12:19 PM

I didn't realize Beckett was that small. Have they lost a ton of business over the last few years? I know they used to be the king of modern cards.

inceptus
11-04-2022, 04:39 PM
In case anyone is curious, turns out that SGC accidentally creased an N172 Adonis Terry I had sent them, taking it from an SGC 3 to an SGC 1.

They offered to pay me what I thought was a a fair differential between a 3 and a 1, as well as adding some free grading vouchers.

They clearly felt awful, but things happen when you're dealing with old cardboard, so it's all good.

I have a two-card order with SGC that has been in post-grading processing since 10/20. I contacted them yesterday regarding status, and was told that someone would be in touch to "discuss" my order-- no word today.

Has anyone been through anything similar with SGC before? Wondering if my cards are lost/damaged, or if they're looking to upcharge, or...

bnorth
11-04-2022, 05:04 PM
In case anyone is curious, turns out that SGC accidentally creased an N172 Adonis Terry I had sent them, taking it from an SGC 3 to an SGC 1.

They offered to pay me what I thought was a a fair differential between a 3 and a 1, as well as adding some free grading vouchers.

They clearly felt awful, but things happen when you're dealing with old cardboard, so it's all good.

That sucks, glad it worked out in the end.:)

Peter_Spaeth
11-04-2022, 05:42 PM
I didn't realize Beckett was that small. Have they lost a ton of business over the last few years? I know they used to be the king of modern cards.

Down 18 percent just this one month. I think one can probably fairly extrapolate a big loss over the last few years.

BobC
11-04-2022, 06:41 PM
That relationship with Brent is paying off.

In a different post where someone had shown this same breakdown/info for an earlier month, I had asked what the two numbers that added up to CSG's total number of graded cards was, and thought I remember someone responded the first was for graded sports cards, and the second for other non-sports cards, like gaming cards. If true, it looks like CSG does a whole lot less sports card grading than they do non-sports cards. Now I don't know what the breakdown might be for SGC and Beckett between sports and non-sports, so is it possible that CSG actually still lags behind SGC (and possibly Beckett) after all when it comes to grading sports cards? And is PWCC really into and involved with non-sports cards? If not, and SGC (and possibly Beckett) really is outdoing CSG when it comes to grading sports cards, your statement may not be that accurate.

Also, is it known for certain that PWCC now only sends cards to be graded to CSG, and to no other TPGs at all? I don't go on their site and have no clue as to what they typically sell anymore, and if graded, which TPG(s) typically has/have graded cards being sold by them.

Peter_Spaeth
11-04-2022, 09:52 PM
Does PWCC offer grading services for raw cards?
PWCC partners with Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) to provide PWCC clients with prioritized professional grading through CCG’s Certified Guarantee Company (CGC) and Certified Sports Guarantee (CSG) services. CCG is the parent company of CGC and CSG. PWCC has negotiated faster turnaround times and lower fees for PWCC clients through CCG.

What are the advantages of using CCG through PWCC?
Flat fee. Only $20 per card regardless of value, genre, or category. The program currently includes only 2.5 x 3.5 sized cards. The $20 fee includes shipping costs from PWCC to CCG and back to PWCC for sale in the Weekly Sunday Auction.
No upfront costs. After your CCG encapsulated card sells in PWCC’s Weekly Sunday Auction, we will deduct the $20 fixed grading cost from your proceeds.
10-day guarantee. CCG will grade cards within 10 days of receiving them.
Unlimited submissions. Submit unlimited cards. PWCC strongly recommends you submit cards with at least a $100 value to ensure you maximize your profits. For example, if you submit a card that sells for $20, you will net $0 since you will pay $20 for the CCG grading process. If you submit cards that sell for less than $20, you will wind up with a negative balance. If we determine that the cards you submit will not cover the cost of grading when they sell, we reserve the right to return your submission to you without sending it for grading. Using the $100 per card estimate as a guide will help ensure a positive and worthwhile selling experience.
No paperwork. Forget the forms. PWCC will handle the entire process with CCG. You will only need to follow the submission process on PWCC’s website.
CCG to PWCC Weekly. CCG will send your cards directly to PWCC. PWCC will queue them for an upcoming Weekly Sunday Auction when they arrive. It is that simple.

