PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Postcard - Grover Alexander?

tlhss
06-26-2021, 07:42 PM
I recently purchased this postcard since I have a cross-collection interest in baseball and military history.

However, I also knew that the 342nd Field Artillery Baseball Team fielded multiple professional players ... the most well known being Grover Alexander.

I'm not great at matching up photos, so I'm wondering if folks can let me know if they think that Grover is the player seated in the front row, in his baseball uniform ... first on the left.

No big deal if I'm wrong. I purchased the card because of the connection to the 342nd. Finding a HOFer in the picture would be an added bonus.

Thanks for your help ... Tim

Hankphenom
06-26-2021, 07:46 PM
I don't see much resemblance, if any.

Prince Hal
06-28-2021, 10:05 AM
To me, the fifth man standing from the left in uniform has a resemblance. But you may have another HOFer too. The first man standing looks like Eppa Rixey, who also serve in WWI. Eppa was 6'5" however and that dude looks shorter than the 6'1" dude that may be Alexander.

oldeboo
06-28-2021, 10:35 AM
Here's another image of the 342nd:
https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/225688/page/1

With names:
https://www.kansasmemory.org/item/225688

I'd say there is a good chance some of those faces look similar. You really need input from the true ear experts though. Some calves could be examined as well. Grover had rather slender calves compared to his peers. :D

All joking aside, the above links might provide you with some of the best comparisons in regards to time period and age.

the-illini
06-28-2021, 11:01 AM
To me, the fifth man standing from the left in uniform has a resemblance. But you may have another HOFer too. The first man standing looks like Eppa Rixey, who also serve in WWI. Eppa was 6'5" however and that dude looks shorter than the 6'1" dude that may be Alexander.

Agree - the 5th from left bears a resemblance to Grover - hard to tell without a zoomed in photo though

tlhss
06-28-2021, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone for taking a look!

I'll do some additional research, and see if I can post some additional photos of the named players.

Thanks again ... Tim

tlhss
06-29-2021, 10:47 AM
First try using some software that allows enlargement with keeping some level of clarity. With the enlargement, I don't thing the gentleman standing 5th to the left in army uniform is Grover. Couple reasons ... the gentleman is an officer, and Grover was probably a corporal at this time, and he is wearing glasses. I couldn't find a period photo of Grover wearing glasses.

I'll keep looking. It's a fun exercise.

oldeboo
06-29-2021, 12:53 PM
Yeah, certainly not him. Grover was 6'1" I believe. He was tall, but he would not have towered over his peers. If you look at the link above he was about the same height or slightly taller than fellow team members. That gentleman in the back row is probably 6'4" or 6'5" using the context of all of the other people standing.