PDA

View Full Version : FS 1964 NBA East-West All Star game ticket

Al Parker
07-15-2021, 11:01 AM
This is a vintage ticket stub to one of the most historic All Star games in NBA history. It was played on Jan. 14, 1964 at the Boston Gardens and the rosters are jammed with Hall of Famers. For the East squad it was Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Jerry Lucas, Sam Jones and Wayne Embry as starters. The West starters were Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Bob Pettit, Elgin Baylor and Walt Bellamy. The East won 111-107 and The Big O was named MVP.
But what made this game notable was the threat of a strike by the players, who refused to play just before the game unless the owners agreed to recognize the players' union. The owners agreed primarily because it was the first All-Star Game to be televised and if it were not played due to strike it would have been embarrassing at a time when the NBA was still attempting to gain national exposure. The NBA did not have a national TV contract at the time, but ABC agreed to televise the All-Star game and consider a contract for continuing coverage. They made it clear that if the All-Star Game was not played, ABC would drop its interest completely. This led directly to many rights and freedoms not previously extended to professional basketball players
This ticket is for a balcony seat at this historic game and originally sold for only $3. But attendance of the game was only 13,464 and most of them probably didn't save their tickets.
I'm offering this great collectible for only $30 via paypal F&F and I'll pay for the shipping. Thanks.

NiceDocter
07-15-2021, 11:17 AM
PM sent

JustinD
07-18-2021, 08:24 AM
If this is not sold as of yet, I will take it.