Peter_Spaeth
11-04-2022, 09:55 PM
In a different post where someone had shown this same breakdown/info for an earlier month, I had asked what the two numbers that added up to CSG's total number of graded cards was, and thought I remember someone responded the first was for graded sports cards, and the second for other non-sports cards, like gaming cards. If true, it looks like CSG does a whole lot less sports card grading than they do non-sports cards. Now I don't know what the breakdown might be for SGC and Beckett between sports and non-sports, so is it possible that CSG actually still lags behind SGC (and possibly Beckett) after all when it comes to grading sports cards? And is PWCC really into and involved with non-sports cards? If not, and SGC (and possibly Beckett) really is outdoing CSG when it comes to grading sports cards, your statement may not be that accurate.

Also, is it known for certain that PWCC now only sends cards to be graded to CSG, and to no other TPGs at all? I don't go on their site and have no clue as to what they typically sell anymore, and if graded, which TPG(s) typically has/have graded cards being sold by them.

I think PWCC also has or had a deal with Beckett.

bobbyw8469
11-05-2022, 05:32 AM
I think PWCC also has or had a deal with Beckett.

I don't hear much about them since they got shown the door off Ebay. Are they still a force to be reckoned with?

raulus
11-05-2022, 10:37 AM
I don't hear much about them since they got shown the door off Ebay. Are they still a force to be reckoned with?

They still sell a lot on their own platform.

While there’s no statistics that I know of to evaluate whether they have waxed or waned in their volume and activity, my sense is that they have lost a bit of action since moving off of eBay. At the same time, they still seem to continue to do pretty brisk business on high end pieces through their monthly premier auction. And if you’re willing to put forth the effort to dig around every week, there are plenty of items on their weekly auction as well.

Not sure if that makes them a force to be reckoned with. But they’re definitely not nothing.

Frank A
11-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Random ebay search.
SGC Jasson Dominguez 243

PSA Mike Trout 16000+
SGC Mike Trout 1000_

Carry on.

You must come up with these sale prices in your dreams. There were no such comparisons on ebay. Try using your brain before posting dumb crap.

Peter_Spaeth
11-05-2022, 11:35 AM
You must come up with these sale prices in your dreams. There were no such comparisons on ebay. Try using your brain before posting dumb crap.

Use yours. These are obviously number of listings, not sale prices.

Lorewalker
11-05-2022, 05:12 PM

Just a wild guess but I would think that PWCC is still using SGC and PSA because they are a retail entity and their business model is to get the most they can for their listings. I am sure in both instances it is someone else submitting the material to SGC and PSA for them.

Whatever deal they have with CSG and Beckett is simply a service they are offering consignors. I know that SGC cards typically sell for a discount to a PSA counterpart so I would assume that CSG sells for a discount to SGC but I do not follow sales of CSG product so I could be entirely wrong.

BobC
11-05-2022, 05:52 PM
Just a wild guess but I would think that PWCC is still using SGC and PSA because they are a retail entity and their business model is to get the most they can for their listings. I am sure in both instances it is someone else submitting the material to SGC and PSA for them.

Whatever deal they have with CSG and Beckett is simply a service they are offering consignors. I know that SGC cards typically sell for a discount to a PSA counterpart so I would assume that CSG sells for a discount to SGC but I do not follow sales of CSG product so I could be entirely wrong.

Hey Chase,

Was sort of thinking the same thing, and why I posed the question. Never been on PWCC's site, so don't really know what they're selling the most of these days, and who's grading the bulk of it. Is it a proven fact though that PWCC does not submit cards to SGC and PSA directly, only through a third party? And if so, is that PWCC's choice, or is it because PSA and SGC refuse to take business from PWCC directly? I've never heard of any rumors that some TPGs would no longer accept PWCC submissions.

Gorditadogg
11-05-2022, 07:53 PM
You must come up with these sale prices in your dreams. There were no such comparisons on ebay. Try using your brain before posting dumb crap.This is funny! What a great self-own.

It reminds me of the old Gildna Radner skits.What is all the fuss about violins on TV?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Lorewalker
11-05-2022, 09:33 PM
Hey Chase,

Was sort of thinking the same thing, and why I posed the question. Never been on PWCC's site, so don't really know what they're selling the most of these days, and who's grading the bulk of it. Is it a proven fact though that PWCC does not submit cards to SGC and PSA directly, only through a third party? And if so, is that PWCC's choice, or is it because PSA and SGC refuse to take business from PWCC directly? I've never heard of any rumors that some TPGs would no longer accept PWCC submissions.

Hi Bob,

I had heard or read that PSA and SGC cut ties with PWCC but if someone told me I was mistaken I would not be shocked. Seems reasonable enough to me that they would want to distance themselves from PWCC but I really have not paid that close attention to the matter since I never shop with them. Like you, I have never been on their website.

