PDA

View Full Version : "Setbreak" as keyword spam

Peter_Spaeth
07-02-2021, 04:56 PM
Seeing this more and more. People listing "setbreak" in a title who in fact have few or even one from the set. I guess no harm no foul but seems a bit iffy to me.

jayshum
07-02-2021, 05:45 PM
This has confused me as well when there is only one card that they have listed from the set.

swarmee
07-02-2021, 06:24 PM
1) They may have had a set break last week and those are the cards that didn't sell or were relisted.

2) They clicked "sell one like this" and eBay filled the title for them based on the listing they used to create it. (Happens a lot with PSA/SGC titles on ungraded cards as well.)

3) Or it's just keyword spamming.

Eric72
07-02-2021, 06:37 PM
I have seen this occasionally when running one of my saved searches. Since I never use the keyword "setbreak" when looking for a card, though, it doesn't bother me.

mrreality68
07-03-2021, 08:12 AM
I have seen this occasionally when running one of my saved searches. Since I never use the keyword "setbreak" when looking for a card, though, it doesn't bother me.

It does not bother me either. But I think Sellers might be doing it to try drawing more people to "their Card" trying to create the sense of urgency to buy. Kind of like the "Used Car Salesman" that will say anything to get the customer or un informed customer to buy

Jobu
07-03-2021, 09:09 AM
Whenever I see this I wonder who the hell actually adds "set break" to their searches. I'll set the over/under at 1 person. :)

Casey2296
07-03-2021, 10:00 AM
Being a West Coast boy I always think of Wave sets” or “Reef breaks” when I see this term.

Eric72
07-03-2021, 10:38 AM
It does not bother me either. But I think Sellers might be doing it to try drawing more people to "their Card" trying to create the sense of urgency to buy. Kind of like the "Used Car Salesman" that will say anything to get the customer or un informed customer to buy

I *think* the reason might be a case of uninformed sellers. Imagine this:

A new eBay seller looks up comps on a card they're going to sell. For the sake of discussion, let's say they see 5-10 copies have sold in the last 30 (or 60, or 90) days. One of those copies sold for more money than any other, and it just happened to have "set break" in the title.

They list their card for a high BIN price - with "set break" in the title - and it sells. Now, the seller thinks they've stumbled across some nugget of wisdom. They share the "secret" with their circle of friends and it spreads like herpes. :eek:

At this point, the whole thing is becoming a self-inflicted misinformation campaign.

mrreality68
07-03-2021, 12:48 PM
I *think* the reason might be a case of uninformed sellers. Imagine this:

A new eBay seller looks up comps on a card they're going to sell. For the sake of discussion, let's say they see 5-10 copies have sold in the last 30 (or 60, or 90) days. One of those copies sold for more money than any other, and it just happened to have "set break" in the title.

They list their card for a high BIN price - with "set break" in the title - and it sells. Now, the seller thinks they've stumbled across some nugget of wisdom. They share the "secret" with their circle of friends and it spreads like herpes. :eek:

At this point, the whole thing is becoming a self-inflicted misinformation campaign.

Agree 100%