PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Calls from AHs Reminding You Auction Is Closing

Snapolit1
01-07-2022, 12:22 PM
How do people feel about these?

Aquarian Sports Cards
01-07-2022, 12:26 PM
I get enough grief about my emails, don't think I'd have the balls to call unless there was a very specific reason.

mrreality68
01-07-2022, 12:42 PM
I think they are in necessary as we get email and text reminders depending on the auction house and the settings that they have and that I set up.
Some smaller AH’s call periodically when I have a relation with them and they know if an interest I have or that I am looking for something and those can sometimes be helpful.
Just like any other call I can pick up or not and it can always go to voicemail otherwise

bnorth
01-07-2022, 12:44 PM
I get enough grief about my emails, don't think I'd have the balls to call unless there was a very specific reason.

^^THIS^^ Way way way too many emails is bad enough. Phone calls would make me put them on ignore and never buy from them again.

EDIT: I just fricken got one of those calls from a AH and when I didn't answer they left a message.:(

familytoad
01-07-2022, 12:55 PM
It’s like when I was job hunting in the early 80’s :

Don’t call us, we’ll call you.

Fred
01-07-2022, 01:09 PM
Just curious - how many people that selected "Don't care either way" or "Really don't need it or appreciate it" made that selection in hope that AHs will stop sending closing notifications with the net result being bidders that forget about the closing which results in less competition? :p Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck

Aquarian Sports Cards
01-07-2022, 01:28 PM
EDIT: I just fricken got one of those calls from a AH and when I didn't answer they left a message.:(

I just wanted to say hi :D

jayshum
01-07-2022, 01:29 PM
What AHs do this? Do a lot of people actually get calls like this? I'm registered with a lot of different AHs, and I don't remember ever getting a call from any of them reminding me about an auction closing.

Yoda
01-07-2022, 01:33 PM
The direct calls IMO are an example of the furious competition between AH's to maintain existing clients and attract new ones. Many are softening their terms to benefit consignors. Let them have it.

bnorth
01-07-2022, 02:02 PM
I just wanted to say hi :D

LOL, it wasn't you but if you get in any T210 Ft Worth players I wouldn't mind a call to let me know.:D

Jewish-collector
01-07-2022, 03:01 PM
I can't figure out how the hell you all keep up with so many auction houses, ebay, B/S/T boards, etc,... going on at the same time. :eek:

JollyElm
01-07-2022, 03:25 PM
This seems relevant... :)

97. Gattling Bidder
With a bunch of auctions all ending in quick succession one after another, a person figuring out how to get all of his bids in on time.

See also: Gattling Nun - someone praying to God that all of their bids get in before the close.

midmo
01-07-2022, 03:45 PM
I can't figure out how the hell you all keep up with so many auction houses, ebay, B/S/T boards, etc,... going on at the same time. :eek:

I currently have over 40 auction houses in a folder in my favorites (I also collect other things besides sports related). I just reorder them and edit the names to reflect the auction closing date. Works easy enough for me.

I get way too many emails the way it is (not counting the hundreds I get daily for my job). Never have received a call though. I'm sure it's appreciated for deep pockets with specific want lists, but I hope calls don't become a thing for someone like me.

FrankWakefield
01-07-2022, 08:48 PM
Where was the "dislike it intensely and don't want a call unless I've asked for one" ressponse...

ElCabron
01-07-2022, 09:38 PM
The results of this poll are suprising considering the amount of whining that happens when an auction closes and a bidder forgets to bid and then blames the auction house for ending the auction.

sycks22
01-07-2022, 09:46 PM
I don't like the calls, but the worst thing is when you get 28 emails the final day telling me how great their stuff is.

ElCabron
01-07-2022, 09:51 PM
I don't like the calls, but the worst thing is when you get 28 emails the final day telling me how great their stuff is.

Pete,

I completely agree with you. It drives me crazy when auction houses overhype their stuff like that. I remember one auction house hyping a photo of a player saying it's the only photo they know of ever to depict this particular player. Meanwhile, I had 57 different photos of that player in my collection.

But what is the right balance? I do my own auctions and I regularly hear from people that I don't send enough reminder emails, but I can't stand it when other auction houses send them to me 8 days in a row and then 5 more on the day the auction ends. So I only send like 3 emails total when my auctions are running. What's the right amount?

Peter_Spaeth
01-07-2022, 09:55 PM

And even worse, some use "important" in the title. :eek:

jfkheat
01-08-2022, 12:34 AM
3 or 4 years ago I complained to one of the major auction houses about all the emails they sent the last day or two of the auction. They changed my password so I couldn't access my account any more/

Stampsfan
01-08-2022, 12:52 AM

Agreed. One the day before and the day of, I can handle.

And yes, I have received phone calls (and I am no whale). there is one auction house in particular that calls me when each auction is closing, AND I HAVE NEVER BID OR WON A LOT IN THEIR AUCTION. I figure I must have signed up years ago, but they deal in an area I have little interest.

bnorth
01-08-2022, 08:11 AM
3 or 4 years ago I complained to one of the major auction houses about all the emails they sent the last day or two of the auction. They changed my password so I couldn't access my account any more/

That is hilarious. I had the exact opposite happen. I complained about a slimy AH and then they flooded me with their advertising garbage. They even sent me stuff in the mail, at least that let me know who they got my contact info from. It was a address I hadn't used in years except to sign up for one website.

Forever Young
01-08-2022, 08:30 AM
I actually don’t find it annoying if done sparingly. I think it is a great tool for the auction house, consigners and potential buyers. I have definitely been able to add to my collection(happy) because of reminders(would have forgot).
I think a reminder the day before as well as maybe a couple hours before you need your bids in would be perfect(for me anyway).
I Definitely don’t love the calls though. Unless it would be done correctly(personal/specifically for my collecting). The standard form call that everyone gets(scripted) is like getting a call from a cruise line or car insurance.

Exhibitman
01-08-2022, 11:33 AM
Don't pester me: I already know about your auction and if anything in there is worth bidding on i've already bid. If not, your auction sucks and you should be hiding in shame, not cold-calling me.

brianp-beme
01-08-2022, 03:49 PM
I'm an apoplectic narcoleptic, so don't you dare disturb my slumber when your auction is closing.

Brian (I am neither. My rage filled, yet sleep infected brain just liked the combination of words)

Republicaninmass
01-08-2022, 03:51 PM
I put their number on my blocked list. Now they call me from a 'private number '. Guess they arent getting the message

Leon
01-09-2022, 11:17 AM
Where was the "dislike it intensely and don't want a call unless I've asked for one" ressponse...

It was on the next page, Frank.

I don't really mind them. I haven't gotten a call from one that I haven't already looked at their auction though. But I look at a lot of auctions.

shagrotn77
01-09-2022, 11:25 AM
Slightly annoying? Yes. Worth starting a poll over? No.