Chase

BobC
11-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Hi Bob,

I had heard or read that PSA and SGC cut ties with PWCC but if someone told me I was mistaken I would not be shocked. Seems reasonable enough to me that they would want to distance themselves from PWCC but I really have not paid that close attention to the matter since I never shop with them. Like you, I have never been on their website.

Chase

Not surprised if they won't work a deal with PWCC directly, but as you said, can always go through 3rd parties.

lowpopper
11-06-2022, 01:10 AM

CSG numbers may include ebay authentic guarantee

Jay Wolt
11-06-2022, 05:48 AM
CSG numbers may include ebay authentic guarantee
Greg the graph stated "Items Graded" so it can be legit
In October they offered 20% off their fees & their fees were the lowest in the industry to begin with.

I've never submitted w/ CSG but I like their slab & hope they continue to prosper, which will keep PSA/SGC/BGS on their toes

Leon
11-06-2022, 05:58 AM
I gave CSG 25 prewar cards to grade yesterday. I hope they become at least #2 in the hobby...
And they are a ton less expensive than the others. No value limitations. So my orange border Cobby...was 15 bucks to be graded. It's definitely only AUT so why would I want to pay more!

edited to add, I think they have changed their pricing structure now, but still a good deal.

cammb
11-06-2022, 06:12 AM

That will be the day when I see an under graded PSA card!

Pat R
11-06-2022, 06:56 AM
that will be the day when i see an under graded psa card!

bobbyw8469
01-18-2023, 08:21 AM
The turnaround time seems to have slowed.....

ClementeFanOh
01-18-2023, 11:05 AM
I submitted 5 cards to SGC as part of a larger group on either Jan 2 or 3. Grades are online and cards due in hand later this week. If that is slower, I’ll gladly still take it:) Trent King

gonefishin
01-18-2023, 11:10 AM
The turnaround time seems to have slowed.....

Bob, must be dependent a little on the holidays and weather (transport mainly as they are in FL). I just received an order back that was processed amazingly fast.

Does anyone have experience in sending in vintage, autographed type 1 photos to PSA for classification and grading? If you want a nightmare experience, try that. I just received back the attached photo. I had reached the conclusion that it had been lost and was contemplating the next steps in filing a lost item claim. Of course, the photo came back with a crease through the middle that wasn't there when I sent it in - see the before and after photos - but I got it back. It was received by PSA NJ in early July 2022. This has turned into a "just glad to get back" situation.

Yoda
01-18-2023, 01:54 PM
I think most who use them believe the quick turnaround times from SGC is a good thing, and, of course, it is. But my concern is whether my cards have spent enough time in the grading room being looked at by someone who knows what they are doing. I fear that the SGC business model might put more emphasis on quick returns than doing the card justice by the grader and they are harshly grading vintage to be on the safe side. Certainly, a T3 Matty deserves far more grading attention than a Mike Trout base RC.

Travis, your nice '54 Jackie was raped by PSA. How any grader could give that a 3 is beyond a travesty.

Snowman
01-19-2023, 03:56 AM
Travis, your nice '54 Jackie was raped by PSA. How any grader could give that a 3 is beyond a travesty.

I ended up sending it to SGC after rolling my eyes at PSA. They gave it the 4 it deserved at least.

SyrNy1960
01-19-2023, 04:35 AM
I ended up sending it to SGC after rolling my eyes at PSA. They gave it the 4 it deserved at least.

That card is gorgeous for a 4!

bobbyw8469
01-19-2023, 08:02 AM
I submitted 5 cards to SGC as part of a larger group on either Jan 2 or 3. Grades are online and cards due in hand later this week. If that is slower, I’ll gladly still take it:) Trent King

THEY have slowed. But yes, they are still way faster than competitors.

steve B
01-19-2023, 08:05 AM
I think most who use them believe the quick turnaround times from SGC is a good thing, and, of course, it is. But my concern is whether my cards have spent enough time in the grading room being looked at by someone who knows what they are doing. I fear that the SGC business model might put more emphasis on quick returns than doing the card justice by the grader and they are harshly grading vintage to be on the safe side. Certainly, a T3 Matty deserves far more grading attention than a Mike Trout base RC.

With how many cards PSA does i would be surprised if any card got much of a serious look.
Their backlog was into the millions of cards.
At 2 a minute, each grader could do just under 1000 cards a day.

bobbyw8469
01-19-2023, 08:28 AM
That card is gorgeous for a 4!

Agreed.....he might have gotten a premium for it in the PSA slab as it looks really nice for the grade, but then again, you have the label snobs that are like "That is only a '3'. It is worth yadda yadda". Long story short, that card DID NOT look like a '3'. PSA's grading standards have tightened and doesn't really do their product justice.