PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to game used… advice for HOF collector?

Belfast1933
05-18-2022, 07:24 AM
Hello all

I am toying with dipping into certified (if that’s what it’s called) game used equipment and or shirts to pump my baseball “man cave”
To another level

Can I ask for general advice on:

- is it a pipe dream to imagine I could get a game used HOF jersey for under $1k?
- what are my best sources to shop, research, find authentic/legit equipment deals?
- any other game used equipment that may be cool on display but at a more affordable price point? Maybe gloves? Catchers masks? Batting gloves?

This may be a BIG mistake drifting here 😂 but I love vintage cards but would love to have some nicer complementary items to add to the “cave” See below for the look of my happy place today

Thx all

Jeff

Lordstan
05-18-2022, 08:29 AM
- is it a pipe dream to imagine I could get a game used HOF jersey for under $1k?
I am no expert on game used stuff, but I don't think you will likely be able to find game used HOF jerseys for under $1k. Perhaps old timers game type stuff or replicas might be good alternatives for display purposes.

- what are my best sources to shop, research, find authentic/legit equipment deals?
Same as for all the other stuff we buy. Lots of stuff on eBay. There are a ton of auction houses out there and game used stuff is peppered into all of them. I know there used to be one that kind of specialized in game used uninforms, but I forget the name right now. Not sure if they are still around. There are dealers that specialize in this stuff as well. Mei-Grey does a lot of jerseys, iirc. I am sure others on the board may have names of other dealers. Certainly the National in AC in July will have plenty on display.

- any other game used equipment that may be cool on display but at a more affordable price point? Maybe gloves? Catchers masks? Batting gloves?

All of the above can make for really nice displays. I have noticed that these items do tend to be less expensive than jerseys for sure. There is also a lot of more recent game used balls, bases, etc that has been released by MLB teams themselves and some of that stuff is reasonably priced and displayable.

This may be a BIG mistake drifting here [emoji23] but I love vintage cards but would love to have some nicer complementary items to add to the “cave” See below for the look of my happy place today
I know several people who display items right next to a card and it does look cool. Lots of vintage cards available that are pretty reasonably priced and easy to find.
Your mancave looks great. There is a forum post named "Show your mancave" or similar. You might want to look through it. I found some great display ideas in it for my own cave. Plus it's awesome to see all the incredible stuff out there.
Best,
Mark

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

perezfan
05-18-2022, 07:41 PM
You'd have to get very lucky to find a HOF game-used jersey for under $1K. But you can definitely find game-used bats, caps and batting gloves used by HOFers for under $1,000.

Just check all of the major auctions that run pretty much year-round. Grey Flannel just opened, and they have a ton of game-used items that may fit your criteria...

https://www.greyflannelauctions.com/catalog.aspx

Heritage, REA and SCP all tend to feature higher priced game-used memorabilia. But Hunt's, Huggins & Scott, LOTG, Crown, VSA, Mears and Grey Flannel feature high-end items as well as many more affordable game-used pieces. There is really no limit to what you might find.

Best of luck and Happy Collecting!

Ps. Awesome Fenway Table... Love it!

Dewey
05-18-2022, 08:15 PM
Great room!

SyrNy1960
05-19-2022, 08:51 AM
Straightened pictures for you

ooo-ribay
05-19-2022, 07:49 PM
You might get a Harold Baines for a K.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Jim65
05-20-2022, 05:11 AM
You might get a Harold Baines for a K.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Theres one on Ebay for $850 right now. :)

MVSNYC
05-20-2022, 08:58 AM
Great display! Just be mindful of direct sunlight hitting everything. Will fade items/cards. Even ambient light over time can...But great items!

Chris Counts
05-20-2022, 01:39 PM
Theres one on Ebay for $850 right now. :)

That's hilarious, and a reminder not to take the Hall of Fame too seriously.

Mark17
05-20-2022, 02:45 PM
For a vintage HOFer, getting a GU shirt for $1,000 isn't likely, but I have recently found 2 HOF flannels for $2500.

The first is Gaylord Perry, although it has a team number change. It's in otherwise good shape:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144531223602

And I picked up a 1971 Jim Kaat home flannel last July in a Hunt auction for about the same. Of course, nobody was certain Kaat would make the HOF at that time.

In short, if you increase your budget a bit, and especially if you're willing to delve into the more modern knits, I'll bet you can score a HOF jersey that could really be a collection centerpiece item.

71buc
05-24-2022, 06:45 AM
How about Ivan Rodriguez? His jerseys can’t be found for 1K?